which xpi to use as template

Basanta Shrestha
Hi list,
I recently installed firefox 1.5.0.1 from debian unstable ( package name =  firefox  version =
1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-3 ).  This version has been built with pango enabled and it renders indic
charecters well. So I have decided to stick with this version and start  localization for this
specific version.

I wish to use translatetool (po2moz and moz2po) for this and kbabel for translation. But I don't
know which xpi to use as template. first I downloaded en-US.xpi for version 1.5.0.1 ( the exact
version of ff that I have) and tried to install it but it didn't install. And then I downloaded
ja.xpi, it got installed. I downloaded en-GB.xpi. en-GB.jar and ja.jar have same structure. So here
I am confused can I use en-GB.xpi as template for po2moz or do I have to use en-US.xpi as template
?

And also I had firefox 1.0.7 already translated, can I port the translation to 1.5.0.1 version as
the folder structure for 1.0.7 and 1.5.0.1 are different?

-basanta

Re: which xpi to use as template

Axel Hecht
[hidden email] wrote:

> Hi list,
> I recently installed firefox 1.5.0.1 from debian unstable ( package name =  firefox  version =
> 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-3 ).  This version has been built with pango enabled and it renders indic
> charecters well. So I have decided to stick with this version and start  localization for this
> specific version.
>
> I wish to use translatetool (po2moz and moz2po) for this and kbabel for translation. But I don't
> know which xpi to use as template. first I downloaded en-US.xpi for version 1.5.0.1 ( the exact
> version of ff that I have) and tried to install it but it didn't install. And then I downloaded
> ja.xpi, it got installed. I downloaded en-GB.xpi. en-GB.jar and ja.jar have same structure. So here
> I am confused can I use en-GB.xpi as template for po2moz or do I have to use en-US.xpi as template
> ?

I don't know why you would use a xpi to work with the po-tools, but
those tools are not on my lap, so I leave that up to dwayne or others.

Regarding the en-US.xpi, that one is not a language pack, and it is not
intended to be. Note that language packs are nice for testing, but in
order to get to an official localization, we need a source tree, which
includes more stuff than just the xpi, and has a different structure.

> And also I had firefox 1.0.7 already translated, can I port the translation to 1.5.0.1 version as
> the folder structure for 1.0.7 and 1.5.0.1 are different?

I'm pretty sure you can, not sure how, other than some shell magic and
open eyes. Maybe someone from the community has some experience to share
here.

Axel

Re: which xpi to use as template

Dwayne Bailey
On Fri, 2006-03-24 at 11:05 +0545, [hidden email] wrote:

> Hi list,
> I recently installed firefox 1.5.0.1 from debian unstable ( package name =  firefox  version =
> 1.5.dfsg+1.5.0.1-3 ).  This version has been built with pango enabled and it renders indic
> charecters well. So I have decided to stick with this version and start  localization for this
> specific version.
>
> I wish to use translatetool (po2moz and moz2po) for this and kbabel for translation. But I don't
> know which xpi to use as template. first I downloaded en-US.xpi for version 1.5.0.1 ( the exact
> version of ff that I have) and tried to install it but it didn't install. And then I downloaded
> ja.xpi, it got installed. I downloaded en-GB.xpi. en-GB.jar and ja.jar have same structure. So here
> I am confused can I use en-GB.xpi as template for po2moz or do I have to use en-US.xpi as template
> ?

moz2po -P en-US.xpi pot/

This will use the en-US.xpi as a template to create POT files for
localisation.

po2moz will do the reverse and you might want to check the --clone-xpi
options which allows you to use your own/previous .xpi as a template
(that way you can reuse customisations you have in your .xpi)

As Axel mentions in his followup post to your question, if you want to
include your localisations in an official build you need to do that in
the Mozilla CVS structure.

You can run moz2po against CVS.  You need to run the mozcvs2po script.
Info on how to do all this is on the Translate Toolkit wiki:
http://translate.sf.net/wiki

--
Dwayne Bailey
Translate.org.za