xforms-hide

Klotz, Leigh
Carl,

We discussed your xforms-hide issue today at the Forms WG meeting, based
on a mail note I forwarded:
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2008Jun/0035.html

We agreed that the use case you describe is valuable and that a solution
should reduce both authoring and execution complexity.

We did not reach consensus on your specific proposal of xforms-hide, but
we did agree to keep the use case on hand to test other, more general
ideas we have on the table for future versions.

Additionally, we agreed to add to XForms 2.0 a case() XPath  function to
parallel the repeat index() XPath function.

Note that there is already a way in XForms 1.1 to use toggle to specify
a computed case: http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms11/#action-toggle-case and
the proposed case() XPath function would be the dual of this toggle/case
element, returning the currently selected case for the indicated
switch.   We believe that with switch/case and toggle, it should be
possible to convert this from an 26*4 problem to a 1*4 problem.

However, we agree that a solution that allows the author to be more
expressive would be better, and will be using this use case to test more
general solutions we already have planned for higher-order expression.

Thank you,
Leigh.

Re: xforms-hide

dr.cw.ray
On Sep 18, 12:16 am, "Leigh L. Klotz, Jr." <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Carl,
>
> We discussed your xforms-hide issue today at the Forms WG meeting, based
> on a mail note I forwarded:http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-forms/2008Jun/0035.html
>
> We agreed that the use case you describe is valuable and that a solution
> should reduce both authoring and execution complexity.
>
> We did not reach consensus on your specific proposal of xforms-hide, but
> we did agree to keep the use case on hand to test other, more general
> ideas we have on the table for future versions.
>
> Additionally, we agreed to add to XForms 2.0 a case() XPath  function to
> parallel the repeat index() XPath function.
>
> Note that there is already a way in XForms 1.1 to use toggle to specify
> a computed case:http://www.w3.org/TR/xforms11/#action-toggle-caseand
> the proposed case() XPath function would be the dual of this toggle/case
> element, returning the currently selected case for the indicated
> switch.   We believe that with switch/case and toggle, it should be
> possible to convert this from an 26*4 problem to a 1*4 problem.
>
> However, we agree that a solution that allows the author to be more
> expressive would be better, and will be using this use case to test more
> general solutions we already have planned for higher-order expression.
>
> Thank you,
> Leigh.

Leigh,
Sorry I've been absent from the board for a bit due to setting up
courses for the new semester here in Taiwan, keeping me rather busy.

That is excellent news!    I was building a table of contents for
another app of mine lately and  really felt that need for such
toggle.  I'm really excited about this new element.

I hope to be posting an open source xforms blog and a mini-CMS app
this semester and those interested might get a look at how I use that
toggle (now in the switch/case form).

Thanks to all who volunteer and work so hard for all us users out
here.  :)

Cheers!
Carl