webDAV enabled server question

user-41
Greetings,

I'm currently messing around with Sunbird trying to get it to work for
me and not having much luck.

I've just got off the phone to my ISP and they don't provide a webDAV
service.  Which is a shame since I wanted to try to put my calendar
within my existing website.

Can anyone recommend a good host (and preferably a free one since I
don't want to pay for another hosted site just for my calendar!) that is
suitable for hosting these files?

Cheers,
Al

Re: webDAV enabled server question

Christopher Jahn

www.icalx.com

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

Question Authority -- and the authorities will question you.

Re: webDAV enabled server question

Rod Whiteley
[hidden email] wrote:
> ...I wanted to try to put my calendar within my existing website...

Normally you FTP files to your web site.  Sunbird supports FTP.  You can
use this to put your calendar there.  Other people can access your
calendar using HTTP, just like the rest of your web site.

Strictly speaking, you asked your ISP the wrong question.  Sunbird does
not use WebDAV.  You only need a full-specification web server that
supports HTTP PUT.  If your ISP supports this, then you can send your
calendar to the web server directly (without using FTP).

--
Rod Whiteley

Re: webDAV enabled server question

Mark Harrison-7
>>I've just got off the phone to my ISP and they don't provide a webDAV
>>service.  Which is a shame since I wanted to try to put my calendar
>>within my existing website.

Try using ftp, with a url something like:

ftp://[hidden email]/path/to/calendar.ics

HTH!
Mark

--
Mark Harrison
Pixar Animation Studios

Rod Whiteley wrote:

> Strictly speaking, you asked your ISP the wrong question.  Sunbird does
> not use WebDAV.  You only need a full-specification web server that
> supports HTTP PUT.  If your ISP supports this, then you can send your
> calendar to the web server directly (without using FTP).

OK, now I am definitely confused.

My website supports the usual FTP protocols and probably HTTP PUT
(although I'm not sure how I'd use this - I'm a bit techy, but not very!).

I created an account at www.icalx.com as suggested.  Which works.  I
publish, uploading copies of the .ics and .html files to the server.
(There's another problem I encountered there, a big one, but it's a bug
currently being sorted on Bugzilla - the one of the login details not
being saved and thus being asked loads and loads of times).

Having read these new suggestions, I've tried again to bung the .ics
file onto a corner of my existing website.  I've used the ftp:// start
to the line, and tried it with and without the login details contained
within the URL.
No joy.  Both ways failed to publish each time with the code 0x804b000d
(which means nothing to me!).

Does it seem like I'm doing something wrong here, or is there another
problem going on I'm not aware of?

Something else puzzles me, which may be related...
Under Tools / Options / Publishing - what should go in the field
"Default Remote Filename"?  The whole URL?  And how does one use this to
publish an .htm file?  (Which presumably would be a way around the
problems I'm having - by just putting an HTML calendar file on my site.)

Apologies for what are probably very noobie questions, and thanks for
the help.

Re: webDAV enabled server question

Christopher Jahn
Rod Whiteley <[hidden email]> wrote in news:dmf1og$mvv1
@ripley.aoltw.net:

> [hidden email] wrote:
>> ...I wanted to try to put my calendar within my existing website...
>
> Normally you FTP files to your web site.  Sunbird supports FTP.  You can
> use this to put your calendar there.  Other people can access your
> calendar using HTTP, just like the rest of your web site.
>
> Strictly speaking, you asked your ISP the wrong question.  Sunbird does
> not use WebDAV.

Of course, all the documentation indicates that it does, hence the
confusion.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

The Second Law of Theatre: If it weren't for the last minute,
nothing would get done.

[hidden email] wrote in news:dmfj26$[hidden email]:

> Rod Whiteley wrote:
>>
>> Strictly speaking, you asked your ISP the wrong question.  Sunbird
>> does not use WebDAV.  You only need a full-specification web server
>> that supports HTTP PUT.  If your ISP supports this, then you can send
>> your calendar to the web server directly (without using FTP).
>>

> OK, now I am definitely confused.
>
> My website supports the usual FTP protocols and probably HTTP PUT
> (although I'm not sure how I'd use this - I'm a bit techy, but not
> very!).
>
> I created an account at www.icalx.com as suggested.  Which works.  I
> publish, uploading copies of the .ics and .html files to the server.
> (There's another problem I encountered there, a big one, but it's a
> bug currently being sorted on Bugzilla - the one of the login details
> not being saved and thus being asked loads and loads of times).
>
> Having read these new suggestions, I've tried again to bung the .ics
> file onto a corner of my existing website.  I've used the ftp:// start
> to the line, and tried it with and without the login details contained
> within the URL.
> No joy.  Both ways failed to publish each time with the code
> 0x804b000d (which means nothing to me!).
>
> Does it seem like I'm doing something wrong here, or is there another
> problem going on I'm not aware of?
>

> Something else puzzles me, which may be related...
> Under Tools / Options / Publishing - what should go in the field
> "Default Remote Filename"?  The whole URL?  And how does one use this
> to publish an .htm file?  (Which presumably would be a way around the
> problems I'm having - by just putting an HTML calendar file on my
> site.)

The "default name" works pretty much like any other "default" filename
feature: when you to to publish the calender, it will offer to publish to
that filename.  Think of saving jpgs from your camera, and they all start
with "MVC" or something.

You don't use it to publish an HTML file; exporting or publishing to HTML
is not currently an option.

--
}:-)       Christopher Jahn
{:-(       http://home.comcast.net/~xjahn/Main.html

The Second Law of Theatre: If it weren't for the last minute,
nothing would get done.

Re: webDAV enabled server question

jim fosse
Christopher Jahn wrote:
[snip]
>>Having read these new suggestions, I've tried again to bung the .ics
>>file onto a corner of my existing website.  I've used the ftp:// start
>>to the line, and tried it with and without the login details contained
>>within the URL.
>>No joy.  Both ways failed to publish each time with the code
>>0x804b000d (which means nothing to me!).
>>
>>Does it seem like I'm doing something wrong here, or is there another
>>problem going on I'm not aware of?

IIRC, I had the same problem until I uploaded the ics file with an ftp
program, then calendar would work. I appears that calendar wants to
download the ics file before it uploads it - so for the first time,
you're stuck. Try upload your ics file with another ftp client. Then run
calendar.

jim

Re: webDAV enabled server question

user-41

> IIRC, I had the same problem until I uploaded the ics file with an ftp
> program, then calendar would work. I appears that calendar wants to
> download the ics file before it uploads it - so for the first time,
> you're stuck. Try upload your ics file with another ftp client. Then run
> calendar.
>
> jim

Hmm, it's still being rather obstinate!

Uploaded the .ics file manually, no problem.
When trying to publish the calendar with an http:// prefix, I received a
"405, Method not allowed" error.
Tried with an ftp:// prefix and got the same 0x804b000d error as before,
and neither time was I asked for a username or password.

Am I right in thinking that this bit of code in Sunbird simply isn't
finished, or is just badly bugged?

I'd *like* to use it... so I hope both these problems get fixed fairly soon!

Re: webDAV enabled server question

Mark Tyndall
[hidden email] wrote:
[...]
> Hmm, it's still being rather obstinate!
>
> Uploaded the .ics file manually, no problem.
> When trying to publish the calendar with an http:// prefix, I received a
> "405, Method not allowed" error.

The server is saying it doesn't support the method used to publish the
calendar, which is HTTP PUT.

> Tried with an ftp:// prefix and got the same 0x804b000d error as before,
> and neither time was I asked for a username or password.
>
> Am I right in thinking that this bit of code in Sunbird simply isn't
> finished, or is just badly bugged?

I've had Sunbird and the Calendar extension to the Suite happily using
http publishing, but that was using a server I knew had PUT allowed
(Apache2 with mod_dav).  IMO, using DAV still remains the easiest way
(if you have control over the server) to add PUT to the methods Apache
supports.

regards,
Mark..

--
British English localisations of:
Mozilla Suite <http://www.tyndall.org.uk/moz_en-gb.html>

Mark Tyndall wrote:

> I've had Sunbird and the Calendar extension to the Suite happily using
> http publishing, but that was using a server I knew had PUT allowed
> (Apache2 with mod_dav).  IMO, using DAV still remains the easiest way
> (if you have control over the server) to add PUT to the methods Apache
> supports.
>
> regards,
> Mark..

Ahh, it begins to make sense now.  My server definitely doesn't have
webDAV, but I don't know about mod_dav.  (I suspect not, otherwise the
tech chap I spoke to would have probably have mentioned it when I
mentioned webDAV, which he'd never heard of.  They're surprisingly
helpful at my ISP!)

How do I set my "where to publish" string to use the HTTP PUT command,
or is that already done 'behind the scenes' in Sunbird?

Also, Mark, which Suite are you using it with please?  I'm currently
using Sunbird as a standalone, separate to my Mozilla 4.7.8 suite.  Will
either of the Calendar installations (1.4/1.7/1.8) work with this, or
does it have to be with the Netscape 7.x suites?

[hidden email] wrote:
> ...I don't know about mod_dav...

mod_dav is the Apache module that implements WebDAV.  As a side-effect,
it implements HTTP PUT.  If the server is Apache, then mod_dav is the
easiest way for the server admins to implement HTTP PUT.  If the server
is not Apache, then mod_dav is meaningless.

An ISP might refuse to implement the whole of WebDAV because they don't
want to support all the features that it provides.  But they might
possibly agree to implement HTTP PUT if you point out that it's part of
the HTTP specification.

> How do I set my "where to publish" string to use the HTTP PUT command,
> or is that already done 'behind the scenes' in Sunbird?

If you specify a URL that begins with http, then Sunbird uses HTTP.  It
uses PUT to put a file on the server, and GET to get a file from the
server.  You do not have to do anything special.

> ...my Mozilla 4.7.8 suite...

What's that?  The current Mozilla Suite seems to be 1.7.12

--
Rod Whiteley