stylize html

рель май
hello.

i'm using bugzilla for my local projects and bugzilla html is very bad.
may i help you with prettify your html?

examples:
labels for inputs
moving colors and styles to css file
(may be) replace table menus with ul/li menus
move html code from perl code to templates

my bugzilla are placed in http://dev.mecto.net/bugzilla/

if i may help you, then please say me, which version to patch - 2.18
or 2.19 ?

thanks.

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists@...>

Re: stylize html

Myk Melez
рель май wrote:
hello.

i'm using bugzilla for my local projects and bugzilla html is very bad.
may i help you with prettify your html?
Absolutely!  A number of the problems have already been reported in the User Interface component in the Bugzilla product on bugzilla.mozilla.org, where we use Bugzilla to track its own bugs.  The best way to improve Bugzilla's HTML is to look at the User Interface component to see what bugs have been reported, choose some bugs to fix, file new bug reports if there aren't existing ones for the work you want to do, attach patches, and ask reviewers to review the changes.

Note that the most successful patches are small ones that fix individual problems rather than large ones that bundle multiple (potentially unrelated) fixes.  Note also that as soon as the Bugzilla tree reopens for 2.22 development I'll be holding weekly online UI hackathons where each week we target a specific part of the Bugzilla interface for improvements.  Your participation in those hackathons would be welcome!

examples:
labels for inputs
moving colors and styles to css file
(may be) replace table menus with ul/li menus
move html code from perl code to templates
These changes sound good (except possibly the table->ul change, which would depend on the particular table in question).

See bugs blocking the Bugzilla UI code conversion meta-bug for examples of work that has already been done in this vein.

if i may help you, then please say me, which version to patch - 2.18  or 2.19 ?
For a patch to be accepted into the Bugzilla tree for inclusion into the next release, it should be made against the latest Bugzilla code available in CVS.  You can obtain such a version by CVS updating a Bugzilla installation (back it up first, and don't do it on your main production version).

If you can't make your patch against the latest code from CVS, you may be able to get away with making it against the most recent developer release (i.e. 2.19.x at the moment) if the code you are changing hasn't been modified since that version.  But that's a risky proposition; you're much better off working from the Bugzilla tip.

-myk

Re: stylize html

Jeff-9
If I could chime in with a follow-up question...

I've been lurking these boards for a couple months, looking out for
UI-related activity.  I heard coordination of a UI hackathon (but not
sure if it actually went occurred).

I've looked through many of the UI-related bugs.   Some bug comments
make reference to a grand CSS/skinning plan, but I couldn't find a
link or compilation of what this plan is.   Can someone send me in the
direction of that?

Re:  waiting for the tree to open and 2.22 development to begin.  Does
this mean we should wait until this point in the future before we
could start submitting patches for UI-component bugs?  I have a draft
ready for a slightly-improved show_bug page.

Jeff

-

Jeff wrote:

>If I could chime in with a follow-up question...
>
>I've been lurking these boards for a couple months, looking out for
>UI-related activity.  I heard coordination of a UI hackathon (but not
>sure if it actually went occurred).

It hasn't happened yet.  We're waiting for the tree to open for 2.22
development.

>I've looked through many of the UI-related bugs.   Some bug comments
>make reference to a grand CSS/skinning plan, but I couldn't find a
>link or compilation of what this plan is.   Can someone send me in the
>direction of that?

Here's the latest version of the plan:

http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=&passw=&list=developers&brief=on&func=archive-get-part&extra=200408/54

Note that stage one of the plan has been completed on the trunk and will
be part of 2.20.

>Re:  waiting for the tree to open and 2.22 development to begin.  Does
>this mean we should wait until this point in the future before we
>could start submitting patches for UI-component bugs?  I have a draft
>ready for a slightly-improved show_bug page.

No need to wait; you can start submitting patches and getting review any
time.  The closed tree just means your patches won't get checked in
until the tree opens for 2.22 development (except in certain cases when
they qualify for inclusion in the 2.20 release).

-myk

-
To view or change your list settings, click here:
<http://bugzilla.org/cgi-bin/mj_wwwusr?user=lists@...>

Re: stylize html

Jeff-9
Awesome, I appreciate the response.  Thank you

jeff

-