"Watching" topics on Usenet w/ Thunderbird?

"Watching" topics on Usenet w/ Thunderbird?

A_SN
I'm new to Thunderbird and to newsgroup readers in general and I was
wondering is there any way to track/watch topics in which you posted or
even better to be notified of only replies to your posts?

Re: "Watching" topics on Usenet w/ Thunderbird?

Lewis Rosenthal
On 12/08/2005 09:15 pm, CFran thus wrote :
> I'm new to Thunderbird and to newsgroup readers in general and I was
> wondering is there any way to track/watch topics in which you posted or
> even better to be notified of only replies to your posts?

You may manually mark a thread for watching by pressing "w" while
viewing the thread. In addition, you may set up a message filter which
watches threads to which you have replied:

Tools | Message Filters | New (to add a filter)

Give it a name, such as "Auto-watch replied-to threads"

For incoming messages that: (poor wording; time to open a bug, I 'spose)
Sender contains [your address]

Perform these actions:
Watch thread

Save the filter.

Then, you may select from the View menu to view watched threads with
unread messages and then switch back to all threads to see what's new
(or old, as the case may be).

HTH

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLE

Lewis Rosenthal wrote:

> On 12/08/2005 09:15 pm, CFran thus wrote :
> > I'm new to Thunderbird and to newsgroup readers in general and I was
> > wondering is there any way to track/watch topics in which you posted or
> > even better to be notified of only replies to your posts?
> >
> You may manually mark a thread for watching by pressing "w" while
> viewing the thread. In addition, you may set up a message filter which
> watches threads to which you have replied:
>
> Tools | Message Filters | New (to add a filter)
>
> Give it a name, such as "Auto-watch replied-to threads"
>
> For incoming messages that: (poor wording; time to open a bug, I 'spose)
> Sender contains [your address]
>
> Perform these actions:
> Watch thread
>
> Save the filter.
>
> Then, you may select from the View menu to view watched threads with
> unread messages and then switch back to all threads to see what's new
> (or old, as the case may be).

OK, thanks alot. Unfortunatly it won't work for groups i didn't
subscribe too, which makes i'll still have to search Google Groups with
author:my_email_adress to find them

On 12/09/2005 02:31 pm, CFran thus wrote :

> Lewis Rosenthal wrote:
>> On 12/08/2005 09:15 pm, CFran thus wrote :
>>> I'm new to Thunderbird and to newsgroup readers in general and I was
>>> wondering is there any way to track/watch topics in which you posted or
>>> even better to be notified of only replies to your posts?
>>>
>> You may manually mark a thread for watching by pressing "w" while
>> viewing the thread. In addition, you may set up a message filter which
>> watches threads to which you have replied:
>>
>> Tools | Message Filters | New (to add a filter)
>>
>> Give it a name, such as "Auto-watch replied-to threads"
>>
>> For incoming messages that: (poor wording; time to open a bug, I 'spose)
>> Sender contains [your address]
>>
>> Perform these actions:
>> Watch thread
>>
>> Save the filter.
>>
>> Then, you may select from the View menu to view watched threads with
>> unread messages and then switch back to all threads to see what's new
>> (or old, as the case may be).
>
> OK, thanks alot. Unfortunatly it won't work for groups i didn't
> subscribe too, which makes i'll still have to search Google Groups with
> author:my_email_adress to find them

You're welcome, and of course, you're correct. BTW, I opened a bug about
the poor grammar, and guess what? It's been changed on trunk. ;-)

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE