setting the value of an iaccessibility object (text box)

setting the value of an iaccessibility object (text box)

checkit
hello,

i wrote a code which works great on explorer but it is not working for
me on firefox.
the important part of the code:
  if (GetCursorPos(&pt) && (pt.x != g_pt.x || pt.y != g_pt.y)) {
    g_pt = pt;
    IAccessible *pacc, *new_pacc;

    VARIANT vtChild;
   if (SUCCEEDED(AccessibleObjectFromPoint(pt, &pacc, &vtChild))) {
        new_pacc= pacc;

         BSTR Result = L"";

       BSTR bsName = NULL;
      BSTR bsValue = NULL;
 BSTR mine = L"shai";

      pacc->get_accName(vtChild, &bsName);
      pacc->get_accValue(vtChild, &bsValue);
          HRESULT res= pacc->put_accValue(vtChild, mine);

i used it to get the text from any text box, and setting my own text.
however, in firefox i had only partiall success on receiveing the
value with get_accValue,
and no success with put_accValue which returns in res - not
implemented.

pleash help me..

Re: setting the value of an iaccessibility object (text box)

Marco Zehe-3
Hi,

checkit wrote:
> i used it to get the text from any text box, and setting my own text.
> however, in firefox i had only partiall success on receiveing the
> value with get_accValue,
> and no success with put_accValue which returns in res - not
> implemented.

What exactly are you trying to accomplish? For Textboxes, the accessible
value usually represents the text that's visible on-screen. If you are
trying to change that, this means that the text that is visible on the
screen, and which a user can interact with, will differ from the text
the screen reader reports. This introduces a lot of potential for faulty
edits and data loss.
If you want to change the text in a textbox, change it in the textbox
directly, the accessible value will then get updated automatically.

Marco

Re: setting the value of an iaccessibility object (text box)

checkit

> What exactly are you trying to accomplish?
I'm trying to write an application which any user who wants to change
the text appearing on the textbox, with my application, could do it
with my application.

> If you are
> trying to change that, this means that the text that is visible on the
> screen, and which a user can interact with, will differ from the text
> the screen reader reports. This introduces a lot of potential for faulty
> edits and data loss.
it shouldn't create any problems, instead of the user writing it
himself, he asks my application to do it for him.
> If you want to change the text in a textbox, change it in the textbox
> directly, the accessible value will then get updated automatically.
as you see i can't change it in the textbox...

any idea?

Re: setting the value of an iaccessibility object (text box)

Aaron Leventhal-3
put_accValue isn't all that useful since you can only change the entire
string at once.

That's why we have methods to move the caret, delete a substring, insert
text at an offset, etc. in the IAccessible2 family of interfaces which
Firefox 3 beta supports.

Search for info on IAccessibleText and IAccessibleEditableText, etc.

- Aaron

checkit wrote:

> hello,
>
> i wrote a code which works great on explorer but it is not working for
> me on firefox.
> the important part of the code:
>    if (GetCursorPos(&pt)&&  (pt.x != g_pt.x || pt.y != g_pt.y)) {
>      g_pt = pt;
>      IAccessible *pacc, *new_pacc;
>

>      VARIANT vtChild;
>     if (SUCCEEDED(AccessibleObjectFromPoint(pt,&pacc,&vtChild))) {
> new_pacc= pacc;
>
> BSTR Result = L"";
>
>         BSTR bsName = NULL;
>        BSTR bsValue = NULL;
>   BSTR mine = L"shai";
>
>        pacc->get_accName(vtChild,&bsName);
>        pacc->get_accValue(vtChild,&bsValue);
>  HRESULT res= pacc->put_accValue(vtChild, mine);
>
> i used it to get the text from any text box, and setting my own text.
> however, in firefox i had only partiall success on receiveing the
> value with get_accValue,
> and no success with put_accValue which returns in res - not
> implemented.
>
> pleash help me..

Re: setting the value of an iaccessibility object (text box)

checkit
thanks,
this should be useful.

still i have questions about it:
1. does it support all firefox versions or only 3? does it support
other browsers?
2. is it a completely released version? (i read that it is still in
developing stage)?

Re: setting the value of an iaccessibility object (text box)

Aaron Leventhal-3
Only in Firefox 3, which is not released yet.

Sorry we don't have a solution in Firefox 2.

- Aaron

checkit wrote:
> thanks,
> this should be useful.
>
> still i have questions about it:
> 1. does it support all firefox versions or only 3? does it support
> other browsers?
> 2. is it a completely released version? (i read that it is still in
> developing stage)?

Re: setting the value of an iaccessibility object (text box)

sylvain.werdefroy
Hi Aaron and all,

This topic is a bit old ;-), but put_AccValue() is still not implemented in Firefox, while both Internet Explorer and Chrome implements the put_AccValue() function in the IAccessible interface.

It would be very nice to have this implementation in Firefox too, as IAccessible interface is easier to use than the IAccessible2 that needs to register a proxy etc. (my application (swSSO) is a standalone and portable executable)

Would it be possible to have it?

Thanks,

Regards

Sylvain

Re: setting the value of an iaccessibility object (text box)

Alexander Surkov
Hey. Could you please file a bug [1] under 'Disability Access APIs'
component and provide some details why you need it.
Thanks!
Alexander.

[1] https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=Core