test

Seth
        This is a test.

Re: test

WaltS48-9
On 5/31/18 5:19 AM, Seth wrote:
> This is a test.

They haven't decommissioned this newsgroup yet. Might be happening next
month along with several others.

--
GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Re: test

Ed Mullen-10
On 5/31/2018 at 8:00 AM, WaltS48 created this epitome of digital genius:
> On 5/31/18 5:19 AM, Seth wrote:
>>     This is a test.
>>

> They haven't decommissioned this newsgroup yet. Might be happening next
> month along with several others.

Say what?!!!

--
Ed Mullen
https://edmullen.net/

Re: test

WaltS48-9
On 5/31/18 9:39 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:

> On 5/31/2018 at 8:00 AM, WaltS48 created this epitome of digital genius:
>> On 5/31/18 5:19 AM, Seth wrote:
>>>     This is a test.
>>>

>> They haven't decommissioned this newsgroup yet. Might be happening
>> next month along with several others.
>>

> Say what?!!!

Look at the archive and you will see the reasoning for shuttering this
group.

<https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/mozilla.general>

Although most of us have filters and don't see those posts.

--
GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Re: test

caver1-5
On 05/31/2018 10:14 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 5/31/18 9:39 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>>>

>>> They haven't decommissioned this newsgroup yet. Might be happening
>>> next month along with several others.
>>>

>> Say what?!!!
>>

> Look at the archive and you will see the reasoning for shuttering this
> group.
>
> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/mozilla.general>
>
> Although most of us have filters and don't see those posts.

Maybe a better way is to disconnect it from GG. Or is it just the
shuttering of the GG group?

--
Caver1

Re: test

Richard Alan
Caver1 wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:
>> Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> WaltS48 created this epitome of digital genius:

>>> Say what?!!!
>>
>> Look at the archive and you will see the reasoning for shuttering this
>> group.
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/mozilla.general>
>>
>> Although most of us have filters and don't see those posts.
>
> Maybe a better way is to disconnect it from GG. Or is it just the
> shuttering of the GG group?

No, GerardJan does not use Google Groups. If you examine his headers,
you'll see he posts through the mozilla news server.

There are three ways to post to these mozilla groups:  1) using a
newsreader, post directly to the news server, 2) post to the group(s)
through Google Groups as is indicated above, 3) post using email messages
to the list server. All three ways work, as messages are automatically
relayed to the other two.

Beware he sometimes changes his ID subtly. My method is the old Mark-One-
Eyeball-Ignore. It's easy, with a newsreader, to do this. Same works for
the "Balaco" identity, which is in a distant second place.  :-)

Re: test

caver1-5
On 05/31/2018 04:16 PM, Richard Alan wrote:

> Caver1 wrote:
>
>> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Look at the archive and you will see the reasoning for shuttering this
>>> group.
>>>
>>> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/mozilla.general>
>>>
>>> Although most of us have filters and don't see those posts.
>>
>> Maybe a better way is to disconnect it from GG. Or is it just the
>> shuttering of the GG group?
>
> No, GerardJan does not use Google Groups. If you examine his headers,
> you'll see he posts through the mozilla news server.
>
> There are three ways to post to these mozilla groups:  1) using a
> newsreader, post directly to the news server, 2) post to the group(s)
> through Google Groups as is indicated above, 3) post using email messages
> to the list server. All three ways work, as messages are automatically
> relayed to the other two.
>
> Beware he sometimes changes his ID subtly. My method is the old Mark-One-
> Eyeball-Ignore. It's easy, with a newsreader, to do this. Same works for
> the "Balaco" identity, which is in a distant second place.  :-)

GerrardJan has not been part of this thread. So is Mozilla getting rid
of this group or is Mozilla going to stop the tie in with GG?

--
Caver1

Re: test

Richard Alan
Caver1 wrote:

> On 05/31/2018 04:16 PM, Richard Alan wrote:
[snippage]

>> No, GerardJan does not use Google Groups. If you examine his headers,
>> you'll see he posts through the mozilla news server.
>>
>> There are three ways to post to these mozilla groups:  1) using a
>> newsreader, post directly to the news server, 2) post to the group(s)
>> through Google Groups as is indicated above, 3) post using email
>> messages to the list server. All three ways work, as messages are
>> automatically relayed to the other two.
>>
>> Beware he sometimes changes his ID subtly. My method is the old
>> Mark-One-
>> Eyeball-Ignore. It's easy, with a newsreader, to do this. Same works
>> for the "Balaco" identity, which is in a distant second place.  :-)
>
> GerrardJan has not been part of this thread.

Not yet, but if you look at all the posters over the last, say, couple of
months (all I keep), he has made much more than half of them.

> So is Mozilla getting rid
> of this group or is Mozilla going to stop the tie in with GG?

Neither, I would say. Why should they?  Google Groups is not at fault here.

Re: test

WaltS48-9
On 5/31/18 5:31 PM, Richard Alan wrote:

> Caver1 wrote:
>
>> On 05/31/2018 04:16 PM, Richard Alan wrote:
> [snippage]
>>> No, GerardJan does not use Google Groups. If you examine his headers,
>>> you'll see he posts through the mozilla news server.
>>>
>>> There are three ways to post to these mozilla groups:  1) using a
>>> newsreader, post directly to the news server, 2) post to the group(s)
>>> through Google Groups as is indicated above, 3) post using email
>>> messages to the list server. All three ways work, as messages are
>>> automatically relayed to the other two.
>>>
>>> Beware he sometimes changes his ID subtly. My method is the old
>>> Mark-One-
>>> Eyeball-Ignore. It's easy, with a newsreader, to do this. Same works
>>> for the "Balaco" identity, which is in a distant second place.  :-)
>>
>> GerrardJan has not been part of this thread.
>
> Not yet, but if you look at all the posters over the last, say, couple of
> months (all I keep), he has made much more than half of them.
>
>> So is Mozilla getting rid
>> of this group or is Mozilla going to stop the tie in with GG?
>
> Neither, I would say. Why should they?  Google Groups is not at fault here.

They plan to shutter this one because it isn't moderated, monitored, and
is a sewer. According to the bug reporter.

It is just one of 31 scheduled to be shuttered because there is nothing
useful in a year or more, has had an explicit announcement that
discussion has moved to discourse, or by permission of the owner.

No mozilla.support.xxxx groups are on the list, but this is just the
first pass.

Google Groups is just the archive.

On 5/31/18 10:31 AM, Caver1 wrote:

> On 05/31/2018 10:14 AM, WaltS48 wrote:
>> On 5/31/18 9:39 AM, Ed Mullen wrote:
>>> On 5/31/2018 at 8:00 AM, WaltS48 created this epitome of digital genius:

>>> Say what?!!!
>>>

>> Look at the archive and you will see the reasoning for shuttering this
>> group.
>>
>> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/mozilla.general>
>>
>> Although most of us have filters and don't see those posts.
>>

> Maybe a better way is to disconnect it from GG. Or is it just the
> shuttering of the GG group?

It will be disconnected from GG, and users won't be able to subscribe
to, receive or post using the mailing list or newsgroup is the way i
understand it.

--
GO GOLDEN KNIGHTS!
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Re: test

PietB-2
WaltS48 wrote:
> They plan to shutter this one because it isn't moderated, monitored,
> and is a sewer. According to the bug reporter.

"the bug reporter" suggests one person.

> It is just one of 31 scheduled to be shuttered because there is nothing
> useful in a year or more

Who determines what is "useful"? I've seen quite a lot of useful
postings/discussions. But I know how to filter crap and jerks and
I do so extensively.

> No mozilla.support.xxxx groups are on the list

But they're rendered pretty much useless when the "escape route"
for useful postings/discussions that in the moz.support groups
no longer completely fit the "rules".

-p

Re: test

Richard Alan
WaltS48 wrote:

> They plan to shutter this one because it isn't moderated, monitored, and
> is a sewer. According to the bug reporter.

Is this the opinion of the moderator?   :-)

Re: test

WaltS48-9
On 5/31/18 6:06 PM, Richard Alan wrote:
> WaltS48 wrote:
>
>> They plan to shutter this one because it isn't moderated, monitored, and
>> is a sewer. According to the bug reporter.
>
> Is this the opinion of the moderator?   :-)

There is no moderator of this group.

Chris, the moderator of the Firefox and Thunderbird support groups did
point out the stay on topic section of the forum etiquette
<https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/etiquette/> site in the bug
report.

" Off-topic discussion not taken to private email, mozilla.general, or
any place where it is not considered off-topic, by someone who knows
they should be taking it elsewhere, is eligible for removal from the
news server."

What I posted above was the opinion of the bug reporter in response to
his comment.

We just have to wait and see what happens next.

WaltS48 wrote:

> On 5/31/18 6:06 PM, Richard Alan wrote:
>> WaltS48 wrote:
>>> They plan to shutter this one because it isn't moderated, monitored,
>>> and is a sewer. According to the bug reporter.
>>
>> Is this the opinion of the moderator?   :-)
>
> There is no moderator of this group.

Yes, of course I know that...  (note the smiley face above)

> Chris, the moderator of the Firefox and Thunderbird support groups did
> point out the stay on topic section of the forum etiquette
> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/etiquette/> site in the bug
> report.
>
> " Off-topic discussion not taken to private email, mozilla.general, or
> any place where it is not considered off-topic, by someone who knows
> they should be taking it elsewhere, is eligible for removal from the
> news server."

From the _moderated_ groups, not .general

I guess there are grades of "sewer" in different peoples' eyes.

Re: test

caver1-5
On 05/31/2018 05:52 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 5/31/18 10:31 AM, Caver1 wrote:

>>> Look at the archive and you will see the reasoning for shuttering this
>>> group.
>>>
>>> <https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/mozilla.general>
>>>
>>> Although most of us have filters and don't see those posts.
>>>

>> Maybe a better way is to disconnect it from GG. Or is it just the
>> shuttering of the GG group?
>>

> It will be disconnected from GG, and users won't be able to subscribe
> to, receive or post using the mailing list or newsgroup is the way i
> understand it.

Thank you for the clarification.

--
Caver1

Re: test

caver1-5
On 05/31/2018 07:16 PM, Richard Alan wrote:

> WaltS48 wrote:

>>> Is this the opinion of the moderator?   :-)
>>
>> There is no moderator of this group.
>
> Yes, of course I know that...  (note the smiley face above)
>
>> Chris, the moderator of the Firefox and Thunderbird support groups did
>> point out the stay on topic section of the forum etiquette
>> <https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/about/forums/etiquette/> site in the bug
>> report.
>>
>> " Off-topic discussion not taken to private email, mozilla.general, or
>> any place where it is not considered off-topic, by someone who knows
>> they should be taking it elsewhere, is eligible for removal from the
>> news server."
>
>  From the _moderated_ groups, not .general
>
> I guess there are grades of "sewer" in different peoples' eyes.

There are problems, but I did think this was a general discussion group
so how could anything be off topic?

--
Caver1

Re: test

Richard Alan
Caver1 wrote:

> There are problems, but I did think this was a general discussion group
> so how could anything be off topic?

You got it in One.

Re: test

Daniel-2
Caver1 wrote on 01/06/18 09:36:

<Snip>

> There are problems, but I did think this was a general discussion group
> so how could anything be off topic?

and, IMHO, one of those problems is, because some posters don't
like/understand the moderation process on the m.s.ff group, they post
their FF problems here, rather than where they should go!!

IMHO, of course! ;-)

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: test

tanstaafl-2
On Fri Jun 01 2018 02:11:00 GMT-0400 (Eastern Standard Time), Daniel
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> and, IMHO, one of those problems is, because some posters don't
> like/understand the moderation process on the m.s.ff group, they post
> their FF problems here, rather than where they should go!!
>
> IMHO, of course! ;-)

Or, we understand it, but also understand that the moderator(s) will:
 a) permanently moderate posters for often petty or personal reasons,
and
 b) will delete posts from moderated users with no feedback or reasons
    given from then on

The operative word there being PERMANENTLY. No recourse. That is plain
ridiculous and tyrannical.

Re: test

The Real Bev
On 05/31/2018 11:11 PM, Daniel wrote:
> Caver1 wrote on 01/06/18 09:36:
>
> <Snip>
>
>> There are problems, but I did think this was a general discussion group
>> so how could anything be off topic?

How much does it cost to keep this group alive?

> and, IMHO, one of those problems is, because some posters don't
> like/understand the moderation process on the m.s.ff group, they post
> their FF problems here, rather than where they should go!!

As a permanently-moderated person, it's easier to get an answer here
than in the moderated groups.  Many of what I believe to be on-topic
posts (replies to questions raised in a thread, for instance) have been
eliminated.  Chris says my off/on-topic ratio is too high and I should
get it down, but I don't see that happening Real Soon Now.

> IMHO, of course! ;-)

Perhaps we should form an alt. group.

--
Cheers, Bev
    If you're ever about to be mugged by a couple