scripting jaws for thunderbird

LaGuna-3
I am  a Jaws screen rader user, and recently  switched almost exclusively to
firefox and thunderbird.
Would like to script jaws to access some information wich by default is not
provided by thunderbird: does  thunderbird  exposes his properties events
etc via com objects? any pointer to   documentation and possibly example is
welcome.

Re: scripting jaws for thunderbird

Victor Tsaran
Luca,
No, currently scripting Thunderbird with JAWS is not possible. The MSAA
support is there but it is not properly exposed to scripting engines.
Regards,
Victor

Luca wrote:
> I am  a Jaws screen rader user, and recently  switched almost exclusively to
> firefox and thunderbird.
> Would like to script jaws to access some information wich by default is not
> provided by thunderbird: does  thunderbird  exposes his properties events
> etc via com objects? any pointer to   documentation and possibly example is
> welcome.

Re: scripting jaws for thunderbird

Luca-44

"Victor Tsaran" <[hidden email]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[hidden email]...
> Luca,
> No, currently scripting Thunderbird with JAWS is not possible. The MSAA
> support is there but it is not properly exposed to scripting engines.
> Regards,
> Victor

thanks victor,
is there any plan to  expose msaa  to scripting engine  in the  quite near
future?

Re: scripting jaws for thunderbird

Victor Tsaran
> thanks victor,
> is there any plan to  expose msaa  to scripting engine  in the  quite near
> future?

I believe, this work was planned for Firefox 3.0.
Vic

Re: scripting jaws for thunderbird

Aaron Leventhal-3
Luca,

What's not working with Thunderbird 2 with JAWS
that you need scripting for?

Perhaps there's another workaround.

Victor, is it possible to get a reasonable user
experience with Thunderbird and JAWS now?

- Aaron

Victor Tsaran wrote:
>> thanks victor,
>> is there any plan to  expose msaa  to scripting engine  in the  quite
>> near future?
>>

> I believe, this work was planned for Firefox 3.0.
> Vic

Re: scripting jaws for thunderbird

LaGuna-3
Aron,
Basically i would change  the order   in which message info are read in the
message list: the read/unread status of  a message and  the  eventual label
are read   after  the other info (subject, sender etc) which is quite
annoying for me  but this  is a question of preferences...
Jaws would let one  rearrange the order  in which  the columns are  spoken
and eventually suppress   them  in a list view but that is not a standard
windows listview, so reclassing  the message list does not work.
Also i cannot find   a  keyboard or menu command  to rearrange   the columns
physically on the screen.
On another topic  I found some strange behaviour  of  jaws 8 with
Thunderbird 2, it  seems to work not so well, but i have  to investigate it
a bit more.

"Aaron Leventhal" <[hidden email]> ha scritto nel messaggio
news:[hidden email]...

> Luca,
>
> What's not working with Thunderbird 2 with JAWS that you need scripting
> for?
>
> Perhaps there's another workaround.
>
> Victor, is it possible to get a reasonable user experience with
> Thunderbird and JAWS now?
>
> - Aaron
>
> Victor Tsaran wrote:
>>> thanks victor,
>>> is there any plan to  expose msaa  to scripting engine  in the  quite
>>> near future?
>>>

>> I believe, this work was planned for Firefox 3.0.
>> Vic

Re: scripting jaws for thunderbird

David Bolter
Luca,

Your points are good ones, thanks. Just a quick note about the columns;
you are correct that there doesn't seem to be a keyboard way of
re-ordering them, note also there is a way to show/suppress columns in
Thunderbird but it too is not keyboard accessible (Mozilla bug 370437).
I've added a note about reordering to this bug.

cheers,
David

Luca wrote:

> Aron,
> Basically i would change  the order   in which message info are read in the
> message list: the read/unread status of  a message and  the  eventual label
> are read   after  the other info (subject, sender etc) which is quite
> annoying for me  but this  is a question of preferences...
> Jaws would let one  rearrange the order  in which  the columns are  spoken
> and eventually suppress   them  in a list view but that is not a standard
> windows listview, so reclassing  the message list does not work.
> Also i cannot find   a  keyboard or menu command  to rearrange   the columns
> physically on the screen.
> On another topic  I found some strange behaviour  of  jaws 8 with
> Thunderbird 2, it  seems to work not so well, but i have  to investigate it
> a bit more.
>
> "Aaron Leventhal" <[hidden email]> ha scritto nel messaggio
> news:[hidden email]...
>> Luca,
>>
>> What's not working with Thunderbird 2 with JAWS that you need scripting
>> for?
>>
>> Perhaps there's another workaround.
>>
>> Victor, is it possible to get a reasonable user experience with
>> Thunderbird and JAWS now?
>>
>> - Aaron

>>> I believe, this work was planned for Firefox 3.0.
>>> Vic

Re: scripting jaws for thunderbird

Aaron Leventhal-3
I wonder if someone could write an extension to
fix this for the short term, until Thunderbird 3
comes out.

- Aaron

David Bolter wrote:

> Luca,
>
> Your points are good ones, thanks. Just a quick note about the columns;
> you are correct that there doesn't seem to be a keyboard way of
> re-ordering them, note also there is a way to show/suppress columns in
> Thunderbird but it too is not keyboard accessible (Mozilla bug 370437).
> I've added a note about reordering to this bug.
>
> cheers,
> David
>

> Luca wrote:
>> Aron,
>> Basically i would change  the order   in which message info are read
>> in the message list: the read/unread status of  a message and  the
>> eventual label are read   after  the other info (subject, sender etc)
>> which is quite annoying for me  but this  is a question of preferences...
>> Jaws would let one  rearrange the order  in which  the columns are
>> spoken and eventually suppress   them  in a list view but that is not
>> a standard windows listview, so reclassing  the message list does not
>> work.
>> Also i cannot find   a  keyboard or menu command  to rearrange   the
>> columns physically on the screen.
>> On another topic  I found some strange behaviour  of  jaws 8 with
>> Thunderbird 2, it  seems to work not so well, but i have  to
>> investigate it a bit more.
>>
>> "Aaron Leventhal" <[hidden email]> ha scritto nel
>> messaggio news:[hidden email]...
>>> Luca,
>>>
>>> What's not working with Thunderbird 2 with JAWS that you need
>>> scripting for?
>>>
>>> Perhaps there's another workaround.
>>>
>>> Victor, is it possible to get a reasonable user experience with
>>> Thunderbird and JAWS now?
>>>
>>> - Aaron

RE: scripting jaws for thunderbird

Pratik Patel-3
Aaron Leventhal Wrote:

I wonder if someone could write an extension to
fix this for the short term, until Thunderbird 3
comes out.

PP:  I'll try scripting this any way.  Give me a few weeks to try a bunch of
things.  It may not need MSAA for now.  It might be good to have access to
these components, including a way of handling column changes via keyboard.

Pratik