still plans to support ftp for remote calendar update?

still plans to support ftp for remote calendar update?

Mark Harrison-7
I've been using sunbird to maintain some calendars
on a web server which are presented using phpicalendar,
accessing and updating the files via FTP.

The combination of Sunbird + phpicalendar works really well.

Looking at 2005-10-18-10-trunk

Subscribe to remote calendar.../Remote

gives me an option of Format: Webdav and Caldav

Entering an ftp//[hidden email]/mycal.ics still works, but
it might be confusing to people not to have an ftp
option on the menu.

I'm not sure how much traffic is on this list, but I'd
just like to let you know that Sunbird is looking very
nice.  My wife, not a techie at all, also likes the
look and ease of use.  Keep up the good work!!

PS, extra kudos for being able to support an ftp user
name with an "@" in it.  I am using bluehost.com where
extra ftp accounts are given the name "[hidden email]",
resulting in a url like
ftp://[hidden email]@example.com/mycal.ics

Rgds,
Mark

--
Mark Harrison
Pixar Animation Studios

Re: still plans to support ftp for remote calendar update?

Rod Whiteley
Mark Harrison wrote:
> ...an option of Format: Webdav and Caldav

The option is badly worded.  Calendar/Sunbird does not support WebDAV,
and never has.  The data format is always ICS (used by CalDAV and also
by other servers).

Better wording might be:

   Server type:  o File   o CalDAV

For file servers, Calendar/Sunbird can use the protocol schemes http,
webcal (an alias for http), https, ftp (except in Thunderbird), or file.

--
Rod Whiteley

Re: still plans to support ftp for remote calendar update?

Dan Mosedale
Rod Whiteley wrote:
> Mark Harrison wrote:
>> ...an option of Format: Webdav and Caldav
>
> The option is badly worded.  Calendar/Sunbird does not support WebDAV,
> and never has.  The data format is always ICS (used by CalDAV and also
> by other servers).

In the future, I'd like to make the ICS provider autodiscover WebDAV
features (eg locking) and use them if available.

> Better wording might be:
>
>   Server type:  o File   o CalDAV
>
> For file servers, Calendar/Sunbird can use the protocol schemes http,
> webcal (an alias for http), https, ftp (except in Thunderbird), or file.

What we're hoping to do in the future is make it easier on everyone.  My
current thinking is that we should probably have one button that leads
to a filepicker for local files, and then a URL box.  I believe we
should, in general, be able to have the calendar code autodiscover what
sort of calendar is at an http: URL (http, webdav, caldav, hCalendar, etc).

Dan