xul is linked twice

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

xul is linked twice

cstkingkey
In linux pgo builds, xul is linked twice at least during profile use phase.
Can it be avoided?
_______________________________________________
dev-builds mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xul is linked twice

Ted Mielczarek-2
On 12/6/2014 11:59 PM, Cst King wrote:
> In linux pgo builds, xul is linked twice at least during profile use phase.
> Can it be avoided?
>
If it's getting linked twice during the second phase that's a bug. If
you mean it's getting linked twice total, then that's intended. PGO
builds first build an instrumented build (the first link), and then
after profiling rebuild using the data from profiling to generate better
code (the second link). If you're seeing something else you should file
a bug and provide build logs.

-Ted

_______________________________________________
dev-builds mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xul is linked twice

cstkingkey
In reply to this post by cstkingkey
On Monday, December 8, 2014 1:39:48 AM UTC+8, Ted Mielczarek wrote:

> On 12/6/2014 11:59 PM, Cst King wrote:
> > In linux pgo builds, xul is linked twice at least during profile use phase.
> > Can it be avoided?
> >
> If it's getting linked twice during the second phase that's a bug. If
> you mean it's getting linked twice total, then that's intended. PGO
> builds first build an instrumented build (the first link), and then
> after profiling rebuild using the data from profiling to generate better
> code (the second link). If you're seeing something else you should file
> a bug and provide build logs.
>
> -Ted

https://tbpl.mozilla.org/php/getParsedLog.php?id=54110988&tree=Mozilla-Inbound&full=1

chmod +x libxul.so five times
rm -f libxul.so          five times

Is it normal?
_______________________________________________
dev-builds mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xul is linked twice

cstkingkey
On Monday, December 8, 2014 11:54:51 AM UTC+8, Cst King wrote:
>
> https://tbpl.mozilla.org/php/getParsedLog.php?id=54110988&tree=Mozilla-Inbound&full=1
>
> chmod +x libxul.so five times
> rm -f libxul.so          five times
>
> Is it normal?

If it's normal, can it be avoided since this significantly increases the build time of lto builds.
_______________________________________________
dev-builds mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xul is linked twice

Ted Mielczarek-2
In reply to this post by cstkingkey
On 12/7/2014 10:54 PM, Cst King wrote:

> On Monday, December 8, 2014 1:39:48 AM UTC+8, Ted Mielczarek wrote:
>> On 12/6/2014 11:59 PM, Cst King wrote:
>>> In linux pgo builds, xul is linked twice at least during profile use phase.
>>> Can it be avoided?
>>>
>> If it's getting linked twice during the second phase that's a bug. If
>> you mean it's getting linked twice total, then that's intended. PGO
>> builds first build an instrumented build (the first link), and then
>> after profiling rebuild using the data from profiling to generate better
>> code (the second link). If you're seeing something else you should file
>> a bug and provide build logs.
>>
>> -Ted
> https://tbpl.mozilla.org/php/getParsedLog.php?id=54110988&tree=Mozilla-Inbound&full=1
>
> chmod +x libxul.so five times
> rm -f libxul.so          five times
>
> Is it normal?
>

I'd have to do some analysis to check exactly, but on everything but
Windows PGO builds we link a second copy of libxul.so with some C++
tests linked in (currently done during make check in this Makefile[1]).
It's pretty likely that that's what you're seeing. If that's a problem
for LTO builds we could disable it there, that's the exact reason we
have it disabled for Win32 PGO builds, since they're also LTO and the
link phase takes forever.

-Ted

1. http://dxr.mozilla.org/mozilla-central/source/testing/gtest/Makefile.in

_______________________________________________
dev-builds mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xul is linked twice

Mike Hommey
In reply to this post by cstkingkey
On Sun, Dec 07, 2014 at 07:54:49PM -0800, Cst King wrote:

> On Monday, December 8, 2014 1:39:48 AM UTC+8, Ted Mielczarek wrote:
> > On 12/6/2014 11:59 PM, Cst King wrote:
> > > In linux pgo builds, xul is linked twice at least during profile use phase.
> > > Can it be avoided?
> > >
> > If it's getting linked twice during the second phase that's a bug. If
> > you mean it's getting linked twice total, then that's intended. PGO
> > builds first build an instrumented build (the first link), and then
> > after profiling rebuild using the data from profiling to generate better
> > code (the second link). If you're seeing something else you should file
> > a bug and provide build logs.
> >
> > -Ted
>
> https://tbpl.mozilla.org/php/getParsedLog.php?id=54110988&tree=Mozilla-Inbound&full=1
>
> chmod +x libxul.so five times
> rm -f libxul.so          five times
>
> Is it normal?

No it's not, it should be built three times:
- Once with profile-generate
- Once with profile-use
- Once for gtest, as mentioned by Ted.

The log you link shows it built twice for both profile-generate and
profile-use, which is not expected.

Please file a bug.

Mike
_______________________________________________
dev-builds mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xul is linked twice

cstkingkey
In reply to this post by cstkingkey
https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1108858

_______________________________________________
dev-builds mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-builds