release status

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
25 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

release status

Axel Hecht
Hi,

tomorrow is the first chunk of releases, which will contain 20 locales,
counting both en-US and ja-JP-mac. Sounds better than it is. Please do
read the last paragraph, too.

The locales that have SIM RELEASE in the "Notes" column on
http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Firefox_1.5_release_candidate_Status will
make the simultaneous release.
Please ignore the other columns, nobody bothered to update those in a
while, because wiki tables are dense to read on the one hand, but
they're just painful to edit. Some of that information is kept in little
composer-victims that we mail around internally.

The second bunch of locales will consist of cs, pt-BR, ru, sk, eu, hu,
ro, tr, with ca if I get a patch for that until tomorrow.
The timeline for that bunch will be as late as next tuesday, a good week
from now. I'm not convinced that that is a good one, but I'll have to
lead a few more arguments with QA and Builds about this.

All other locales have blockers which I will file tomorrow. Look at your
trademarks files again. Non-localized central.html links in bookmarks
are good candidates. ab.start.mozilla.org does not resolve, and will not.

I do have my own comments on what happened and how, and some proposals.
Some technical, some organizational, some political. I do expect that
you will have a descent amount of comments, too. I will comment on those
in the newsgroup to some extent, but more generally, collect them and
put them forward in the Mozilla All-Hands, which is next week in
Mountain View. I do expect that we will see some post-mortem analysis of
the 1.5 release in general, and I'll do a general round up on that
afterwards.

GENERALLY: One important part of the release process is getting a
reproducible source code for our builds. This is a requirement from our
license, for one part.
I'm using the following link (sanitize it, mail/news will likely bork it)
http://bonsai-l10n.mozilla.org/cvsquery.cgi?treeid=default&module=all&branch=MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH&branchtype=match&dir=l10n&file=&filetype=match&who=&whotype=match&sortby=Date&hours=2&date=explicit&mindate=2005-11-9+00%3A00%3A00&maxdate=&cvsroot=%2Fl10n
to track which locales we can release. If you take a look at that, you
will see that locking down the l10n repository did not work.
Any check-in that goes into this tree is a threat to any other release,
if we can't tag the tree for a release, we won't release anything.
Localizers are definitly required to follow both their bugmail and posts
in this newsgroup. If anything funny seems to happen to your repository,
I NEED TO KNOW. Drop me a mail. Don't assume that you can just go there
and play. I'm spending way too much time tracking things that I
shouldn't. In short, NOTHING LANDS ON MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH WITHOUT
APPROVAL. Approvals are ALWAYS in bugs, bugs are always referenced in
check in comments. Anybody looking at that query result above needs to
be able to verify who landed what why, and who approved it.

Ok, that was this part of the rant, I need to do a second per mail, still.

I'll see what I can do about the second chunk of locales

Axel
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Andras Timar
Axel Hecht írta:
>
> The second bunch of locales will consist of cs, pt-BR, ru, sk, eu, hu,
> ro, tr, with ca if I get a patch for that until tomorrow.

What patches are you referring to? I'm not aware of any pending issues
in Hungarian. Could you please clarify? Can I do anything about it?

Thanks,
Andras
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Ognyan Kulev
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
Axel Hecht wrote:
> All other locales have blockers which I will file tomorrow.

What is the best case scenario (release date) for these other locales?

Regards,
ogi
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Axel Hecht
In reply to this post by Andras Timar
Andras Timar wrote:
> Axel Hecht írta:
>> The second bunch of locales will consist of cs, pt-BR, ru, sk, eu, hu,
>> ro, tr, with ca if I get a patch for that until tomorrow.
>
> What patches are you referring to? I'm not aware of any pending issues
> in Hungarian. Could you please clarify? Can I do anything about it?

Oh, yeah, I can clarify that.

The second bunch of locales will consist of cs, pt-BR, ru, sk, eu, hu,
ro, and tr. If I get a patch for ca until tomorrow, I'll add that.

Which is looking good so far.

Axel
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Axel Hecht
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
Ognyan Kulev wrote:
> Axel Hecht wrote:
>> All other locales have blockers which I will file tomorrow.
>
> What is the best case scenario (release date) for these other locales?

I don't have any good scenarios right now. I'm working on that, though I
can only do that as time permits. And the Klabautermann, which made the
respun l10n windows builds have the wrong build ID. Grrr.

Axel
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Damjan Georgievski
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
> The second bunch of locales will consist of cs, pt-BR, ru, sk, eu, hu,
> ro, tr, with ca if I get a patch for that until tomorrow.

What about mk?

--
damjan
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Axel Hecht
Damjan Georgievski wrote:
>> The second bunch of locales will consist of cs, pt-BR, ru, sk, eu, hu,
>> ro, tr, with ca if I get a patch for that until tomorrow.
>
> What about mk?
>

I'm puzzled about

general.useragent.contentlocale=\u041C\u041A

What does that do? I'd expect to see MK here. I'll need some source-code
verification and build QA.

Axel
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

didaio
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
How I can add ukrainian localisation for 1.5 release?

_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Yury Tarasievich
On 29 November 2005 13:23, [hidden email] wrote:
> How I can add ukrainian localisation for 1.5 release?

...and is adding *any* localisations to 1.5 at all possible?

-cheers

_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Axel Hecht
In reply to this post by didaio
Yury Tarasievich wrote:
> On 29 November 2005 13:23, [hidden email] wrote:
>> How I can add ukrainian localisation for 1.5 release?
>
> ...and is adding *any* localisations to 1.5 at all possible?

I hope to have more precise information on this soon. It involves some
brittle tree management cycles, which I'm not going to put up right now,
but in principle, I don't rule anything out.

For adding new localizations to Firefox in general, please visit
http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Home_Page.

The best process is to file a bug, give details about yourself and your
team, how far you are. Then we add that info to the wiki, and once
you're sufficiently far, we'll do a source review of your locale to see
if it can be included in the build. Following is a trademarks review, QA
process, yadda, yadda.

I know I need to write this down more formally, but where, we back in
the "I don't want to break stuff that sucks" cycle.

Axel
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Kostas Papadimas-2
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
O/H Axel Hecht έγραψε:

> Hi,
>
> tomorrow is the first chunk of releases, which will contain 20 locales,
> counting both en-US and ja-JP-mac. Sounds better than it is. Please do
> read the last paragraph, too.
>
> The locales that have SIM RELEASE in the "Notes" column on
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Firefox_1.5_release_candidate_Status will
> make the simultaneous release.
> Please ignore the other columns, nobody bothered to update those in a
> while, because wiki tables are dense to read on the one hand, but
> they're just painful to edit. Some of that information is kept in little
> composer-victims that we mail around internally.
>
> The second bunch of locales will consist of cs, pt-BR, ru, sk, eu, hu,
> ro, tr, with ca if I get a patch for that until tomorrow.
> The timeline for that bunch will be as late as next tuesday, a good week
> from now. I'm not convinced that that is a good one, but I'll have to
> lead a few more arguments with QA and Builds about this.
>
> All other locales have blockers which I will file tomorrow. Look at your
> trademarks files again. Non-localized central.html links in bookmarks
> are good candidates. ab.start.mozilla.org does not resolve, and will not.
>
> I do have my own comments on what happened and how, and some proposals.
> Some technical, some organizational, some political. I do expect that
> you will have a descent amount of comments, too. I will comment on those
> in the newsgroup to some extent, but more generally, collect them and
> put them forward in the Mozilla All-Hands, which is next week in
> Mountain View. I do expect that we will see some post-mortem analysis of
> the 1.5 release in general, and I'll do a general round up on that
> afterwards.
>
> GENERALLY: One important part of the release process is getting a
> reproducible source code for our builds. This is a requirement from our
> license, for one part.
> I'm using the following link (sanitize it, mail/news will likely bork it)
> http://bonsai-l10n.mozilla.org/cvsquery.cgi?treeid=default&module=all&branch=MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH&branchtype=match&dir=l10n&file=&filetype=match&who=&whotype=match&sortby=Date&hours=2&date=explicit&mindate=2005-11-9+00%3A00%3A00&maxdate=&cvsroot=%2Fl10n 
>
> to track which locales we can release. If you take a look at that, you
> will see that locking down the l10n repository did not work.
> Any check-in that goes into this tree is a threat to any other release,
> if we can't tag the tree for a release, we won't release anything.
> Localizers are definitly required to follow both their bugmail and posts
> in this newsgroup. If anything funny seems to happen to your repository,
> I NEED TO KNOW. Drop me a mail. Don't assume that you can just go there
> and play. I'm spending way too much time tracking things that I
> shouldn't. In short, NOTHING LANDS ON MOZILLA_1_8_BRANCH WITHOUT
> APPROVAL. Approvals are ALWAYS in bugs, bugs are always referenced in
> check in comments. Anybody looking at that query result above needs to
> be able to verify who landed what why, and who approved it.
>
> Ok, that was this part of the rant, I need to do a second per mail, still.
>
> I'll see what I can do about the second chunk of locales
>
> Axel


Hmmmm.. Why not el (Greek)??? AFAIK I've solved all the blockers more
than a week ago.
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Damjan Georgievski
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
>>> The second bunch of locales will consist of cs, pt-BR, ru, sk, eu, hu,
>>> ro, tr, with ca if I get a patch for that until tomorrow.
>>
>> What about mk?
>>
> I'm puzzled about
>
> general.useragent.contentlocale=\u041C\u041A
>
> What does that do? I'd expect to see MK here.

\u041C\u041A is MK but in cyrillic...
of course the problem is that it's not clear in the original how it is used
or how is it to be localized. Are you saying it must be in latin?...

[ahh... the promise of the gettext land..]

> I'll need some source-code verification and build QA.

ok... I've not seen any problems in months, since I'm only using the mk 1.5
from 1.5 beta1.


--
damjan
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Marek Stepien
Damjan Georgievski napisał(a):
> \u041C\u041A is MK but in cyrillic...
> of course the problem is that it's not clear in the original how it is used
> or how is it to be localized. Are you saying it must be in latin?...

It's the locale code, and locale codes are in the latin alphabet.

--
Marek Stepien <marcoos at aviary dot pl>
http://www.firefox.pl/
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Axel Hecht
Marek Stepien wrote:
> Damjan Georgievski napisał(a):
>> \u041C\u041A is MK but in cyrillic... of course the problem is that
>> it's not clear in the original how it is used
>> or how is it to be localized. Are you saying it must be in latin?...
>
> It's the locale code, and locale codes are in the latin alphabet.
>

Thanks, Marek.

Damjan, do you want me to file a bug or could you just file it yourself?
Attach a patch and request approval?

Thanks

Axel
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Axel Hecht
In reply to this post by Kostas Papadimas-2
Kostas Papadimas wrote:

<...>
>
>
> Hmmmm.. Why not el (Greek)??? AFAIK I've solved all the blockers more
> than a week ago.

Gandalf poked me about, too. It's in this morning's list now, just as is
ca and en-GB. Sorry for being confused.

Axel
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Ahmet Serkan Tıratacı-2
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
Axel Hecht yazmış:

> The second bunch of locales will consist of cs, pt-BR, ru, sk, eu, hu,
> ro, tr, with ca if I get a patch for that until tomorrow.

What's wrong with tr?

Thousands are waiting for simultaneous release.

Serkan

--
--------------------------------
Mozilla Türkiye
http://mozilla.org.tr
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status, pending locales

Axel Hecht
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
Here goes the list of blocking issues:

bg
bug 317776
fy-NL
needs to be switched on in the builds, not sure when. needs to update to nl searches
ga-IE
owner sign off
gu-IN
needs to actually land bug 316116, search plugins
hy-AM
no improvement on trademarks, bug 316121
lt
landed, but didn't have trademarks review yet. not building and bug 317776
mk
pending another fix in bookmarks, bug 316128
mn
search plugins not done, bug 316452 and bug 317776
nn-NO
update to nb-NO missing, at least. No feedback
pa-IN
trademarks bug not fixed, bug 315695
sq
trademarks bug not fixed, bug 316531
tr
bug 317776

_______________________________________________ mozilla-l10n mailing list [hidden email] http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status

Damjan Georgievski
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
>>> \u041C\u041A is MK but in cyrillic... of course the problem is that
>>> it's not clear in the original how it is used
>>> or how is it to be localized. Are you saying it must be in latin?...
>>
>> It's the locale code, and locale codes are in the latin alphabet.
>
> Damjan, do you want me to file a bug or could you just file it yourself?
> Attach a patch and request approval?

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=318288

--
damjan
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status, pending locales

Brian King-2
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
Axel Hecht wrote:
> Here goes the list of blocking issues:
>  ...
> ga-IE
> owner sign off

This was done yesterday at:
http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Firefox_1.5_release_candidate_Status

Anything else holding up the Irish build?

--
Brian King
www.mozdev.org - free project hosting for the Mozilla community
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: release status, pending locales

Axel Hecht
In reply to this post by Axel Hecht
Brian King wrote:

> Axel Hecht wrote:
>> Here goes the list of blocking issues:
>>  ...
>> ga-IE
>>     owner sign off
>
> This was done yesterday at:
> http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Firefox_1.5_release_candidate_Status
>
> Anything else holding up the Irish build?
>

Well, Mozilla QA and build engineering. Please sign off on
http://wiki.mozilla.org/L10n:Firefox_1.5_Status, I'm not actually
tracking anything but the first and the last column on the
release_candidate one. (It started off with wrong infos and I never got
around to fix it, having another page for that.)

Axel
_______________________________________________
mozilla-l10n mailing list
[hidden email]
http://mail.mozilla.org/listinfo/mozilla-l10n
12