when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Daniel
On 10/11/2015 10:59 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]

I don't know for sure if this will sort out your problem but enter
about:config in your URL bar, search for "search" (without the inverted
commas) and then double click on
browser.urlbar.showSearch. This should change it from the "default"
setting of "true" to a "user set" setting of "false"

This might give the functioning you require!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.39 Build identifier: 20151028234211
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501

On 10/11/2015 11:07 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 4:23:06 PM UTC-7, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> What exactly are you trying to do and how exactly are doing it to
>>> achieve it?.
>>>
>>> What do you get if you go to:
>>>
>>> <https://www.google.com>
>>>
>>> How can a search box move to the top when you go to the above link? It
>>> is fixed on the page and I can't see how it moves.  Can you explain.
>>>
>>> Thank you.
>>>

>> Start typing in the Search Box on that page and it does jump to the top
>> of the page with suggestions under it.
>>
>> Nothing to fix.
>>
>> --
>> Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 44.0a1 (Daily)
>> You don't need zero-days when machines wherever are packed with old-days.
>> Go Bucs! (next season) Go Pens! Go Sabres! Go Pitt!
>> [Visit Pittsburgh]<http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/>
>> [Coexist · Understanding Across Divides]<https://www.coexist.org/>
>
> Things should not jump around, you may not care but many do, It is distracting. So please help post a reasonable solution that you do not have to be a programmer to understand.
> Thanks for your help

Normally I use DuckDuckGo for my searching after I enter the search item
in the URLbar, because that's how I like it!

When I click on the Google link, above, I get the Google page with the
search bar about one third of the screen down, and when I start to type
"StarWars" in the Google search bar, as I go, I'm offered various
possibilities in a drop-down list below the Search Bar.

Just as I would expect, using my Win7 SeaMonkey install.

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.39 Build identifier: 20151028234211
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

WaltS48
On 11/09/2015 06:59 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]

So why didn't you respond in July?

There is no problem, and this isn't the support forum for Firefox.

You can find that here <https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/products/firefox>

Now fox off.

--
Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 45.0a1 (Daily)
You don't need zero-days when machines wherever are packed with old-days.
Go Bucs! (next season) Go Pens! Go Sabres! Go Pitt!
[Visit Pittsburgh]<http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/>
[Coexist · Understanding Across Divides]<https://www.coexist.org/>

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
[hidden email] wrote:

> On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 4:23:06 PM UTC-7, WaltS48 wrote:
> > On 10/28/2015 06:52 PM, Good Guy wrote:

> > > What do you get if you go to:
> > >
> > > <https://www.google.com>

> > Start typing in the Search Box on that page and it does jump to the
> > top of the page with suggestions under it.
> >
> > Nothing to fix.

> Things should not jump around, you may not care but many do, It is
> distracting. So please help post a reasonable solution that you do
> not have to be a programmer to understand. Thanks for your help

The only "solution" is to stop using that web page for searching.
Alternatives are to use Firefox's search box or the search box in
Firefox's default home page or default new tab page, none of which
move.

[hidden email] wrote:

> On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 6:44:42 AM UTC-7, WaltS48 wrote:

Yeah, it does matter.

> people still want an answer,In NOV 2015!!

Who does?  AFAICT, someone asked a *different* question than the OP
this month in this thread, but no one has asked for an answer to the OP
since the OP itself.  Firefox's search box and the search box on the
Google web page are two different things.

> Please address the question and keep your jabs to yourself.

If there really is a question that needs answering, starting a new
thread explaining whichever issue you're having in
mozilla.support.firefox or at support.mozilla.org would be the way to
go.  Adding to years old threads in this group will get you
well-deserved jabs and maybe (or maybe not) help.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Daniel
On 17/02/2012 11:33 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:

<Snip>

>> Because when the search words are entered into the address bar, they
>> don't always over-write the web address that's their already. So if
>> I'm searching for restaurants, the address bar will read:
>> http://www.google.comrestaurants.
>
> Typing begins where the cursor is placed, simple as that.

Hey, I just noticed this was posted (yes, I know, ... I'm a bit slow!!)
by Jay Garcia, who was one of the regulars here-abouts and on the
secnews.netscape.com server of many years ago!!

Long time since I've seen him post, so welcome back, Jay! At home in New
Orleans?? With the Dogs??

--
Daniel

Happy Holiday Season to one and all.

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.39 Build identifier: 20151028234211
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501

Jay's Back!! (was: Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?)

Daniel
On 28/12/2015 7:17 PM, Daniel wrote:

> On 17/02/2012 11:33 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>
> <Snip>
>
>>> Because when the search words are entered into the address bar, they
>>> don't always over-write the web address that's their already. So if
>>> I'm searching for restaurants, the address bar will read:
>>> http://www.google.comrestaurants.
>>
>> Typing begins where the cursor is placed, simple as that.
>
> Hey, I just noticed this was posted (yes, I know, ... I'm a bit slow!!)
> by Jay Garcia, who was one of the regulars here-abouts and on the
> secnews.netscape.com server of many years ago!!
>
> Long time since I've seen him post, so welcome back, Jay! At home in New
> Orleans?? With the Dogs??

I forgot to change the Subject: of my post!!

--
Daniel

Happy Holiday Season to one and all.

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.39 Build identifier: 20151028234211
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501

Re: Jay's Back!!

WaltS48-3
On 12/28/2015 03:40 AM, Daniel wrote:

> On 28/12/2015 7:17 PM, Daniel wrote:
>> On 17/02/2012 11:33 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>

>>> Typing begins where the cursor is placed, simple as that.
>>
>> Hey, I just noticed this was posted (yes, I know, ... I'm a bit slow!!)
>> by Jay Garcia, who was one of the regulars here-abouts and on the
>> secnews.netscape.com server of many years ago!!
>>
>> Long time since I've seen him post, so welcome back, Jay! At home in New
>> Orleans?? With the Dogs??
>>
> I forgot to change the Subject: of my post!!

You just noticed his 3+ year old post? :)

--
Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 45.0a2 (Earlybird)

On 28/12/2015 11:19 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 12/28/2015 03:40 AM, Daniel wrote:
>> On 28/12/2015 7:17 PM, Daniel wrote:
>>> On 17/02/2012 11:33 AM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> Hey, I just noticed this was posted (yes, I know, ... I'm a bit slow!!)
>>> by Jay Garcia, who was one of the regulars here-abouts and on the
>>> secnews.netscape.com server of many years ago!!
>>>
>>> Long time since I've seen him post, so welcome back, Jay! At home in New
>>> Orleans?? With the Dogs??
>>>
>> I forgot to change the Subject: of my post!!
>>

> You just noticed his 3+ year old post? :)

GRRRR!! That'll learn me!!

--
Daniel

Happy Holiday Season to one and all.

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:42.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.39 Build identifier: 20151028234211
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501
JAS

Re: Jay's Back!!

JAS
Daniel wrote:

> On 28/12/2015 11:19 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

>>> I forgot to change the Subject: of my post!!
>>>

>> You just noticed his 3+ year old post? :)
>>
> GRRRR!! That'll learn me!!

I wish Jay was back as I always enjoyed his input. Maybe showing his
dogs more.
JAS

--
    You either teach people to treat you with dignity and respect, or
you don't. This means you are partly responsible for the mistreatment

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

dlclore56
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

dlclore56
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

I am having this exact problem and it drives me crazy.  Cursor is at the entry position for Google search in middle of page but jumps to address bar as soon as I enter first letter from keyboard.  I have used Google for many years and never seen this before windows 10.  is this coincidence or is it related to windows 10?

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

dlclore56
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 13/04/2016 22:03, [hidden email] wrote:
> I am having this exact problem and it drives me crazy.  Cursor is at the entry position for Google search in middle of page but jumps to address bar as soon as I enter first letter from keyboard.  I have used Google for many years and never seen this before windows 10.  is this coincidence or is it related to windows 10?

Double click in the search box and then start typing.  this should work.

I don't have this problem at my end.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

F1Com-2
On 4/13/2016 2:01 PM On a whim, [hidden email] pounded out on the
keyboard

> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
>> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
>> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
>> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
>> the google search box?
>>
>> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
>> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
>> instead of the address bar.
>>
>> Thank you!

What browser are you using when this occurs?  Have you tried a different
browser with Google set as the home page?

I have not seen this occur on any Windows 10 machines.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

maria
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

I GOT IT!!  If you are using Chrome, right click the URL Bar, and go to "Edit Search Engines". YOu should be directed immediately to a pop-out (x out of that) and the page where you can edit ALL of your settings.
Click "Advanced" down at the bottom.
Under "Privacy" UNCHECK the box that begins "Use a Prediction Service..."

I think this is a default - GAH how annoying!  Thanks for all of the input here, though. It all led me to the right answer!

--
*The New York State Association of Independent Schools promotes the
independence, well-being and public understanding of, and respect for, New

*The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential to the
intended recipient and may not be disclosed to, used by, or copied in any
way by anyone other than the intended recipient.  It should not be relied
upon as, or in place of, legal advice.  The sender and recipient do not
have an attorney/client relationship.  All schools and others are
encouraged to work with the school's legal counsel when addressing specific
issues.  *

*If this email was received in error, please contact the New York State
Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS) at 1-518-694-5500 quoting the
name of the sender and the email address to which it was sent and then
delete it. Please further note that neither NYSAIS or NYSAIS Operations,
Inc. nor the sender accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your
responsibility to scan or otherwise check this email and any attachments.*

*P *Please consider the environment before printing my e-mail

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

maria
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

I got it!
Settings->Advanced->Privacy-> UNCHECK "Use prediction service...etc"

On Wednesday, April 13, 2016 at 7:58:03 PM UTC-4, [hidden email] wrote:

> On 4/13/2016 2:01 PM On a whim, [hidden email] pounded out on the
> keyboard
>
> > On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:
> >> Hello,
> >>
> >> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> >> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> >> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> >> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> >> the google search box?
> >>
> >> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> >> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> >> instead of the address bar.
> >>
> >> Thank you!
> >

> What browser are you using when this occurs?  Have you tried a different
> browser with Google set as the home page?
>
> I have not seen this occur on any Windows 10 machines.

I got it!
Settings->Advanced->Privacy-> UNCHECK "Use prediction service...etc"

--
*The New York State Association of Independent Schools promotes the
independence, well-being and public understanding of, and respect for, New
York independent schools  and serves as an accrediting body chartered by
the New York State Board of Regents.*
--Mission Statement

*The contents of this email and any attachments are confidential to the
intended recipient and may not be disclosed to, used by, or copied in any
way by anyone other than the intended recipient.  It should not be relied
upon as, or in place of, legal advice.  The sender and recipient do not
have an attorney/client relationship.  All schools and others are
encouraged to work with the school's legal counsel when addressing specific
issues.  *

*If this email was received in error, please contact the New York State
Association of Independent Schools (NYSAIS) at 1-518-694-5500 quoting the
name of the sender and the email address to which it was sent and then
delete it. Please further note that neither NYSAIS or NYSAIS Operations,
Inc. nor the sender accept any responsibility for viruses and it is your
responsibility to scan or otherwise check this email and any attachments.*

*P *Please consider the environment before printing my e-mail

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Wolf K.
> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
>> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
>> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
>> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
>> the google search box?
>>
>> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
>> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
>> instead of the address bar.
>>
>> Thank you!

a) because you have left Google as your home page.
b) because you have left the default search engine to Google; and

Tools - Options - General - "When Firefox starts..."
Tools - Options - Search - "Default Search Engine" (you can add any that
aren't listed)

I have a blank home page, and use DuckDuckGo.

Have a good day,

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

renayransaw
On Tuesday, October 22, 2013 at 7:28:27 PM UTC-5, [hidden email] wrote:

> I am having this problem right now. And it doesnt seem like anyone actually came up with a solution on this thread??
>
> I use google Chrome Browser and my favorite search engine is google. But I do not like that when I go to the search home page, and even though I click on the searchbox, which already has a blinking cursor in it, as soon as I start to type it only shows in the address bar.
>
> Its the correct page, I know what I am doing. It was fine up to a couple weeks ago for me. Now it goes to address bar. And since it does that I dont get the same google sugestions as I type that used to drop down from the search bar.
>
> Anyone find this thread please let me know what you think?
> Thanks
>

> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:59:10 PM UTC-8, Newatthis wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> >
> > google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> >
> > switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> >
> > next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> >
> > the google search box?
> >

> > I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> >
> > and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> >
> > instead of the address bar.
> >

> > Thank you!

Did you ever find a solution? because i am dealing with your old problem right now...