Quantcast

what about thunderbird + lightning/sunbird mobile app and web app?

what about thunderbird + lightning/sunbird mobile app and web app?

jodother
would be a nice alternative to google mail and calendar, especially if
settings, mails, contacts and events are synchronized along different
devices (similarly to Firefox sync).

Re: what about thunderbird + lightning/sunbird mobile app and web app?

natewatson
On Jan 13, 8:48 am, jodother <[hidden email]> wrote:
> would be a nice alternative to google mail and calendar, especially if
> settings, mails, contacts and events are synchronized along different
> devices (similarly to Firefox sync).

YES! All of the major mobile email clients are proprietary. There
should be a mobile version of Thunderbird. I think a web app version
is possible, but cost dictates that people would have to be their own
providers. I think a tablet version would be popular for the same
users as Firefox Tablet.

Re: what about thunderbird + lightning/sunbird mobile app and web app?

oldholt68
I'd like to open this discussion again: as a couple of days ago all events & tasks in my Google Calendar disappeared without me doing anything and no other user has access. It really worries me that my Calendar (and what else) is not safe with Google. So I went to look for other solutions, like a calendar I can sync with Lightning in Thunderbird, locally, without cloud interference. Most people have home (or business) networks you could connect all devices to, so technical can't be a problem (what is nowadays? ;-))

Disappointing was: I didn't find any such solution. Nothing even close at Mozilla or forums. Most of them use Google Calendar, some have single device Calendars. But no local sync. While I think it would be a very popular service in these times of loss of privacy. Does anyone know of such a Calendar? Does anybody at Mozilla think about it? If not: why not?

Re: what about thunderbird + lightning/sunbird mobile app and web app?

Mark Rousell-3
On 14/09/2016 14:49, [hidden email] wrote:
> I'd like to open this discussion again: as a couple of days ago all events & tasks in my Google Calendar disappeared without me doing anything and no other user has access. It really worries me that my Calendar (and what else) is not safe with Google. So I went to look for other solutions, like a calendar I can sync with Lightning in Thunderbird, locally, without cloud interference. Most people have home (or business) networks you could connect all devices to, so technical can't be a problem (what is nowadays? ;-))
>
> Disappointing was: I didn't find any such solution. Nothing even close at Mozilla or forums. Most of them use Google Calendar, some have single device Calendars. But no local sync. While I think it would be a very popular service in these times of loss of privacy. Does anyone know of such a Calendar? Does anybody at Mozilla think about it? If not: why not?

Would OwnCloud <https://owncloud.org/> do what you want?

However, I agree that a lightweight, locally run-able calendar/contacts
server has merit.

--
Mark Rousell