windows default programs settings.

Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo
I'm trying to help someone out, but he's not understanding.
  So, what I'm looking for is a free program that will
access the windows default programs setting.  I'm talking
about these settings here:
http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Setting_default_browser_manually

I want to know if there is a free program that will access
these and give you more control over whats default and whats
not? And yes, I'm aware of the programs listed below, but
they don't work for SeaMonkey, just Firefox.

Thanks

Grant

disregarded!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: windows default programs settings.

Robert Blair-2
On 10/15/2007 2:13 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:

> I'm trying to help someone out, but he's not understanding.
>   So, what I'm looking for is a free program that will
> access the windows default programs setting.  I'm talking
> about these settings here:
> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Setting_default_browser_manually
>
> I want to know if there is a free program that will access
> these and give you more control over whats default and whats
> not? And yes, I'm aware of the programs listed below, but
> they don't work for SeaMonkey, just Firefox.
>
> Thanks
>
> Grant

I find that giving step-by-step, cookbook-style, numbered instructions
can help.  To do that, however, you need to know what version of Windows
is in use since the names of buttons and windows change from version to
version.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Natural foods can be harmful:  Look at all the
people who die of natural causes.

David E. Ross wrote:

> On 10/15/2007 2:13 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>> I'm trying to help someone out, but he's not understanding.
>>   So, what I'm looking for is a free program that will
>> access the windows default programs setting.  I'm talking
>> about these settings here:
>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Setting_default_browser_manually
>>
>> I want to know if there is a free program that will access
>> these and give you more control over whats default and whats
>> not? And yes, I'm aware of the programs listed below, but
>> they don't work for SeaMonkey, just Firefox.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Grant
>>

> I find that giving step-by-step, cookbook-style, numbered instructions
> can help.  To do that, however, you need to know what version of Windows
> is in use since the names of buttons and windows change from version to
> version.

some people, no matter how much you detail directions, just
can't follow them.  Thats why I think a program that can
access these settings would be better for them.

disregarded!!!!

http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

Re: windows default programs settings.

Michael Gordon
Michael at Armadilloweb.com pondered over this reply On 10/15/2007 11:49 PM

> David E. Ross wrote:
>> On 10/15/2007 2:13 PM, Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo wrote:
>>> I'm trying to help someone out, but he's not understanding.
>>>   So, what I'm looking for is a free program that will
>>> access the windows default programs setting.  I'm talking
>>> about these settings here:
>>> http://kb.mozillazine.org/Default_browser#Setting_default_browser_manually
>>>
>>> I want to know if there is a free program that will access
>>> these and give you more control over whats default and whats
>>> not? And yes, I'm aware of the programs listed below, but
>>> they don't work for SeaMonkey, just Firefox.
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Grant
>>>
>> I find that giving step-by-step, cookbook-style, numbered instructions
>> can help.  To do that, however, you need to know what version of Windows
>> is in use since the names of buttons and windows change from version to
>> version.
>>

> some people, no matter how much you detail directions, just
> can't follow them.  Thats why I think a program that can
> access these settings would be better for them.

So, how are you going to teach them to press the "GO" button?

Michael

Posting To Mozilla.Test.Multimedia <http://ilias.ca/mozilla.test.multimedia>

SeaMonkey <http://www.mozilla.org/projects/seamonkey/>
The "All In One Internet Application Suite"

Re: windows default programs settings.

JM-43
"Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" ...
> some people, no matter how much you detail directions, just
> can't follow them.  That's why I think a program that can
> access these settings would be better for them.

Were the settings originally working.  I had a problem with web pages
in email that did not have an extension, suddenly not working and could not
change the settings to Firefox for  some and other settings seemed to be missing.
I could simply be my unfamiliarity with Vista but with Firefox simply not in the
choices for protocols  http:  and https:,  I couldn't figure out how to add it.

I reinstalled Firefox and no more problem with email.

Don't know what caused the problem in the first place, but it was only
a few days ago.
--
HTH,
David McRitchie,

Re: windows default programs settings.

ovidiu grigorescu
David McRitchie wrote:

> "Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo" ...
>> some people, no matter how much you detail directions, just can't
>> follow them.  That's why I think a program that can access these
>> settings would be better for them.
>
> Were the settings originally working.  I had a problem with web pages
> in email that did not have an extension, suddenly not working and
> could not change the settings to Firefox for  some and other settings
> seemed to be missing.
> I could simply be my unfamiliarity with Vista but with Firefox simply
> not in the
> choices for protocols  http:  and https:,  I couldn't figure out how
> to add it.
>
> I reinstalled Firefox and no more problem with email.
>
> Don't know what caused the problem in the first place, but it was only
> a few days ago.
    so it's done, ok? but for the sake of discussion
in vista you have Control Panel\Programs\Default Programs
and then 2 things, Set default prog.. and Assoc file.. Can go for both,
but maybe is easier to
'Set default..'- and u have two options.. set for all it can handle
(simple) or choose (if u know what..).
    Maybe it's not going by default for both, or whatever, cause I dunno
for sure, but I had this problem of opening Ie for links in Tb and other
alike, althow tb an ff appear as default for web and mail when installed
etc. Those settings above did it.
    There are also some tricks (understandable) as for some things to
still lead one into Ie, as in the os things are based on Ie, and for
example from sidebar (gadgets) one will most of the time go for links in
ie, as the gadgets are  pages opened already in ie ( I say 'most of the
time' cause some may be better designed, accuweather opens it in ff)