"Unresponvie plugin" error with NPAPI plugins

"Unresponvie plugin" error with NPAPI plugins

girish601
Hi All,

       We have developed NPAPI based plugin in firefox.
       We are using "addon-sdk-1.14" and currently it is working properly with
       latest Firefox ver 28.

       But as all the calls are Synchronous calls, firefox throws a message stating "Unresponsive plugin".

       Can anybody suggest any solution/alternative, for above scenarios.

       As chrome has already restricted npapi plugins, going ahead, will firefox
       also follow suit. In that case, what is other alternative ?

With Rgds
Girish

Re: "Unresponvie plugin" error with NPAPI plugins

Georg Fritzsche-3
On 17 Apr 2014, at 09:02, [hidden email] wrote:

>       We have developed NPAPI based plugin in firefox.
>       We are using "addon-sdk-1.14" and currently it is working properly with
>       latest Firefox ver 28.

All you should need is the NPAPI SDK:
https://code.google.com/p/npapi-sdk/

>       But as all the calls are Synchronous calls, firefox throws a message stating "Unresponsive plugin".
>
>       Can anybody suggest any solution/alternative, for above scenarios.

The only general (and recommended) solution is to make the calls asynchronous.
Every plugin call that needs to do some processing or has to wait on something should be asynchronous
and notify the JS when it’s done.

This could be solved either via event listeners:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/11727624/how-to-implement-callback-function-in-npapi-plugin
… or by taking an additional “callback” parameter on which you invoke the default function:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/NPN_InvokeDefault

>       As chrome has already restricted npapi plugins, going ahead, will firefox
>       also follow suit. In that case, what is other alternative ?

Firefox will make plugins click-to-play by default soon (currently planned for Firefox 31) [1] [2].
What do you want to do?
The alternatives really depends on that - there might already be a suitable WebAPI or one is being
considered.

Georg

[1] https://blog.mozilla.org/security/2014/02/28/update-on-plugin-activation/
[2] https://blog.mozilla.org/futurereleases/2013/09/24/plugin-activation-in-firefox/

Re: "Unresponvie plugin" error with NPAPI plugins

girish601
Thanks for your response.
It's seems that js-ctypes is better option looking ahead.