xforms:group and stylesheets in Firefox XForms version 0.8

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

xforms:group and stylesheets in Firefox XForms version 0.8

Chip Bourne
      All,

      Why does the xforms:group[ref="@firstname"] introduce additional
whitespace in the example below? It seems whenever I use an xforms:group, my
styling in Firefox introduces unwanted whitespace.



<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
xmlns:xf="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms"
xmlns:ev="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events">    <head>        <title/>
<style type="text/css"><![CDATA[    @namespace xf
url('http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms');    xf|output { white-space:
rap; }    ]]></style>        <xf:model>            <xf:instance>
<data xmlns="" firstname="Tom" surname="Jackson"/>            </xf:instance>
</xf:model>    </head>    <body>        <xf:output id="group">
<xf:input ref="@firstname">                 <xf:label>First Name</xf:label>
</xf:input>             <xf:group ref="@firstname">
<xf:input ref=".">                      <xf:label>First Name</xf:label>
</xf:input>             </xf:group>             <xf:input ref="@firstname">
<xf:label>First Name</xf:label>             </xf:input>
<xf:input ref="@surname">                 <xf:label>Surname</xf:label>
</xf:input>        </xf:output>    </body></html>


      Thanks in advance,
      --------------------------
      Chip Bourne
      Applications Business Unit
      GENBAND, Inc.







begin 666 blue_rule.gif
C1TE&.#EA`0`!`( ``)BQQ ```"P``````0`!```"`D0!`#L`
`
end

begin 666 c.gif
K1TE&.#EA`0`!`(#_`,# P ```"'Y! $`````+ `````!``$```("1 $`.P``
`
end

_______________________________________________
dev-tech-xforms mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-xforms
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xforms:group and stylesheets in Firefox XForms version 0.8

Aaron Reed
Hi Chip,

I don't understand what you mean.  What unwanted whitespace?  xf:group
is display:block, if that is what you mean.  That is why things before
and after it are on a different line.  But using version 0.8.0.3, I
don't see anything wrong in your example.  Maybe if you explain what you
think should be seen, that would help.

BTW, you have a CSS error in your xf:output rule.

--Aaron

Chip Bourne wrote:

>       All,
>
>       Why does the xforms:group[ref="@firstname"] introduce additional
> whitespace in the example below? It seems whenever I use an xforms:group, my
> styling in Firefox introduces unwanted whitespace.
>
>
>
> <html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
> xmlns:xf="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms"
> xmlns:ev="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events">    <head>        <title/>
> <style type="text/css"><![CDATA[    @namespace xf
> url('http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms');    xf|output { white-space:
> rap; }    ]]></style>        <xf:model>            <xf:instance>
> <data xmlns="" firstname="Tom" surname="Jackson"/>            </xf:instance>
> </xf:model>    </head>    <body>        <xf:output id="group">
> <xf:input ref="@firstname">                 <xf:label>First Name</xf:label>
> </xf:input>             <xf:group ref="@firstname">
> <xf:input ref=".">                      <xf:label>First Name</xf:label>
> </xf:input>             </xf:group>             <xf:input ref="@firstname">
> <xf:label>First Name</xf:label>             </xf:input>
> <xf:input ref="@surname">                 <xf:label>Surname</xf:label>
> </xf:input>        </xf:output>    </body></html>
>
>
>       Thanks in advance,
>       --------------------------
>       Chip Bourne
>       Applications Business Unit
>       GENBAND, Inc.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
_______________________________________________
dev-tech-xforms mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-xforms
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xforms:group and stylesheets in Firefox XForms version 0.8

Chip Bourne

Aaron,

> I don't understand what you mean.  What unwanted whitespace?  xf:group is
> display:block, if that is what you mean.

This is exactly what I meant (although I didn't know that I meant it, until
I read your reply ;)
I wasn't understanding why my browser was displaying whitespace (lindefeeds)
whenever I used group.
With,
    group { display:inline; }
It now appears as I want.  Why is group defaulted to display:block?

Thanks again,
Chip

   --------------------------
  Chip Bourne
  Applications Business Unit
  GENBAND, Inc.


_______________________________________________
dev-tech-xforms mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-xforms
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xforms:group and stylesheets in Firefox XForms version 0.8

Aaron Reed
Hi Chip,

We made it a block element in part because that is how other processors
had already done it and we wanted to be compatible with other processors
as much as possible.  Also it seemed logical.  Similar to html:div,
xf:group is meant to be a container for other elements and an easy way
to keep a group of controls apart from surrounding controls is to put
them on different lines.

--Aaron

Chip Bourne wrote:

> Aaron,
>
>> I don't understand what you mean.  What unwanted whitespace?  xf:group is
>> display:block, if that is what you mean.
>
> This is exactly what I meant (although I didn't know that I meant it, until
> I read your reply ;)
> I wasn't understanding why my browser was displaying whitespace (lindefeeds)
> whenever I used group.
> With,
>     group { display:inline; }
> It now appears as I want.  Why is group defaulted to display:block?
>
> Thanks again,
> Chip
>
>    --------------------------
>   Chip Bourne
>   Applications Business Unit
>   GENBAND, Inc.
>
>
_______________________________________________
dev-tech-xforms mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-xforms
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xforms:group and stylesheets in Firefox XForms version 0.8

Chip Bourne
Aaron,

Now that I've started to use "display: inline" for my group's, I've run into
a behaviour I do not quite understand.
In the following example, I expect the the form should have an input for
surname element only (which it does); but, when I include the group display
inline style... my xhtml now displays "Person has a first name" eventhough
firstname does not appear in my instance.

Thanks for all your help.


<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
xmlns:xf="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms"
    xmlns:ev="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events">
    <head>
        <title/>
        <style type="text/css"><![CDATA[
    @namespace xf url('http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms');
     /* xf|group { display: inline; } */
    ]]></style>
        <xf:model>
            <xf:instance>
                <data xmlns="">
                    <surname>Jackson</surname>
                </data>
            </xf:instance>
        </xf:model>
    </head>
    <body>
        <xf:group ref="firstname">
             <xf:output>Person has a first name </xf:output>
        </xf:group>
        <xf:input ref="surname">
            <xf:label>Surname</xf:label>
        </xf:input>
    </body>
</html>

-- Chip



--
--------------------------
Chip Bourne
Applications Business Unit
GENBAND, Inc.
[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
dev-tech-xforms mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-xforms
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

RE: xforms:group and stylesheets in Firefox XForms version 0.8

Klotz, Leigh
This one annoys me too.  I think Mozilla has it wrong, and xf|group
should not override xf|group:disabled but it may very well be that
Mozilla has it right and by some quirk of CSS we must all go around
specifying xf|group:enabled {display: inline;} from now on.

There's some info here
http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-xformstipmozillacss/
but I can't vouch for its current accuracy.

Leigh.

-----Original Message-----
From: [hidden email]
[mailto:[hidden email]] On Behalf Of Chip
Bourne
Sent: Friday, August 10, 2007 11:34 AM
To: [hidden email]
Subject: Re: xforms:group and stylesheets in Firefox XForms version 0.8

Aaron,

Now that I've started to use "display: inline" for my group's, I've run
into
a behaviour I do not quite understand.
In the following example, I expect the the form should have an input for

surname element only (which it does); but, when I include the group
display
inline style... my xhtml now displays "Person has a first name"
eventhough
firstname does not appear in my instance.

Thanks for all your help.


<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
xmlns:xf="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms"
    xmlns:ev="http://www.w3.org/2001/xml-events">
    <head>
        <title/>
        <style type="text/css"><![CDATA[
    @namespace xf url('http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms');
     /* xf|group { display: inline; } */
    ]]></style>
        <xf:model>
            <xf:instance>
                <data xmlns="">
                    <surname>Jackson</surname>
                </data>
            </xf:instance>
        </xf:model>
    </head>
    <body>
        <xf:group ref="firstname">
             <xf:output>Person has a first name </xf:output>
        </xf:group>
        <xf:input ref="surname">
            <xf:label>Surname</xf:label>
        </xf:input>
    </body>
</html>

-- Chip



--
--------------------------
Chip Bourne
Applications Business Unit
GENBAND, Inc.
[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
dev-tech-xforms mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-xforms
_______________________________________________
dev-tech-xforms mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-xforms
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: xforms:group and stylesheets in Firefox XForms version 0.8

Chip Bourne
In reply to this post by Chip Bourne
Leigh,

Thanks very much -- the enabled property on my groups have done the trick.

Chip


--
--------------------------
Chip Bourne
Applications Business Unit
GENBAND, Inc.
[hidden email]


_______________________________________________
dev-tech-xforms mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-tech-xforms