rebuild mozilla

Tao Zhang
Hi, all

I just started playing with mozilla. I can build it now. But I found a new
build always takes a lot of time to finish, even I didn't touch anything of
the source tree. For example, I simply build again after one successful
build.

In that way, even if I only make small changes, it would take a long time to
build before I can see the changes? I guess there are better ways. Could
anyone help?

I am currently using the default build command shown on mozilla website:
make -f client.mk build .

Thanks so much

Tao

Re: rebuild mozilla

Andrew Schultz-2
Tao Zhang wrote:

> Hi, all
>
> I just started playing with mozilla. I can build it now. But I found a new
> build always takes a lot of time to finish, even I didn't touch anything of
> the source tree. For example, I simply build again after one successful
> build.
>
> In that way, even if I only make small changes, it would take a long time to
> build before I can see the changes? I guess there are better ways. Could
> anyone help?

It's often possible to rebuild only a part of the source tree, but how
you do that and how much of the source tree depends on what you modify.
If you just do "make" in the directory where you made changes, it will
recompile the files you modified, but you might have to go to a parent
directory (or two or three) to get it to relink the shared library the
file is included in.  For chrome, you just need to run "make chrome"
from the parent directory with a jar.mn.

If you modify a .h (or .idl) file, things get more interesting,
especially if it is "exported" to dist/include/.  Then you need to
rebuild everything that included that file, which might be a lot.

That's the Reader's Digest version.  Experiment and see what you can get
away with.

--
Andrew Schultz
[hidden email]