tasks and projects

Dan Vanderboom
I'm very excited to find Sunbird.  It looks fantastic and the concept is
open enough to expand to anyone's needs.  Keep up the excellent work!

In-List Editing of Tasks

I saw in the roadmap the desire to edit events in the list control that
appears above the calendar pane.  Great idea.  One thing I always liked
about Outlook was the ability to edit tasks right in the grid.  Will Sunbird
support this kind of editing for tasks as well as events?

Many Projects, Nested Projects

What would be a best practice for tracking multiple projects with Sunbird?
I see that tasks are assigned to a particular calendar, and this is a great
idea.  So if you were managing a handful of projects, you could use a new
calendar (probably remote shared) for each one.  Team members could add
events as well as tasks.  But what's the plan for people who, like me, have
dozens of projects going on, sometimes for multiple employers, and some
projects have subprojects?

Is there room in iCal or Sunbird to create subcalendars, such that a single
hosted calendar system could serve up a hierarchy of "schedules" for its
various projects?  This could be represented by a tree view instead of a
simple list in the calendar selection pane, and checkboxes could still be
used to show or hide projects in the task and calendar panes.

I'm a software developer, so this scenerio is very real for me.  Sunbird is
the closest open source solution I've seen that has the potential to manage
this kind of situation.

Project, Subproject, Task Outline Levels

Along the lines of my previous suggestion, it would be so nice to have a
pair of Promote and Demote buttons to indent or un-indent tasks, in order to
specify levels of relationship among tasks.  "Cleaning out the garage", if a
big enough job, might require many subtasks, and may be part of a larger
imperative (from the wife or girlfriend) to "Organize household".  At work
it's even more relevant, especially with large, long-running projects.

If done right in the task list, subcalendars might be unncessary.  You could
simply use the task list as your project-and-task list.  Parent tasks or
projects could then show a summary or aggregate of data for its child tasks.

Re: tasks and projects

Rod Whiteley
Dan Vanderboom wrote:
> Many Projects, Nested Projects...

Sunbird is a personal calendar client.  It is not groupware, and it is
not a project management tool.  In my opinion, there is a lot of work
still to be done to make it a really great personal calendar client.  So
I hope the project will resist feature creep in those other directions.

You can certainly use multiple calendars in a variety of ways.  My
Calendar Folders extension is designed to make it easier to manage many
calendars by grouping them in folders (although it does not currently
support more complex tree structures):

http://calendarhelp.mozdev.org/calfolder.html

Some users do need a sophisticated personal task manager, some need
groupware solutions, and some need project management.  I think those
needs could be met better by separate projects, perhaps providing
extensions to Sunbird or Lightning.  That way, the many users who only
need a calendar and a simple task list do not have to struggle with a
hugely complex application.

As a software developer with requirements in those areas, you might be
the right person to lead an extension project.

--
Rod Whiteley

Re: tasks and projects

Ivo van Dongen
Dan Vanderboom wrote:

> I'm very excited to find Sunbird.  It looks fantastic and the concept is
> open enough to expand to anyone's needs.  Keep up the excellent work!
>

> In-List Editing of Tasks
>
> I saw in the roadmap the desire to edit events in the list control that
> appears above the calendar pane.  Great idea.  One thing I always liked
> about Outlook was the ability to edit tasks right in the grid.  Will Sunbird
> support this kind of editing for tasks as well as events?
>

> Many Projects, Nested Projects
>
> What would be a best practice for tracking multiple projects with Sunbird?
> I see that tasks are assigned to a particular calendar, and this is a great
> idea.  So if you were managing a handful of projects, you could use a new
> calendar (probably remote shared) for each one.  Team members could add
> events as well as tasks.  But what's the plan for people who, like me, have
> dozens of projects going on, sometimes for multiple employers, and some
> projects have subprojects?
>
> Is there room in iCal or Sunbird to create subcalendars, such that a single
> hosted calendar system could serve up a hierarchy of "schedules" for its
> various projects?  This could be represented by a tree view instead of a
> simple list in the calendar selection pane, and checkboxes could still be
> used to show or hide projects in the task and calendar panes.
>
> I'm a software developer, so this scenerio is very real for me.  Sunbird is
> the closest open source solution I've seen that has the potential to manage
> this kind of situation.
>

> Project, Subproject, Task Outline Levels
>
> Along the lines of my previous suggestion, it would be so nice to have a
> pair of Promote and Demote buttons to indent or un-indent tasks, in order to
> specify levels of relationship among tasks.  "Cleaning out the garage", if a
> big enough job, might require many subtasks, and may be part of a larger
> imperative (from the wife or girlfriend) to "Organize household".  At work
> it's even more relevant, especially with large, long-running projects.
>
> If done right in the task list, subcalendars might be unncessary.  You could
> simply use the task list as your project-and-task list.  Parent tasks or
> projects could then show a summary or aggregate of data for its child tasks.

Hi,

Perhaps you should take a look at http://openprojectservices.org. We are
developing a project centered information system by coupling existing
opensource solutions such as sunbird and thunderbird to each other based
on project information.

Kind regards,
Ivo van Dongen

--
Ivo van Dongen

Func. Internet Integration

W http://www.func.nl

T +31 30 2109750

F +31 30 2109751

Re: tasks and projects

Rod Whiteley
Ivo van Dongen wrote:
> Perhaps you should take a look at http://openprojectservices.org ...

It looks like this will be very useful to a lot of people, although at
the moment it's difficult to see exactly what it does. ;)  (I know, I
could install a server and try it--too much work just now.)

I have mentioned it in the help.  This will appear in the next release
of the Calendar Help extension.

--
Rod Whiteley

Re: tasks and projects

Ivo van Dongen
Rod Whiteley wrote:

> Ivo van Dongen wrote:
>> Perhaps you should take a look at http://openprojectservices.org ...
>
> It looks like this will be very useful to a lot of people, although at
> the moment it's difficult to see exactly what it does. ;)  (I know, I
> could install a server and try it--too much work just now.)
>
> I have mentioned it in the help.  This will appear in the next release
> of the Calendar Help extension.

Thanks, we are planning to implement a demo-server to make it easier for
people to check out the functionality. If you need any help getting
started, just mail to out list.

Kind regards,

Ivo van Dongen

--