xml schema: not all fields are validated on input

xml schema: not all fields are validated on input

Pieter Hartog
I am working on an xform where I am importing the xml schema externally.
Some fields in the schema are xsd:date fields.
Without defining any bind elements in the xform, some of the date fields are rendered with a date picker field  - as expected.
However, other date fields are not rendered as a date field with a date picker. I these fields, I can enter any value, but they never turn red indicating a failed validation.

There is no difference between the correctly rendered fields and the incorrectly rendered fields, except that the non-rendered fields are a few levels deeper in the xml structure. Also, the incorrectly rendered fields are in a different switch-case group than the correctly rendered fields.

The same applies for IDREF fields, number fields etc; some fields are validated correctly, but others are not.

The common denominator seems to be that the non-validating fields are deeper in the XML structure.

Are there any limitations to the validation of fields using an external XML schema?

RE: not all fields are validated on input

Klotz, Leigh
Just a quick question without reference to possible Mozilla bugs: have
you tested instances of your XML and the Schema with an XML Schema
validator and made sure that the Schema properly describes them?
Leigh.

RE: not all fields are validated on input

Pieter Hartog
Good question.
I double checked the validity by copying the instance from xforms buddy and pasted it in my xml editor and validate it with the same schema...
And I found an error; one field did not match validation. The problem was a field that was included in the xform, but not defined in the schema. (a field unrelated to the date fields).

After fixing this error all other fields validated correctly!!!

So that was the answer; make sure the schema is totally in sync with the xform instance, otherwise nothing or only part of the xml structure will validate.

Thank you!

Klotz, Leigh wrote