user question about seamonkey

M.Guda
I've taken the plunge and installed seamonkey 1.5 to try it out, and
I've got very mixed results. In the first instance I loved it, very
powerful with great new extensions (although definitely slower than
moz). But then the buttons on my navigator toolbar disappeared, and the
option to customize it has also vanished into thin air. I'd like them
back but am unsure how to proceed.
On a second machine where I installed it I have even more trouble. Here
I copied over my existing profile to a new one, edited all the
references, and brought it up; but although I had a number of extensions
in the profile, none of them show up. I'd like to have access to them or
uninstall them if they're incompatible, but now seamonkey does not even
see them. I did install the extension manager, and I can install new
extensions, but the old ones are just taking up space in my profile. How
do I activate them, or remove them, as appropriate?

Thanks for any help on this.
Margo Guda.

Re: user question about seamonkey

Adrian (Adrianer) Kalla
On 12/12/2005 3:35 PM, Margo Guda wrote:
> I've taken the plunge and installed seamonkey 1.5 to try it out, and
> I've got very mixed results. In the first instance I loved it, very
> powerful with great new extensions (although definitely slower than
> moz). But then the buttons on my navigator toolbar disappeared, and
> the option to customize it has also vanished into thin air. I'd like
> them back but am unsure how to proceed.

It's a bad idea to use the 1.5 NIGHTLIES - they can be VERY UNSTABLE.
If i were you i would try the 1.0a release or the 1.0b nightlies - they
are much more stable.

Adrianer

Re: user question about seamonkey

Justin Wood (Callek)
Adrian (Adrianer) Kalla wrote:

> On 12/12/2005 3:35 PM, Margo Guda wrote:
>> I've taken the plunge and installed seamonkey 1.5 to try it out, and
>> I've got very mixed results. In the first instance I loved it, very
>> powerful with great new extensions (although definitely slower than
>> moz). But then the buttons on my navigator toolbar disappeared, and
>> the option to customize it has also vanished into thin air. I'd like
>> them back but am unsure how to proceed.
>
> It's a bad idea to use the 1.5 NIGHTLIES - they can be VERY UNSTABLE.
> If i were you i would try the 1.0a release or the 1.0b nightlies - they
> are much more stable.
>
> Adrianer

Just for further reference, what is currently the 1.5 nightlies wont
have a final release until aprox "Firefox 3" is out.

What is 1.0 nightlies are based on much of the same backend as Firefox
1.5.  There may also end up being a 1.1 release based on much of the
same backend as "FF 2"

~Justin Wood (Callek)

Re: user question about seamonkey

Jeff Beal
Justin Wood (Callek) wrote:

> Adrian (Adrianer) Kalla wrote:
>> On 12/12/2005 3:35 PM, Margo Guda wrote:
>> It's a bad idea to use the 1.5 NIGHTLIES - they can be VERY UNSTABLE.
>> If i were you i would try the 1.0a release or the 1.0b nightlies -
>> they are much more stable.
>>
>> Adrianer
>
> What is 1.0 nightlies are based on much of the same backend as Firefox
> 1.5.  There may also end up being a 1.1 release based on much of the
> same backend as "FF 2"
>
> ~Justin Wood (Callek)

Just FYI, the nightly builds for SeaMonkey 1.0 seem to be here:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/contrib/latest-mozilla1.8/

Jeff Beal

Re: user question about seamonkey

Kenneth Porter-2
Jeff Beal <[hidden email]> wrote in news:dnn66q$[hidden email]:

> Just FYI, the nightly builds for SeaMonkey 1.0 seem to be here:
> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/contrib/latest
> -mozilla1.8/

Good to know. I was wondering why the 1.5 nightly I'd downloaded was so
unstable.

Re: user question about seamonkey

Leonidas Jones
Kenneth Porter wrote:
> Jeff Beal <[hidden email]> wrote in news:dnn66q$[hidden email]:
>
>> Just FYI, the nightly builds for SeaMonkey 1.0 seem to be here:
>> http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/contrib/latest
>> -mozilla1.8/
>
> Good to know. I was wondering why the 1.5 nightly I'd downloaded was so
> unstable.

Nightlies are nightlies, you never know.  I downloaded a trunk nightly
on my laptop, and that ones been fine. Mostly I've been running branch
nightlies, with no problems at all.

Lee

Re: user question about seamonkey

Michael Gordon
Margo Guda wrote:

> I've taken the plunge and installed seamonkey 1.5 to try it out, and
> I've got very mixed results. In the first instance I loved it, very
> powerful with great new extensions (although definitely slower than
> moz). But then the buttons on my navigator toolbar disappeared, and
> the option to customize it has also vanished into thin air. I'd like
> them back but am unsure how to proceed.
> On a second machine where I installed it I have even more trouble.
> Here I copied over my existing profile to a new one, edited all the
> references, and brought it up; but although I had a number of
> extensions in the profile, none of them show up. I'd like to have
> access to them or uninstall them if they're incompatible, but now
> seamonkey does not even see them. I did install the extension manager,
> and I can install new extensions, but the old ones are just taking up
> space in my profile. How do I activate them, or remove them, as
> appropriate?
>
> Thanks for any help on this.
> Margo Guda.

Hello Margo,

 From your post it sounds like you installed some extensions by copying
over from an older Moz application, and installed some from the normal
install procedure.

Try uninstalling Sea monkey including removing your SeaMonkey profile.
Reinstall SeaMonkey and create a new, unique profile.  You can copy over
such Moz files as Mail, Bookmarks, and address books, but extensions and
plugins need to be installed in the normal manner, extension files need
to be installed by dropping the file into an open SeaMonkey window.
Also keep in mind that not all previous Moz extensions may be compatible
for SeaMonkey at this time.

Michael