styling a tree column header?

mixit
I've spent sometime investigating "using -moz-tree-*" selectors to try
to style the column header cell but have had no luck.
I can style it with direct access to the column n element from
"tree.columns[n].element" but I
cannot come up with a selector combo that does the same.
Unsuccessful variants were:

treechildren::-moz-tree-column        styled the column rows not the
header
tree::-moz-tree-column                   no effect at all
tree > ::-moz-tree-column               no effect (unsurprisingly)

Now MacFarlane's "Rapid Application Development with Mozilla" seems to
indicate the only margins, borders and text style can be styled via
moz pseudo-class selectors... but the book is out-of-date and I cannot
find any confirmation at MDC.

If anyone can offer any insights to this then please do...

Re: styling a tree column header?

Igor Tandetnik
mixit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've spent sometime investigating "using -moz-tree-*" selectors to try
> to style the column header cell but have had no luck.

Unlike tree rows or tree cells, column header cell directly corresponds
to a XUL element, namely <treecol>. You can style it as you would any
other XUL element, e.g. by giving it an id and then using #id selector.
--
Igor Tandetnik

On Mar 15, 7:26 pm, "Igor Tandetnik" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> mixit <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I've spent sometime investigating "using -moz-tree-*" selectors to try
> > to style the column header cell but have had no luck.
>
> Unlike tree rows or tree cells, column header cell directly corresponds
> to a XUL element, namely <treecol>. You can style it as you would any
> other XUL element, e.g. by giving it an id and then using #id selector.
> --
> Igor Tandetnik

As I indicated, I already know that once one has the element, one can
style it directly.

My question is aimed at using the "-moz-tree-*" to style column
headers.

To expand, I am generating large and complex RDF tree's and I am
seeking to style the column headers using
moz "properties" not DOM attributes - that way the styling is
controlled by the RDF content directly.

mixit <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mar 15, 7:26 pm, "Igor Tandetnik" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> mixit <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> I've spent sometime investigating "using -moz-tree-*" selectors to
>>> try to style the column header cell but have had no luck.
>>
>> Unlike tree rows or tree cells, column header cell directly
>> corresponds to a XUL element, namely <treecol>. You can style it as
>> you would any other XUL element, e.g. by giving it an id and then
>> using #id selector.
>
> As I indicated, I already know that once one has the element, one can
> style it directly.
>
> My question is aimed at using the "-moz-tree-*" to style column
> headers.

You do not need them. They were invented to allow one to apply styles to
frames not backed by XUL elements. Column header cells are backed by XUL
elements, so you don't need those special selectors.

What exactly are you trying to do, that you have difficulty doing with
normal CSS selectors?

> To expand, I am generating large and complex RDF tree's and I am
> seeking to style the column headers using
> moz "properties" not DOM attributes - that way the styling is
> controlled by the RDF content directly.

Can you give them classes and style via treecol.someclass ? Or give them
some attributes and style via treecol[someattr="true"] ?
--
Igor Tandetnik