www.speedtest.net

Alan Beagley-2
Is anybody able to use www.speedtest.net with FF on OS/2 / eCS?

It used to work for me, but now, whether with FF3.6.16 or with FF4 (and
Flash10 preview2), I get an ever-changing display with no way of
clicking on anything.

-=-
Alan

Re: www.speedtest.net

James Moe-3
On 04/28/2011 09:19 AM, Alan Beagley wrote:
> Is anybody able to use www.speedtest.net with FF on OS/2 / eCS?
>
> It used to work for me, but now, whether with FF3.6.16 or with FF4 (and
> Flash10 preview2), I get an ever-changing display with no way of
> clicking on anything.

  The page loaded and then FF became a zombie process; the WPS became
unresponsive. It required a hard reboot.
  FF4 has Noscript and Flashblock installed; flash never even get started.

--
James Moe
jmm-list at sohnen-moe dot com

Re: www.speedtest.net

Steve Wendt
On 4/28/2011 9:19 AM, Alan Beagley wrote:

> Is anybody able to use www.speedtest.net with FF on OS/2 / eCS?
>
> It used to work for me, but now, whether with FF3.6.16 or with FF4 (and
> Flash10 preview2), I get an ever-changing display with no way of
> clicking on anything.

I would think this has everything to do with Flash, and nothing to do
with the browser?  I do see (on Windows) that the SpeedTest applet is
completely different now.

Re: www.speedtest.net

Steve Wendt
On 4/28/2011 10:21 AM, James Moe wrote:

> FF4 has Noscript and Flashblock installed; flash never even get started.

Flashblock doesn't prevent Flash from starting; it doesn't stop the
Flash7 wrapper does not, I don't know about the Flash10 wrapper).

The only proper test is to not have the Flash plugin present.

Re: www.speedtest.net

Andreas Schnellbacher
Steve Wendt wrote:

> On 4/28/2011 9:19 AM, Alan Beagley wrote:
>
>> Is anybody able to use www.speedtest.net with FF on OS/2 / eCS?
>>
>> It used to work for me, but now, whether with FF3.6.16 or with FF4 (and
>> Flash10 preview2), I get an ever-changing display with no way of
>> clicking on anything.

Confirmed, but that bug of the Flash 10 preview is known.

After I hit the Esc key, I could see more than just the browser window
frame. (Apparently a hidden dialog waited for a user action.)

> I would think this has everything to do with Flash, and nothing to do
> with the browser?  I do see (on Windows) that the SpeedTest applet is
> completely different now.

(I wonder, which sites people use for standard stuff. I would at first
look at Steve Gibson's site [1] if I could find anything, then would
search on the c't/heise.de page [2] for such a tool/site.)

[1] http://www.grc.com/intro.htm
[2] http://www.heise.de/software/

--
Andreas Schnellbacher

Re: www.speedtest.net

Steve Wendt
Steve Wendt wrote:

> The only proper test is to not have the Flash plugin present.

Which yields a message like this:

Speedtest.net requires at least version 10 of Flash. Please update your
client.

If you have version 10 or newer installed but are still getting this
message, then make sure you have JavaScript enabled. We use the very
popular JavaScript package SWFObject to detect your Flash version. If
you are certain that JavaScript is enabled, then there could be an error
in your Flash installation.

Re: www.speedtest.net

James Moe-3
On 04/28/2011 10:35 AM, Steve Wendt wrote:
> On 4/28/2011 10:21 AM, James Moe wrote:
>
>> FF4 has Noscript and Flashblock installed; flash never even get started.
>
> Flashblock doesn't prevent Flash from starting; it doesn't stop the
> Flash7 wrapper does not, I don't know about the Flash10 wrapper).

  Noscript has JS disabled for a site by default. I never got a chance
to enable JS.

On 4/29/2011 11:40 AM, James Moe wrote:

>>> FF4 has Noscript and Flashblock installed; flash never even get started.
>>
>> Flashblock doesn't prevent Flash from starting; it doesn't stop the
>> Flash7 wrapper does not, I don't know about the Flash10 wrapper).
>>
>    Noscript has JS disabled for a site by default. I never got a chance
> to enable JS.

Which means that Flash will always load in your case.  You might get the
Flashblock 'click to play' but you aren't blocking anything at all.