when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

123456 ... 8

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Mike Easter-2
WaltS48 wrote:
>> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 7:33:14 PM UTC-5, Jay Garcia wrote:
>>> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

Back in 2012 Feb, there was a conversation with a bad subject (putting
the long question in the subject instead of a brief/terse title subject).

That discussion ended about 5.5 years ago.  Then a GGer came along and
discovered the stale/dead thread.  Instead of appropriately starting a
new timely thread in the appropriate group, s/he rekindled the ancient
thread.

Hey, GGer.  Use your Tb mail/news agent as a news agent and point it at
the moz server.

http://ilias.ca/moznewsgroups-tb  Subscribing to newsgroups on
news.mozilla.org with Mozilla Thunderbird

--
Mike Easter

OT: (was: Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?)

Daniel
On 23/07/2015 10:15 AM, Mike Easter wrote:

> Back in 2012 Feb, there was a conversation with a bad subject (putting
> the long question in the subject instead of a brief/terse title subject).
>
> That discussion ended about 5.5 years ago.  Then a GGer came along and
> discovered the stale/dead thread.  Instead of appropriately starting a
> new timely thread in the appropriate group, s/he rekindled the ancient
> thread.

Hey, Mike, it is 23/07/2015 which could probably be written as 2015.6.
So 5.5 years before today would be approx 2010.1, or Jan 2010, which is
before 2012 Feb.

Did you mean 3.5 years ago or did you mean 2010 Feb?? ;-)

And yes, GG'ers are a pain ... so easy to set SM (or TB, I expect) to do
news groups!!)

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.32 Build identifier: 20141218225909
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.33 Build identifier: 20150215202114

Re: OT:

Mike Easter-2
Daniel wrote:
> Mike Easter wrote:
>
>> Back in 2012 Feb, there was a conversation

>> That discussion ended about 5.5 years ago.

> Did you mean 3.5 years ago

Yes. I misspoke.

--
Mike Easter

Re: OT:

Daniel
On 23/07/2015 8:55 PM, Mike Easter wrote:

> Daniel wrote:
>> Mike Easter wrote:
>>
>>> Back in 2012 Feb, there was a conversation
>
>>> That discussion ended about 5.5 years ago.
>
>> Did you mean 3.5 years ago
>
> Yes. I misspoke.

Happens to the best of us, Mike ;-P

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:35.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.32 Build identifier: 20141218225909
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.33 Build identifier: 20150215202114

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

youdidntgetpermission
On Wednesday, October 23, 2013 at 11:28:27 AM UTC+11, [hidden email] wrote:

> I am having this problem right now. And it doesnt seem like anyone actually came up with a solution on this thread??
>
> I use google Chrome Browser and my favorite search engine is google. But I do not like that when I go to the search home page, and even though I click on the searchbox, which already has a blinking cursor in it, as soon as I start to type it only shows in the address bar.
>
> Its the correct page, I know what I am doing. It was fine up to a couple weeks ago for me. Now it goes to address bar. And since it does that I dont get the same google sugestions as I type that used to drop down from the search bar.
>
> Anyone find this thread please let me know what you think?
> Thanks
>

> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:59:10 PM UTC-8, Newatthis wrote:
> > Hello,
> >

> > I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> >
> > google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> >
> > switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> >
> > next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> >
> > the google search box?
> >

> > I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> >
> > and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> >
> > instead of the address bar.
> >

> > Thank you!

This is happening to me for the first time now in Chrome AND FF Win7

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

darrelldevries77
hi i am not too computer savvy but what does and how to you sign into google,
I do not understand. to change instant results.

On 8/09/2015 5:50 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> hi i am not too computer savvy but what does and how to you sign into google,
> I do not understand. to change instant results.

Darrell, I'm having troubles working out your problem!!

I think you are saying you are having trouble signing into Google (Why
would anyone want to??) but you are asking this in a (very old) thread
about doing a search on Google in SeaMonkey!

Could you please start a new thread (If you were using SeaMonkey I'd
suggest you click "Compose" rather than "Reply", but as you're using
Google groups (which you suggest you cannot sign into!!) so I'm not sure
what you should do!) and have another go at stating your problem??

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.33 Build identifier: 20150223174142
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.33 Build identifier: 20150215202114

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Ed Mullen-10
Daniel wrote on 9/8/2015 5:55 AM:
>> hi i am not too computer savvy but what does and how to you sign into
>> google,
>> I do not understand. to change instant results.
>>
> Darrell, I'm having troubles working out your problem!!
>
> I think you are saying you are having trouble signing into Google (Why
> would anyone want to??)

Because Google offers great functionality on, for instance, calendar
synchronisation.

I use Calendarscope and Handysync for Google. All my devices have the
same calendar entries all the time via this sync.  Two smart phones, two
Android tablets, an iPad, and 4 computers.

I, for one, do not view Google as evil.

But, for reference:

<https://www.google.com/search?q=lyric%20paranoia%20strikes%20deep&gws_rd=ssl>

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

On 9/09/2015 11:19 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> Daniel wrote on 9/8/2015 5:55 AM:
>>> hi i am not too computer savvy but what does and how to you sign into
>>> google,
>>> I do not understand. to change instant results.
>>>
>> Darrell, I'm having troubles working out your problem!!
>>
>> I think you are saying you are having trouble signing into Google (Why
>> would anyone want to??)
>
> Because Google offers great functionality on, for instance, calendar
> synchronisation.
>
> I use Calendarscope and Handysync for Google. All my devices have the
> same calendar entries all the time via this sync.  Two smart phones, two
> Android tablets, an iPad, and 4 computers.
>
> I, for one, do not view Google as evil.
>
> But, for reference:
>
> <https://www.google.com/search?q=lyric%20paranoia%20strikes%20deep&gws_rd=ssl>

However, Ed, I notice you come here to the news groups directly, *NOT*
via Google!!

And, even though I don't use Google for searching the web, I don't
necessarily see Google as evil, either!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.33 Build identifier: 20150223174142
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:36.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.33 Build identifier: 20150215202114

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

bllbrrll1947
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 11:59:10 PM UTC, Newatthis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

Thanks for that.  It's been driving me crazy too.  Finally got it sorted.

On Sunday, August 10, 2014 at 3:14:13 AM UTC+1, mobicube%[hidden email] wrote:

> Ok, after some serious time spent on this I can finaly type into the search box that resides in the middle of the page without it jumping up to the address bar or opening another google page.
>
> Not sure what step did it, but this fixed my issue.
>
> 1: Logged into to Google, Clicked the Gear (Options Icon) in the top right.
> Clicked on 'Search Settings' and under Google Instant predictions I selected          Never show Instant results.
>
> 2: In my Chrome browser Clicked the Icon in top right and went to Settings, clicked on Show Advanced Settings, under Privacy I unchecked Use a prediction service... and unchecked Predict network actions.
>
> My search engine is still Google.
>
> I use the New Tab Redirect extension and have my URL set to https://www.google.com/webhp
>
> Hope this can help someone

Thanks for that.  It's been driving me crazy too.  You finally got it sorted.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

jms97411netflix
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 3:59:10 PM UTC-8, Newatthis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

I have the same problem. The search box moves to the top of the page. When I enter a search, I get nothing. So Google is rendered non-functional, so I have to use something else going forward. I am fed up with Google they just have to keep trying to make it better but every time they do something backfires.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Good Guy
On 28/10/15 22:40, [hidden email] wrote:

> I have the same problem. The search box moves to the top of the page. When I enter a search, I get nothing. So Google is rendered non-functional, so I have to use something else going forward. I am fed up with Google they just have to keep trying to make it better but every time they do something backfires.

What exactly are you trying to do and how exactly are doing it to
achieve it?.

What do you get if you go to:

<https://www.google.com>

How can a search box move to the top when you go to the above link? It
is fixed on the page and I can't see how it moves.  Can you explain.

Thank you.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

WaltS48
On 10/28/2015 06:52 PM, Good Guy wrote:

> On 28/10/15 22:40, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I have the same problem. The search box moves to the top of the page. When I enter a search, I get nothing. So Google is rendered non-functional, so I have to use something else going forward. I am fed up with Google they just have to keep trying to make it better but every time they do something backfires.
>
> What exactly are you trying to do and how exactly are doing it to
> achieve it?.
>
> What do you get if you go to:
>
> <https://www.google.com>
>
> How can a search box move to the top when you go to the above link? It
> is fixed on the page and I can't see how it moves.  Can you explain.
>
> Thank you.

What version of Firefox do they use that they are having the same
problem as a user in 2012?

Well maybe not the same problem, because this poster says the search box
moves to the top of the page, not the typing appears in the address bar.

--
Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 44.0a1 (Daily)
You don't need zero-days when machines wherever are packed with old-days.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

WaltS48
On 10/28/2015 06:52 PM, Good Guy wrote:

> On 28/10/15 22:40, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I have the same problem. The search box moves to the top of the page. When I enter a search, I get nothing. So Google is rendered non-functional, so I have to use something else going forward. I am fed up with Google they just have to keep trying to make it better but every time they do something backfires.
>
> What exactly are you trying to do and how exactly are doing it to
> achieve it?.
>
> What do you get if you go to:
>
> <https://www.google.com>
>
> How can a search box move to the top when you go to the above link? It
> is fixed on the page and I can't see how it moves.  Can you explain.
>
> Thank you.

Start typing in the Search Box on that page and it does jump to the top
of the page with suggestions under it.

Nothing to fix.

--
Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 44.0a1 (Daily)
You don't need zero-days when machines wherever are packed with old-days.
Go Bucs! (next season) Go Pens! Go Sabres! Go Pitt!
[Visit Pittsburgh]<http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/>
[Coexist · Understanding Across Divides]<https://www.coexist.org/>

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Good Guy <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 28/10/15 22:40, [hidden email] wrote:
> >
> > I have the same problem. The search box moves to the top of the
> > page. When I enter a search, I get nothing. So Google is rendered
> > non-functional, so I have to use something else going forward. I am
> > fed up with Google they just have to keep trying to make it better
> > but every time they do something backfires.
>
> What exactly are you trying to do and how exactly are doing it to
> achieve it?.
>
> What do you get if you go to:
>
> <https://www.google.com>
>
> How can a search box move to the top when you go to the above link?
> It is fixed on the page and I can't see how it moves.  Can you
> explain.

The page is dynamic, so the box can move.  Here's a shot before
anything is typed: <http://remarqs.org/misc/google-before.png>.  And
one immediately after typing the letter "m":
<http://remarqs.org/misc/google-after.png>.

I don't use Google and I don't know why that bothers anyone;  it's
certainly not rendering anything non-functional. ISTM if it bothered
many people, Google wouldn't be doing it.  It's not nearly as
bothersome as this three+ year old thread being resurrected every time
a Google Grouper runs across it.

Good Guy wrote on 10/28/2015 6:52 PM:

> On 28/10/15 22:40, [hidden email] wrote:
>>
>> I have the same problem. The search box moves to the top of the page. When I enter a search, I get nothing. So Google is rendered non-functional, so I have to use something else going forward. I am fed up with Google they just have to keep trying to make it better but every time they do something backfires.
>
> What exactly are you trying to do and how exactly are doing it to
> achieve it?.
>
> What do you get if you go to:
>
> <https://www.google.com>
>
> How can a search box move to the top when you go to the above link? It
> is fixed on the page and I can't see how it moves.  Can you explain.
>
> Thank you.

I've mentioned it before but I'll do it again.  Your posting in HTML is
contrary to 99.9% of posts on this group.

For many of us it is unreadable because you obviously do not understand
anything about HTML composition.

It annoys me.  It is, because of my normal settings, rendering your
posts unreadable.

So.  What I do is totally ignore you. Immediately skip over your posts.

that's too bad because you might actually have something to contribute.
  But I'll never know because you flount, deliberately, custom here.

Do you deliberately want to be ignored?  Are you trying to be obnoxious?

Hey, just asking!

--
Ed Mullen
http://edmullen.net/

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty
Ed Mullen wrote:

> Obnoxious Guy wrote:
>> How can a search box move to the top when you go to the above link? It
>> is fixed on the page and I can't see how it moves.  Can you explain.

JavaScript.

> Do you deliberately want to be ignored?  Are you trying to be obnoxious?

He (a young fella in his 30s) has publicly stated that he loves to annoy
old people, as most of us are here and in Usenet. I completely ignore all
of his posts. That's generally a good idea, too, as most of what I see
when someone quotes him, isn't worthy anyway.

--
   -bts

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

jeverett50
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 6:44:42 AM UTC-7, WaltS48 wrote:
> > On Friday, 17 February 2012 00:33:14 UTC, Jay Garcia  wrote:
> >> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

it does not matter when the OP was,  people still want an answer,In NOV 2015!!
Please address the question and keep your jabs to yourself.
Thanks

On Wednesday, October 28, 2015 at 4:23:06 PM UTC-7, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 10/28/2015 06:52 PM, Good Guy wrote:
> > On 28/10/15 22:40, [hidden email] wrote:
> >>
> >> I have the same problem. The search box moves to the top of the page. When I enter a search, I get nothing. So Google is rendered non-functional, so I have to use something else going forward. I am fed up with Google they just have to keep trying to make it better but every time they do something backfires.
> >
> > What exactly are you trying to do and how exactly are doing it to
> > achieve it?.
> >
> > What do you get if you go to:
> >
> > <https://www.google.com>
> >
> > How can a search box move to the top when you go to the above link? It
> > is fixed on the page and I can't see how it moves.  Can you explain.
> >
> > Thank you.
> >

> Start typing in the Search Box on that page and it does jump to the top
> of the page with suggestions under it.
>
> Nothing to fix.
>
> --
> Linux Mint 17.2 "Rafaela" | KDE 4.14.2 | Thunderbird 44.0a1 (Daily)
> You don't need zero-days when machines wherever are packed with old-days.
> Go Bucs! (next season) Go Pens! Go Sabres! Go Pitt!
> [Visit Pittsburgh]<http://www.visitpittsburgh.com/>
> [Coexist · Understanding Across Divides]<https://www.coexist.org/>

Things should not jump around, you may not care but many do, It is distracting. So please help post a reasonable solution that you do not have to be a programmer to understand.
Thanks for your help
123456 ... 8