when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

1234 ... 6

when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Newatthis-2
Hello,

I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
the google search box?

I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
instead of the address bar.

Thank you!

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Cy Burnot
Newatthis has written on 2/16/2012 6:59 PM:

> Hello,
>
> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> the google search box?
>
> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> instead of the address bar.

Why?

On Feb 16, 7:23 pm, Cy Burnot <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Newatthis has written on 2/16/2012 6:59 PM:
>
> > Hello,
>
> > I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> > google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> > switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> > next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> > the google search box?
>
> > I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> > and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> > instead of the address bar.
>
> Why?

Because when the search words are entered into the address bar, they
don't always over-write the web address that's their already. So if
I'm searching for restaurants, the address bar will read:
http://www.google.comrestaurants.

On Feb 16, 7:26 pm, Newatthis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Feb 16, 7:23 pm, Cy Burnot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Newatthis has written on 2/16/2012 6:59 PM:
>
> > > Hello,
>
> > > I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
> > > google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
> > > switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
> > > next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
> > > the google search box?
>
> > > I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
> > > and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
> > > instead of the address bar.
>
> > Why?
>
> Because when the search words are entered into the address bar, they
> don't always over-write the web address that's their already. So if
> I'm searching for restaurants, the address bar will read:http://www.google.comrestaurants.

This seems to happen predominantly with Firefox.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Jay Garcia
On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

> On Feb 16, 7:23 pm, Cy Burnot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Newatthis has written on 2/16/2012 6:59 PM:
>>
>> > Hello,
>>
>> > I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
>> > google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
>> > switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
>> > next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
>> > the google search box?
>>
>> > I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
>> > and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
>> > instead of the address bar.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because when the search words are entered into the address bar, they
> don't always over-write the web address that's their already. So if
> I'm searching for restaurants, the address bar will read:
> http://www.google.comrestaurants.

Typing begins where the cursor is placed, simple as that.

--
Jay Garcia - www.ufaq.org - Netscape - Firefox - SeaMonkey - Thunderbird
Mozilla Contribute Coordinator Team - www.mozilla.org/contribute/

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

WaltS-3
On 02/16/2012 07:26 PM, Newatthis wrote:

> On Feb 16, 7:23 pm, Cy Burnot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Newatthis has written on 2/16/2012 6:59 PM:
>>
>>> Hello,
>>
>>> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
>>> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
>>> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
>>> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
>>> the google search box?
>>
>>> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
>>> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
>>> instead of the address bar.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because when the search words are entered into the address bar, they
> don't always over-write the web address that's their already. So if
> I'm searching for restaurants, the address bar will read:
> http://www.google.comrestaurants.

Why are you entering search words in the address bar, if you are at
www.google.com, and not the search field?

Simple solution. In the address bar type about:home, after the page
loads enter the search term in the Google field, press Search.

--
Thunderbird Beta | openSUSE 11.4 Linux
Get openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/121/en

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

clay-14
On 02/16/2012 4:33 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:

> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

And the OP stated the cursor is in the google search box... not the
location bar, yet the text appends to the location bar.

Has to be one of those obscure features, like 'find as you type' got
turned on by mistake.

On 02/16/2012 07:54 PM, clay wrote:

> On 02/16/2012 4:33 PM, Jay Garcia wrote:
>> On 16.02.2012 18:26, Newatthis wrote:

I saw my search terms appended to the URL with a separator, like this.

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&gs_nf=1&cp=3&gs_id=l&xhr=t&q=restoration+hardware&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&pbx=1&oq=res&aq=0&aqi=g4&aql=&gs_sm=&gs_upl=&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=328452f340800b65&biw=1440&bih=735

while displaying search results on the page, before I even pressed search.

<shrug>

--
Thunderbird Beta | openSUSE 11.4 Linux
Get openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/121/en
Humans aren't a color of skin, a religion, a sex, a sexual orientation,
or a flag. We are human beings and that is how we need to see and treat
each other. - Justin Sane

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Cy Burnot
Newatthis has written on 2/16/2012 7:26 PM:

> On Feb 16, 7:23 pm, Cy Burnot <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Newatthis has written on 2/16/2012 6:59 PM:
>>
>> > Hello,
>>
>> > I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
>> > google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
>> > switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
>> > next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
>> > the google search box?
>>
>> > I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
>> > and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
>> > instead of the address bar.
>>
>> Why?
>
> Because when the search words are entered into the address bar, they
> don't always over-write the web address that's their already. So if
> I'm searching for restaurants, the address bar will read:
> http://www.google.comrestaurants.

Got it. Weird!

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Newatthis-2
WLS,

I don't intentionally want to enter my search term in the address bar. My web browser is doing this for me (even though it looks as if my cursor is in the search field). It used to be when I visited Google and began typing, it would automatically appear in the Google search field. But with the recent upgrades of Firefox, I am finding that the focus seems to default to the address bar.

How do I fix this??

Thanks

On 02/24/2012 11:53 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> WLS,
>
> I don't intentionally want to enter my search term in the address bar. My web browser is doing this for me (even though it looks as if my cursor is in the search field). It used to be when I visited Google and began typing, it would automatically appear in the Google search field. But with the recent upgrades of Firefox, I am finding that the focus seems to default to the address bar.
>
> How do I fix this??
>
> Thanks

I have no idea. I don't use Google, unless I'm testing it to see a
problem, and I don't have the problem you have.

--
Thunderbird Daily | openSUSE 11.4 Linux
Get openSUSE: http://software.opensuse.org/121/en

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Daniel-257
[hidden email] wrote:
> WLS,
>
> I don't intentionally want to enter my search term in the address bar. My web browser is doing this for me (even though it looks as if my cursor is in the search field). It used to be when I visited Google and began typing, it would automatically appear in the Google search field. But with the recent upgrades of Firefox, I am finding that the focus seems to default to the address bar.
>
> How do I fix this??
>
> Thanks

I just went to one of my open browser windows, selected Tools->Search
the Web, get the Google home page, typed "type" in the search box and
got ten possibilities.

WFM!

--
Daniel

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

carriemaloy
I am having this problem right now. And it doesnt seem like anyone actually came up with a solution on this thread??

I use google Chrome Browser and my favorite search engine is google. But I do not like that when I go to the search home page, and even though I click on the searchbox, which already has a blinking cursor in it, as soon as I start to type it only shows in the address bar.

Its the correct page, I know what I am doing. It was fine up to a couple weeks ago for me. Now it goes to address bar. And since it does that I dont get the same google sugestions as I type that used to drop down from the search bar.

Anyone find this thread please let me know what you think?
Thanks

On Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:59:10 PM UTC-8, Newatthis wrote:

> Hello,
>

> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
>
> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
>
> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
>
> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
>
> the google search box?
>

> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
>
> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
>
> instead of the address bar.
>

> Thank you!

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

Burry
On 23.10.13 2:28, [hidden email] wrote:

> I am having this problem right now. And it doesnt seem like anyone actually came up with a solution on this thread??
>
> I use google Chrome Browser and my favorite search engine is google. But I do not like that when I go to the search home page, and even though I click on the searchbox, which already has a blinking cursor in it, as soon as I start to type it only shows in the address bar.
>
> Its the correct page, I know what I am doing. It was fine up to a couple weeks ago for me. Now it goes to address bar. And since it does that I dont get the same google sugestions as I type that used to drop down from the search bar.
>
> Anyone find this thread please let me know what you think?
> Thanks
>

> On Thursday, February 16, 2012 3:59:10 PM UTC-8, Newatthis wrote:
>> Hello,
>>

>> I have a problem that has been driving me crazy.  Whenever I am at the
>>
>> google home page and start typing a search phrase, my web page
>>
>> switches my focus to the address bar so whatever I'm typing appears
>>
>> next to "http://www.google.com" even though my cursor is sitting in
>>
>> the google search box?
>>

>> I hope I have explained this clearly. If not, whenever I go to google
>>
>> and start typing a search, I would like it to appear in the search box
>>
>> instead of the address bar.
>>

>> Thank you!

Wait a year or two, then FF is the same as Chrome,
and we can better advise you.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

WaltS48
On 10/22/2013 08:28 PM, [hidden email] wrote:

> I am having this problem right now. And it doesnt seem like anyone actually came up with a solution on this thread??
>
> I use google Chrome Browser and my favorite search engine is google. But I do not like that when I go to the search home page, and even though I click on the searchbox, which already has a blinking cursor in it, as soon as I start to type it only shows in the address bar.
>
> Its the correct page, I know what I am doing. It was fine up to a couple weeks ago for me. Now it goes to address bar. And since it does that I dont get the same google sugestions as I type that used to drop down from the search bar.
>
> Anyone find this thread please let me know what you think?
> Thanks

I think you are confused, or a spammer.

Chrome browser support is in that direction ----------------->

[Chrome Help](https://support.google.com/chrome/#topic=3227046)

[Google Chrome Forum - Google
Groups](https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!forum/chrome)

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

goodwin-8
On 10/22/2013 06:48 PM, WaltS wrote:

> I think you are confused, or a spammer.

Think you mean troll here...

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

lcl1995
Wow, Mozilla fans are as big a bunch of assholes as apple fans. I'l never understand why people who don't have an answer like to post inane comments in response to a users questions.

My motivation here is to shame the shameless.

On 04/21/2014 08:04 AM, [hidden email] wrote:
> Wow, Mozilla fans are as big a bunch of assholes as apple fans. I'l never understand why people who don't have an answer like to post inane comments in response to a users questions.
>
> My motivation here is to shame the shameless.

Guilty!.

Some of us can be just as big a bunch of assholes as Google Group trolls
like you.

Do you have a solution for the users problem? Post it.

Re: when I type a search phrase, why does it appear in my address bar instead of the Google search box?

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
[hidden email] wrote:

> Wow, Mozilla fans are as big a bunch of assholes as apple fans.

You picked a thread that's over a year old to troll us?

> I'l never understand why people who don't have an answer like to post
> inane comments in response to a users questions.

This group isn't really for user questions.  User questions belong in
the mozilla.support.* hierarchy, where there's much less inanity.

> My motivation here is to shame the shameless.

Nah, you're just a trolling googlegrouper.

On 22/04/14 01:54, »Q« wrote:
> In <news:[hidden email]>,
> [hidden email] wrote:

<Snip>

>> My motivation here is to shame the shameless.
>
> Nah, you're just a trolling googlegrouper.

One wonders why anyone would troll in a support group, let alone a
general topic group (where, I suppose, trolling is as close to "on
topic" as anything else!!).

By posing a question in a support group, the OP is virtually stating
that they want to stick with whatever they had been using, as long as
they can fix the current situation and that they don't want to change
(which would be soooo easy to do!!)!!

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:28.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/28.0 SeaMonkey/2.25 Build identifier: 20140211200211

or

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:29.0) Gecko/20100101
Firefox/29.0 SeaMonkey/2.26 Build identifier: 20140408191805
1234 ... 6