resend: what is being resent

Mathias Koerber
when reloading a page resulting from a query, FF sometimes asks that it
has to resend the query data. It would be nice if there was an option
where it showed exactly what info is being resent.

Re: resend: what is being resent

Moz Champion (Dan)
Mathias Koerber wrote:
> when reloading a page resulting from a query, FF sometimes asks that it
> has to resend the query data. It would be nice if there was an option
> where it showed exactly what info is being resent.

It is resending the query exactly as it was sent previously.

i.e. if you typed in "fuddle duddle", it will resend "fuddle duddle"
plus whatever information the site requires - which may be your IP (so
the page cans send the information back), your UserAgent (UA) string,
perhaps the referal url, and any cookie or other information required by
the site.

Not all sites will require all information to be resent, but it will not
be any more than was originally sent when you requested the information
in the first place.

The point is, that the 'page' you are looking at, say from the results
of a search, doesn't really exist!  The information for the query was
sent to your computer and put in place on the pre-formatted 'page', so
you really can't go 'back' to it, because it isn't there!  If you want
to go back, you have to resend the query, so the information can be
resent to you.

Re: resend: what is being resent

Miles-4
* Moz Champion (Dan) wrote, On 12/19/2008 11:27:

> Mathias Koerber wrote:
>> when reloading a page resulting from a query, FF sometimes asks that it
>> has to resend the query data. It would be nice if there was an option
>> where it showed exactly what info is being resent.
>

> It is resending the query exactly as it was sent previously.
>
> i.e. if you typed in "fuddle duddle", it will resend "fuddle duddle"
> plus whatever information the site requires - which may be your IP (so
> the page cans send the information back), your UserAgent (UA) string,
> perhaps the referal url, and any cookie or other information required by
> the site.
>
> Not all sites will require all information to be resent, but it will not
> be any more than was originally sent when you requested the information
> in the first place.
>
> The point is, that the 'page' you are looking at, say from the results
> of a search, doesn't really exist!  The information for the query was
> sent to your computer and put in place on the pre-formatted 'page', so
> you really can't go 'back' to it, because it isn't there!  If you want
> to go back, you have to resend the query, so the information can be
> resent to you.

This must be something quite new for I had never received this window
until a few weeks ago, and now it's overly common.  Is there a method to
avoid it and still have such sites open automatically.

Miles wrote:

> * Moz Champion (Dan) wrote, On 12/19/2008 11:27:
>> Mathias Koerber wrote:
>>> when reloading a page resulting from a query, FF sometimes asks that it
>>> has to resend the query data. It would be nice if there was an option
>>> where it showed exactly what info is being resent.
>>

>> It is resending the query exactly as it was sent previously.
>>
>> i.e. if you typed in "fuddle duddle", it will resend "fuddle duddle"
>> plus whatever information the site requires - which may be your IP (so
>> the page cans send the information back), your UserAgent (UA) string,
>> perhaps the referal url, and any cookie or other information required
>> by the site.
>>
>> Not all sites will require all information to be resent, but it will
>> not be any more than was originally sent when you requested the
>> information in the first place.
>>
>> The point is, that the 'page' you are looking at, say from the results
>> of a search, doesn't really exist!  The information for the query was
>> sent to your computer and put in place on the pre-formatted 'page', so
>> you really can't go 'back' to it, because it isn't there!  If you want
>> to go back, you have to resend the query, so the information can be
>> resent to you.
>
> This must be something quite new for I had never received this window
> until a few weeks ago, and now it's overly common.  Is there a method to
> avoid it and still have such sites open automatically.

Its been around since the early '90s. Why you haven't noticed it
previously I don't know.

If it is 'common' now then you are doing a lot of generated pages, vice
set pages.

When you do a query, the page you see with the information doesn't exist
anywhere but on your computer.  The page isn't on the server, it isn't
anywhere but on yours.  The site sends to your computer a page layout,
and then provides the computer with information (based on your query)
that is filled in on your screen.

Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
> Mathias Koerber wrote:
>> when reloading a page resulting from a query, FF sometimes asks that it
>> has to resend the query data. It would be nice if there was an option
>> where it showed exactly what info is being resent.
>

> It is resending the query exactly as it was sent previously.

Sure. But sometimes one may not remember what was in such a page (if it
gets reloaded after a longer while) and/or repeating such a query may
trigger something undesired (duplicate signups or worse), so being able
to see what the original query was would be useful.
Even more useful would be to be able to modify the whole query (the
URLbar doesn't usually contain that info), but it may also be overkill
(and possibly open other issues)

Re: resend: what is being resent

Ralph Fox-3
On Fri, 19 Dec 2008 18:05:53 +0800, in message <[hidden email]>,
Mathias Koerber wrote:

> when reloading a page resulting from a query, FF sometimes asks that it
> has to resend the query data. It would be nice if there was an option
> where it showed exactly what info is being resent.

The "Live HTTP Headers" extension will show you what is being (re)sent.

"Live HTTP Headers" -- https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/3829

On Sat, 20 Dec 2008 10:33:22 +0800, in message <[hidden email]>,
Mathias Koerber wrote:

> But sometimes one may not remember what was in such a page (if it
> gets reloaded after a longer while) and/or repeating such a query may
> trigger something undesired (duplicate signups or worse), so being able
> to see what the original query was would be useful.

Live HTTP Headers will not show you what is going to be sent before you send it.

If you want to see what was sent the first time, you would need to
have had Live HTTP Headers open at the time.  I haven't checked
how far you can scroll back.

> Even more useful would be to be able to modify the whole query (the
> URLbar doesn't usually contain that info), but it may also be overkill
> (and possibly open other issues)

This is not a function of Live HTTP Headers.

--
Cheers,
Ralph