"label" and "tooltiptext" attributes for image-only toolbarbutton

"label" and "tooltiptext" attributes for image-only toolbarbutton

STF-7
        I'm quite confused on the "label" and "tooltiptext" attributes for
toolbarbutton.

        You see, toolbarbutton has both "label" and "tooltiptext" attributes.
When toolbarbutton is only an image, is there any subtle difference
between  "label" and "tooltiptext" attributes?  Do I have to define both
in case the tool-tip text is dynamically changed?

        Thanks

Re: "label" and "tooltiptext" attributes for image-only toolbarbutton

Neil-4
STF wrote:

> I'm quite confused on the "label" and "tooltiptext" attributes for
> toolbarbutton.
>
> You see, toolbarbutton has both "label" and "tooltiptext" attributes.
> When toolbarbutton is only an image, is there any subtle difference
> between  "label" and "tooltiptext" attributes?  Do I have to define
> both in case the tool-tip text is dynamically changed?

Depending on the toolbar it's possible for it to display the label as
well as or instead of the image. In that case you would want the label
to identify the button without being too long. If you need to provide
more information to remind the user what the button does then a tooltip
could be useful here.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

On 2013.05.15 21:51, Neil wrote:

> STF wrote:
>
>> I'm quite confused on the "label" and "tooltiptext" attributes for
>> toolbarbutton.
>>
>> You see, toolbarbutton has both "label" and "tooltiptext" attributes.
>> When toolbarbutton is only an image, is there any subtle difference
>> between  "label" and "tooltiptext" attributes?  Do I have to define
>> both in case the tool-tip text is dynamically changed?
>
> Depending on the toolbar it's possible for it to display the label as
> well as or instead of the image. In that case you would want the label
> to identify the button without being too long. If you need to provide
> more information to remind the user what the button does then a tooltip
> could be useful here.

Hi Neil,

You said "depending on the toolbar".  In my mind, I was only thinking
about the Navigation Toolbar.  So what other toolbars or type of
toolbars do we have?

When I was typing my previous question, I was actually thinking about a
button like the "Home" button in FF (ver. 20 as of today) -- it is a
button, containing an image (icon), no text, but when we move the mouse
on it, a tool-tip text is displayed.

STF wrote:

> You said "depending on the toolbar".  In my mind, I was only thinking
> about the Navigation Toolbar.  So what other toolbars or type of
> toolbars do we have?

Last time I looked, you could customise the toolbar or even add your own
toolbar.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.