why oh why

usenetopian
why is the stable release at 17.06 but the beta is 22.?

is it just to tag along Firefox numbers?

just wondering

Re: why oh why

WaltS-3
On 06/06/2013 12:54 AM, usenetopian wrote:
> why is the stable release at 17.06 but the beta is 22.?
>
> is it just to tag along Firefox numbers?
>
> just wondering

The stable release is 17.0.6.

[excerpt quote]

Mozilla is focusing a lot of its efforts towards important web and
mobile projects, while Thunderbird remains a pure desktop only email
client. We have come to the conclusion that continued innovation on
Thunderbird is not a priority for Mozilla and that the most critical
needs for the product are on-going security and stability. In fact, it
is quite possible that Thunderbird is already pretty much what its users
want and there is not a high demand for innovation in this field.

 From Thunderbird 17, releases will generally follow the ESR branch.

[/quote]

Ref: <https://wiki.mozilla.org/Thunderbird/New_Release_and_Governance_Model>

Next ESR branch is 24.0, so they have to build on each new Gecko
platform, and test to find bugs so they don't make it into TB 24.0.

That is the way this user understands it.

--
openSUSE 12.3 (64-bit) KDE 4.10.2
Thunderbird Release

Re: why oh why

usenetopian
On 6/6/2013 10:14 AM, WaltS wrote:

> On 06/06/2013 12:54 AM, usenetopian wrote:
>> why is the stable release at 17.06 but the beta is 22.?
>>
>> is it just to tag along Firefox numbers?
>>
>> just wondering
>>

> The stable release is 17.0.6.
>
> [excerpt quote]
>
> Mozilla is focusing a lot of its efforts towards important web and
> mobile<snip>

How is the beta version of TB as it stands now? buggy or ok?

Re: why oh why

Wayne Mery
On 6/7/2013 1:18 PM, usenetopian wrote:

> On 6/6/2013 10:14 AM, WaltS wrote:
>> On 06/06/2013 12:54 AM, usenetopian wrote:
>>> why is the stable release at 17.06 but the beta is 22.?
>>>
>>> is it just to tag along Firefox numbers?
>>>
>>> just wondering
>>>

>> The stable release is 17.0.6.
>>
>> [excerpt quote]
>>
>> Mozilla is focusing a lot of its efforts towards important web and
>> mobile<snip>
>
> How is the beta version of TB as it stands now? buggy or ok?

re: stability see the green line of
https://crash-stats.mozilla.com/daily?form_selection=by_version&p=Thunderbird&v[]=22.0b1&v[]=17.0.6&v[]=23.0a2&v[]=24.0a1&hang_type=any&os[]=Windows&os[]=Mac+OS+X&os[]=Linux&date_range_type=report&date_start=2013-05-27&date_end=2013-06-06&submit=Generate

historically, beta tracks very well against released versions

Re: why oh why

Axel Grude-3
Subject: Re: why oh why
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:18:23 -0400
From: usenetopian <[hidden email]>

> On 6/6/2013 10:14 AM, WaltS wrote:
>> On 06/06/2013 12:54 AM, usenetopian wrote:
>>> why is the stable release at 17.06 but the beta is 22.?
>>>
>>> is it just to tag along Firefox numbers?
>>>
>>> just wondering
>>>

>> The stable release is 17.0.6.
>>
>> [excerpt quote]
>>
>> Mozilla is focusing a lot of its efforts towards important web and
>> mobile<snip>
>
> How is the beta version of TB as it stands now? buggy or ok?

pretty much perfect, I have been using the beta in production for the last 6 weeks,
lots of addons installed and no significant problems. CUrrently I am trying to
encourage theme authors to up their maxvers.

Axel

Re: why oh why

Maximus
On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:48:35 +0100, Axel Grude <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>Subject: Re: why oh why
>Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:18:23 -0400
>From: usenetopian <[hidden email]>
>To:

>>> The stable release is 17.0.6.
>>>
>>> [excerpt quote]
>>>
>>> Mozilla is focusing a lot of its efforts towards important web and
>>> mobile<snip>
>>
>> How is the beta version of TB as it stands now? buggy or ok?
>>

>pretty much perfect, I have been using the beta in production for the last 6 weeks,
>lots of addons installed and no significant problems. CUrrently I am trying to
>encourage theme authors to up their maxvers.
>
>Axel

There are many addons which are not yet supported.  Enigmail and
lightning are a couple of big ones.  I had to go back to the released
version to get my addons back.

Maximus Decimus Meridius

Re: why oh why

Wayne Mery
On 6/28/2013 12:33 PM, Maximus wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:48:35 +0100, Axel Grude <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Subject: Re: why oh why
>> Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:18:23 -0400
>> From: usenetopian <[hidden email]>
>> To:

>>> How is the beta version of TB as it stands now? buggy or ok?
>>>

>> pretty much perfect, I have been using the beta in production for the last 6 weeks,
>> lots of addons installed and no significant problems. CUrrently I am trying to
>> encourage theme authors to up their maxvers.
>>
>> Axel
>
> There are many addons which are not yet supported.  Enigmail and
> lightning are a couple of big ones.  I had to go back to the released
> version to get my addons back.
>
> Maximus Decimus Meridius

you likely did not use correct version of addon.  I've used both fine.

Re: why oh why

Matt-41
On 29/06/2013 2:03 AM, Maximus wrote:

> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:48:35 +0100, Axel Grude <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> Subject: Re: why oh why
>> Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:18:23 -0400
>> From: usenetopian <[hidden email]>
>> To:

>>> How is the beta version of TB as it stands now? buggy or ok?
>>>

>> pretty much perfect, I have been using the beta in production for the last 6 weeks,
>> lots of addons installed and no significant problems. CUrrently I am trying to
>> encourage theme authors to up their maxvers.
>>
>> Axel
>
> There are many addons which are not yet supported.  Enigmail and
> lightning are a couple of big ones.  I had to go back to the released
> version to get my addons back.

I am using nightly builds and have lightning, so you must just be using
a wrong add-on version for the Beta build.

With my use of Nightly I have Many add-ons installed and functional.
The only one not working is CompactHeader, and that has something to do
with Thunderbird changes.

Matt

Re: why oh why

Maximus
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 15:18:34 +0930, Matt
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>On 29/06/2013 2:03 AM, Maximus wrote:
>> On Wed, 26 Jun 2013 13:48:35 +0100, Axel Grude <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Subject: Re: why oh why
>>> Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2013 13:18:23 -0400
>>> From: usenetopian <[hidden email]>
>>> To:

>>> pretty much perfect, I have been using the beta in production for the last 6 weeks,
>>> lots of addons installed and no significant problems. CUrrently I am trying to
>>> encourage theme authors to up their maxvers.
>>>
>>> Axel
>>
>> There are many addons which are not yet supported.  Enigmail and
>> lightning are a couple of big ones.  I had to go back to the released
>> version to get my addons back.
>>
>I am using nightly builds and have lightning, so you must just be using
>a wrong add-on version for the Beta build.
>
>With my use of Nightly I have Many add-ons installed and functional.
>The only one not working is CompactHeader, and that has something to do
>with Thunderbird changes.
>
>Matt

GREAT!  Where are the correct versions?  TB b. reports that no
compatible versions were found.

Re: why oh why

WaltS-3
On 06/30/2013 10:06 AM, Maximus wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 15:18:34 +0930, Matt
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 29/06/2013 2:03 AM, Maximus wrote:

>>> There are many addons which are not yet supported.  Enigmail and
>>> lightning are a couple of big ones.  I had to go back to the released
>>> version to get my addons back.
>>>
>> I am using nightly builds and have lightning, so you must just be using
>> a wrong add-on version for the Beta build.
>>
>> With my use of Nightly I have Many add-ons installed and functional.
>> The only one not working is CompactHeader, and that has something to do
>> with Thunderbird changes.
>>
>> Matt
>
> GREAT!  Where are the correct versions?  TB b. reports that no
> compatible versions were found.

Of Lighning?

Where they have been for quite awhile now.

Here <https://blog.mozilla.org/calendar/> or here under Development
Snapshots

<https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Calendar/Calendar_Versions>

--
openSUSE 12.3 (64-bit) KDE 4.10.2
Thunderbird Earlybird 24.0a2 with Lightning 2.6a2

Re: why oh why

Maximus
On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:20:17 -0400, WaltS <[hidden email]>
wrote:

>On 06/30/2013 10:06 AM, Maximus wrote:
>> On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 15:18:34 +0930, Matt
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:

>>> I am using nightly builds and have lightning, so you must just be using
>>> a wrong add-on version for the Beta build.
>>>
>>> With my use of Nightly I have Many add-ons installed and functional.
>>> The only one not working is CompactHeader, and that has something to do
>>> with Thunderbird changes.
>>>
>>> Matt
>>
>> GREAT!  Where are the correct versions?  TB b. reports that no
>> compatible versions were found.
>>

>Of Lighning?
>
>Where they have been for quite awhile now.
>
>Here <https://blog.mozilla.org/calendar/> or here under Development
>Snapshots
>
><https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Calendar/Calendar_Versions>

No, I am mainly concerned with Enigmail.  There is a v2.0 but I can't
get it to install in TB v17.  No matter, I will probably not try beta
again.

Thanks

Maximus Decimus Meridius

Re: why oh why

Patrick Brunschwig-3
On 30.06.13 20:28, Maximus wrote:

> On Sun, 30 Jun 2013 12:20:17 -0400, WaltS <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> On 06/30/2013 10:06 AM, Maximus wrote:

>>> GREAT!  Where are the correct versions?  TB b. reports that no
>>> compatible versions were found.
>>>

>> Of Lighning?
>>
>> Where they have been for quite awhile now.
>>
>> Here <https://blog.mozilla.org/calendar/> or here under Development
>> Snapshots
>>
>> <https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Calendar/Calendar_Versions>
>
> No, I am mainly concerned with Enigmail.  There is a v2.0 but I can't
> get it to install in TB v17.  No matter, I will probably not try beta
> again.

You can get nightly build of Enigmail from
http://www.enigmail.net/download/nightly.php

-Patrick