when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

12345 ... 8

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

reamdarren
I've been having the same problem and it is really annoying. I'll get one or two letters into typing a google search and then it will pop up and start typing in the address bar. Too bad there doesn't appear to be a fix yet

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

WaltS48
On 06/30/2014 05:09 PM, [hidden email] wrote:
> I've been having the same problem and it is really annoying. I'll get one or two letters into typing a google search and then it will pop up and start typing in the address bar. Too bad there doesn't appear to be a fix yet

Same problem with what version of Firefox on what operating system?

What version was the original poster that you are replying to using?
Operating system?

I'm not going to look for the whole thread because you are too lazy to
quote previous posts.

Does the same problem occur in Firefox safe mode?

[Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox
Help](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode)

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

shaneshipman
I am still having the same problem and it started the same time as a search conduit unwanted browser helper found it's way on to my system.  I got rid of most of the remnants of the infection through some tools online, but I have yet to solve the same problem in Chrome.  When I go to www.google.com, and then select the text input box, the very first letter I type, the focus shifts to the address bar and the text begins to appear there.

On Thursday, February 16, 2012 5:59:10 PM UTC-6, Newatthis wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
>
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
>
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
>
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
>
> the google search box?
>

> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
>
> and start typing a searcnd , I would like it to appear in the search box
>
> instead of the address bar.
>

> Thank you!
Look in your default search engine settings.  Right click the address bar and choose edit search engines.  Pay close attention  to the url of your default search engine.  It is directing you to a page that is forcing this tool to take over the search so everything goes through them.  Delete it.  It seemed to be tricky for me to delete it, but I was persistent and it did the trick.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Erness Wild
WaltS48 wrote:

>> I've been having the same problem and it is really annoying. I'll get
>> one or two letters into typing a google search and then it will pop up
>> and start typing in the address bar. Too bad there doesn't appear to
>> be a fix yet
>>

> Same problem with what version of Firefox on what operating system?
>
> What version was the original poster that you are replying to using?
> Operating system?
>
> I'm not going to look for the whole thread because you are too lazy to
> quote previous posts.
>
> Does the same problem occur in Firefox safe mode?
>
> [Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox
> Help](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode)

I thought the fix would be Bing. ;-)

--
Takes more than talk to get things done.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

mobicube%cableone.net
Ok, after some serious time spent on this I can finaly type into the search box that resides in the middle of the page without it jumping up to the address bar or opening another google page.

Not sure what step did it, but this fixed my issue.

1: Logged into to Google, Clicked the Gear (Options Icon) in the top right.
Clicked on 'Search Settings' and under Google Instant predictions I selected          Never show Instant results.

2: In my Chrome browser Clicked the Icon in top right and went to Settings, clicked on Show Advanced Settings, under Privacy I unchecked Use a prediction service... and unchecked Predict network actions.

My search engine is still Google.

I use the New Tab Redirect extension and have my URL set to https://www.google.com/webhp

Hope this can help someone

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

avnirani
Thank you so much!!!
This behavior was driving me batty and I couldn't figure out why it was only happening in Chrome.
I changed the Chrome settings you described and it stopped <whew>

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

eddiequest

On Monday, April 21, 2014 at 5:04:50 AM UTC-7, [hidden email] wrote:
> Wow, Mozilla fans are as big a bunch of assholes as apple fans. I'l never understand why people who don't have an answer like to post inane comments in response to a users questions.
>
> My motivation here is to shame the shameless.

My thoughts, exactly.

On 03/16/2015 07:49 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

>> Typing begins where the cursor is placed, simple as that.
> **********************
> Incorrect. Typing always jumps to address bar. Why do they even bother having a search box.

For the same reason that gmail trolls like you search out old threads to
respond to. They can.

--
Kubuntu 14.10 | KDE 4.14.1 | Thunderbird 38.0a2(Earlybird)
[Coexist - Understanding Across Divides](https://www.coexist.org/)

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

morten0karl
Turn off instant suggestions in the settings, this should keep google anchored

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

margaretbruce14
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 6:59:10 PM UTC-5, Newatthis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

If Google is your homepage on Google Chrome browser, you'll notice in the search bar on Google, it says, "Search Google or type url"
You can type in what you want to search on Google into the search bar, and it goes directly to the url address bar, but it works the same as a Google search. After you type what you're looking for, and press enter, you'll see that it is a regular Google search, it's just supposed to be some kind of shortcut or something.  Hope this helps your problem and puts an end to all the pointless and mindless arguing on this thread.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

geoffers10
On Thursday, 16 February 2012 23:59:10 UTC, Newatthis  wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.

I had a similar, but worse, problem.  I found that typing in the address bar started not only when I was trying to type into search engines in any browser, but also when I tried naming or renaming files, or doing any typing, in fact.

The problem appeared quite suddenly, but disappeared when I used the on-screen keyboard and when I changed from my wireless keyboard to a wired keyboard.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

geoffers10
On Thursday, 16 February 2012 23:59:10 UTC, Newatthis  wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

I had a similar, but worse, problem.  I found that typing in the address bar started not only when I was trying to type into search engines in any browser, but also when I tried naming or renaming files, or doing any typing, in fact.

The problem appeared quite suddenly and was intermittent, but disappeared when I changed my keyboard.

One way to check if it`s your keyboard is to try using the On Screen Keyboard:-
 Start/Control Panel/Ease of Access Center/Start On-Screen Keyboard

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

reneart99
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 3:59:10 PM UTC-8, Newatthis wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.
>
> Thank you!

me too

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

tazmanianuk
On Friday, 17 February 2012 00:33:14 UTC, Jay Garcia  wrote:

> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

The Op already stated

"whatever I'm typing appears
next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
the google search box"

so he was typing in the search bar. Thats the sort of smarmy answer that discourages some peeps from even asking a question. next time maybe read the ops query first!

On 07/06/2015 09:22 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Friday, 17 February 2012 00:33:14 UTC, Jay Garcia  wrote:
>> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

So you are responding to a topic posted in 2012. Maybe next time read
the date.

--
Kubuntu 14.10 | KDE 4.14.1 | Thunderbird 42.0a1(Daily) Go Bucs!
[Coexist · Understanding Across Divides](https://www.coexist.org/)

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Wolf K.
On 2015-07-06 9:22 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
[...]
> The Op already stated
>
> "whatever I'm typing appears
> next to"http://www.google.com"  even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box"
>
> so he was typing in the search bar. Thats the sort of smarmy answer that discourages some peeps from even asking a question. next time maybe read the ops query first!

I'm assuming that Taz Wants To Know.

Moving a cursor to a new location is not enough. Move the cursor, then
left-click.

Unasked for advice: Be nice, Taz, or you will be deep-sixed.

--
Best,
Wolf K.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

ajhughes98
On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 7:33:14 PM UTC-5, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

Not as simple as that. I have the same issue. I put the cursor in the search bar. When I type, it moves it to the address bar. Same problem as the previous posting.

On 07/22/2015 10:44 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 at 7:33:14 PM UTC-5, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

Didn't see this problem in Firefox 3.6.27, when that was the version out
when the original post was made, and don't see it in Firefox 39.0.

Restart Firefox in Safe Mode and try again.

[Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode | Firefox
Help](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/troubleshoot-firefox-issues-using-safe-mode)

If that doesn't fix it, Refresh Firefox.

[Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings | Firefox
Help](https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/refresh-firefox-reset-add-ons-and-settings)

If that doesn't fix it, start a new support post in the Firefox support
newsgroup mozilla.support.firefox