userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

»Q«
tl;dr: In Fx 69+, using userChrome.css and userContent.css will be
controlled by a pref which will be off in new profiles.  Fx 68 will
toggle it on in profiles currently using either of those files.

<https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/24/firefox-69-userchrome-css-and-usercontent-css-disabled-by-default/>

<https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1541233>


_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

C. St-Luke
On 2019-05-24 9:31 AM, »Q« wrote:
> tl;dr: In Fx 69+, using userChrome.css and userContent.css will be
> controlled by a pref which will be off in new profiles.  Fx 68 will
> toggle it on in profiles currently using either of those files.
>
> <https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/24/firefox-69-userchrome-css-and-usercontent-css-disabled-by-default/>
>
> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1541233>
>
>


...end we will have another "the sky is falling" episode. :-)
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

Mozilla - General mailing list
In reply to this post by »Q«
»Q« wrote:
> tl;dr: In Fx 69+, using userChrome.css and userContent.css will be
> controlled by a pref which will be off in new profiles.  Fx 68 will
> toggle it on in profiles currently using either of those files.
>
> <https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/24/firefox-69-userchrome-css-and-usercontent-css-disabled-by-default/>
>
> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1541233>
>
>
Nothing to worry about. If you're using .css
toolkit.legacyUserProfileCustomizations.stylesheets will be true on update.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

Jeff Layman
In reply to this post by »Q«
On 24/05/19 14:31, »Q« wrote:
> tl;dr: In Fx 69+, using userChrome.css and userContent.css will be
> controlled by a pref which will be off in new profiles.  Fx 68 will
> toggle it on in profiles currently using either of those files.
>
> <https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/24/firefox-69-userchrome-css-and-usercontent-css-disabled-by-default/>

"The organization states that not having to look for the two files on
startup improves the start-up performance of the Firefox browser."

Never mind the functionality, just /feel/ the speed!

Why this obsession with speed? In particular, is start-up performance of
such importance?

--

Jeff
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Jeff Layman <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 24/05/19 14:31, »Q« wrote:
> > tl;dr: In Fx 69+, using userChrome.css and userContent.css will be
> > controlled by a pref which will be off in new profiles.  Fx 68 will
> > toggle it on in profiles currently using either of those files.
> >
> > <https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/24/firefox-69-userchrome-css-and-usercontent-css-disabled-by-default/>  
>
> "The organization states that not having to look for the two files on
> startup improves the start-up performance of the Firefox browser."
>
> Never mind the functionality, just /feel/ the speed!

There's no loss of functionality, but people who want to continue using
those files will have to set a pref if/when they create a new profile.

> Why this obsession with speed? In particular, is start-up performance
> of such importance?

I think start-up performance played a significant role of Fx's
calamitous loss of market share to Chrome, which was significantly
snappier.  Now they're more-or-less on par, but I guess it's important
to keep it that way.

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

The Real Bev
In reply to this post by »Q«
On 05/24/2019 06:31 AM, »Q« wrote:
> tl;dr: In Fx 69+, using userChrome.css and userContent.css will be
> controlled by a pref which will be off in new profiles.  Fx 68 will
> toggle it on in profiles currently using either of those files.
>
> <https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/24/firefox-69-userchrome-css-and-usercontent-css-disabled-by-default/>

BUT "Firefox users who use the files already will have the feature
enabled for them automatically to avoid disruptions to their workflows
or expectations."

This must be an error;  I'm sure someone will put it right soon :-(

> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1541233>

I don't remember ever having to tell FF to use these files, they just
got sucked in automatically.

--
Cheers, Bev
    No lawyering.  Prosecutors will be violated.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

WaltS48-9
In reply to this post by Jeff Layman
On 5/24/19 1:28 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:

> On 24/05/19 14:31, »Q« wrote:
>> tl;dr: In Fx 69+, using userChrome.css and userContent.css will be
>> controlled by a pref which will be off in new profiles.  Fx 68 will
>> toggle it on in profiles currently using either of those files.
>>
>> <https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/24/firefox-69-userchrome-css-and-usercontent-css-disabled-by-default/>
>>
>
> "The organization states that not having to look for the two files on
> startup improves the start-up performance of the Firefox browser."
>
> Never mind the functionality, just /feel/ the speed!
>
> Why this obsession with speed? In particular, is start-up performance of
> such importance?
>

Yes, just ask the users that complain about it.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

WaltS48-9
In reply to this post by The Real Bev
On 5/24/19 5:42 PM, The Real Bev wrote:

> On 05/24/2019 06:31 AM, »Q« wrote:
>> tl;dr: In Fx 69+, using userChrome.css and userContent.css will be
>> controlled by a pref which will be off in new profiles.  Fx 68 will
>> toggle it on in profiles currently using either of those files.
>>
>> <https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/24/firefox-69-userchrome-css-and-usercontent-css-disabled-by-default/>
>>
>
> BUT "Firefox users who use the files already will have the feature
> enabled for them automatically to avoid disruptions to their workflows
> or expectations."
>
> This must be an error;  I'm sure someone will put it right soon :-(

Did you read the "Timeline for the change(proposed, subject to change):
section of the blog post?

>
>> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1541233>
>
> I don't remember ever having to tell FF to use these files, they just
> got sucked in automatically.
>

Right now users don't have to tell Firefox, SeaMonkey or Thunderbird to
use those files.

Users with new installs of version 69.0 will have to set the preference
in about:config.

Current and future new users still have to create those files and the
chrome directory in the profile.

--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

The Real Bev
On 05/24/2019 05:26 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 5/24/19 5:42 PM, The Real Bev wrote:
>> On 05/24/2019 06:31 AM, »Q« wrote:
>>> tl;dr: In Fx 69+, using userChrome.css and userContent.css will be
>>> controlled by a pref which will be off in new profiles.  Fx 68 will
>>> toggle it on in profiles currently using either of those files.
>>>
>>> <https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/24/firefox-69-userchrome-css-and-usercontent-css-disabled-by-default/>
>>
>> BUT "Firefox users who use the files already will have the feature
>> enabled for them automatically to avoid disruptions to their workflows
>> or expectations."
>>
>> This must be an error;  I'm sure someone will put it right soon :-(
>
> Did you read the "Timeline for the change(proposed, subject to change):
> section of the blog post?

Sorry, I should have added a <sarcasm> tag.

>>> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1541233>
>>
>> I don't remember ever having to tell FF to use these files, they just
>> got sucked in automatically.
>
> Right now users don't have to tell Firefox, SeaMonkey or Thunderbird to
> use those files.
>
> Users with new installs of version 69.0 will have to set the preference
> in about:config.
>
> Current and future new users still have to create those files and the
> chrome directory in the profile.


--
Cheers, Bev
    An organizer for the "Million Agoraphobics March" expressed
    disappointment in the turnout for last weekend's event.
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

Hartmut Figge
In reply to this post by WaltS48-9
WaltS48:

>Users with new installs of version 69.0 will have to set the preference
>in about:config.

It is much preferable to use the user.js for such matters. Together with
a comment. I assume here, that the user.js is still evaluated in FF
during startup. :)

Hartmut
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

WaltS48-9
On 5/24/19 9:37 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:

> WaltS48:
>
>> Users with new installs of version 69.0 will have to set the preference
>> in about:config.
>
> It is much preferable to use the user.js for such matters. Together with
> a comment. I assume here, that the user.js is still evaluated in FF
> during startup. :)
>
> Hartmut
>

How does one use user.js to customize the look of the user interface?



--
OS: Ubuntu Linux 18.04LTS - Gnome Desktop
https://www.thunderbird.net/en-US/get-involved/
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

Hartmut Figge
WaltS48:
>On 5/24/19 9:37 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> WaltS48:

>>> Users with new installs of version 69.0 will have to set the preference
>>> in about:config.
>>
>> It is much preferable to use the user.js for such matters. Together with
>> a comment. I assume here, that the user.js is still evaluated in FF
>> during startup. :)>
>How does one use user.js to customize the look of the user interface?

Hach. You use it to set the pref which enables the use of chrome*.css.

Sorry, I don't now the English word for 'hach'. *g*

Hartmut
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

Hartmut Figge
Hartmut Figge:

>Sorry, I don't now the English word for 'hach'. *g*

I'm pretty sure I typed 'know' and not 'now'. Hm. Keyboard aging?

Hartmut
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

PietB-2
Hartmut Figge wrote:
> Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> Sorry, I don't now the English word for 'hach'. *g*
>
> I'm pretty sure I typed 'know' and not 'now'. Hm. Keyboard aging?

Typist aging? :-)

-p

_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

Hartmut Figge
PietB:
>Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> Hartmut Figge wrote:

>>> Sorry, I don't now the English word for 'hach'. *g*
>>
>> I'm pretty sure I typed 'know' and not 'now'. Hm. Keyboard aging?
>
>Typist aging? :-)

That's sure. I don't even know what I have forgotten. Not true. I now
realize I have forgotten the keystrokes required by Wordstar. :-D

Hartmut
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

GerardJan-8
Banned User
This post was updated on .
In reply to this post by PietB-2
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

The Real Bev
In reply to this post by Hartmut Figge
On 05/25/2019 02:27 AM, Hartmut Figge wrote:
> PietB:
>>Hartmut Figge wrote:
>>> Hartmut Figge wrote:
>
>>>> Sorry, I don't now the English word for 'hach'. *g*

OH my goodness!

>>> I'm pretty sure I typed 'know' and not 'now'. Hm. Keyboard aging?
>>
>>Typist aging? :-)
>
> That's sure. I don't even know what I have forgotten. Not true. I now
> realize I have forgotten the keystrokes required by Wordstar. :-D

I forgot those a long time ago :-(  I jumped ship when Word Perfect came
out with proportional fonts.  I've forgotten those keystrokes too :-(
It was possible to do really complex things with WP macros...

--
Cheers, Bev
     Cthulhu for President in 2020. Why vote for a lesser evil?
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

David E. Ross-3
In reply to this post by WaltS48-9
On 5/24/2019 7:29 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 5/24/19 9:37 PM, Hartmut Figge wrote:
>> WaltS48:
>>
>>> Users with new installs of version 69.0 will have to set the preference
>>> in about:config.
>>
>> It is much preferable to use the user.js for such matters. Together with
>> a comment. I assume here, that the user.js is still evaluated in FF
>> during startup. :)
>>
>> Hartmut
>>
>
> How does one use user.js to customize the look of the user interface?

Windows 7
SeaMonkey 2.49.4

The entries in my user.js file include doing the following.  Yes, many
of these can done via [Edit > Prefences] or <about:config>.  However,
the use of user.js means I do not have to remember what I changed --
generally via PrefBar -- in order to restore my preferred settings.
Instead, all I have to do is terminate SeaMonkey and then relaunch it.

*  Set my background color to pale mint green.  (Two preference: one to
set the color and the other to enable color.  Some sites display as
white text on a black background, which is horrible.)

*  Disable popups if I forget that I enabled them.

*  Display images only from requested domain.  (Some Web sites cannot be
properly viewed unless I enable all images.)

I also use user.js becasue it allows me to annotate why I am changing
preferences.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>

Donald Trump lied his way onto the Forbes 400 richest people list.
<https://tinyurl.com/yx9ebrqz>
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

Sailfish-4
In reply to this post by »Q«
My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 5/24/2019
6:31 AM:
> tl;dr: In Fx 69+, using userChrome.css and userContent.css will be
> controlled by a pref which will be off in new profiles.  Fx 68 will
> toggle it on in profiles currently using either of those files.
>
> <https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/24/firefox-69-userchrome-css-and-usercontent-css-disabled-by-default/>
>
> <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1541233>
>
Since I don't wish to remember this when it comes to pass, I added it to
my user.js file. Should be fine unless Mozilla decides to no longer
support that.

--
Sailfish
Rare Mozilla Stuff: http://tinyurl.com/z86x3sg
_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: userChrome.css and userContent.css disabled by default in Fx 69+

»Q«
In <news:[hidden email]>,
Sailfish <[hidden email]> wrote:

> My bloviated meandering follows what »Q« graced us with on 5/24/2019
> 6:31 AM:
> > tl;dr: In Fx 69+, using userChrome.css and userContent.css will be
> > controlled by a pref which will be off in new profiles.  Fx 68 will
> > toggle it on in profiles currently using either of those files.
> >
> > <https://www.ghacks.net/2019/05/24/firefox-69-userchrome-css-and-usercontent-css-disabled-by-default/>
> >
> > <https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1541233>
> >  
> Since I don't wish to remember this when it comes to pass, I added it
> to my user.js file. Should be fine unless Mozilla decides to no
> longer support that.

I use Stylish for what I used to have in userContent.css, and I just
realized everything in my userChrome.css is commented out.  I think it
stopped working when Australis was released and I never got around to
trying to tweak Australis or Quantum with it.

Also, I thought userChrome.css only applied to xul and that most or
all of the xul had already been ripped out of Fx.  


_______________________________________________
general mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/general
12