xpinstall future

rvj

xpinstall future

rvj
can anyone clarify (sugest  url? ) what the roadmap is  for xpinstall ?

my understanding is that xulrunner 1.3 (firefox 2+)  will use the  NSIS
installer?

will the two installers be alternatives (pros and cons) ?

Re: xpinstall future

Benjamin Smedberg
rvj wrote:
> can anyone clarify (sugest  url? ) what the roadmap is  for xpinstall ?

There is not a solid future plan for xpinstall. I would like to remove it
entirely if possible (in favor of only supporting extensions). We know that
it already doesn't work on Windows Vista.

We are certainly working on removing support for xpinstall as a standalone
installer (as opposed to an install mechanism from within the app).

> my understanding is that xulrunner 1.3 (firefox 2+)  will use the  NSIS
> installer?

Firefox has used the NSIS installer since Firefox 2.0. I expect that
whenever XULRunner grows an installer it will either be an MSI or a NSIS
installer.

--BDS
rvj

Re: xpinstall future

rvj
I presume this wont have any licensing implications ?

"Benjamin Smedberg" <[hidden email]> wrote in message
news:[hidden email]...
> rvj wrote:
> > can anyone clarify (sugest  url? ) what the roadmap is  for xpinstall ?
>
> There is not a solid future plan for xpinstall. I would like to remove it
> entirely if possible (in favor of only supporting extensions). We know
that

> it already doesn't work on Windows Vista.
>
> We are certainly working on removing support for xpinstall as a standalone
> installer (as opposed to an install mechanism from within the app).
>
> > my understanding is that xulrunner 1.3 (firefox 2+)  will use the  NSIS
> > installer?
>
> Firefox has used the NSIS installer since Firefox 2.0. I expect that
> whenever XULRunner grows an installer it will either be an MSI or a NSIS
> installer.
>
> --BDS

Re: xpinstall future

Benjamin Smedberg
rvj wrote:
> I presume this wont have any licensing implications ?

No, why would it?

--BDS