"Find" bar in SM Browser

W3BNR

Anyone besides me wanting an option in "View/Show-Hide" to have the "Find" bar
"ON or OFF"?  When browsing I like the option to 'find' in a page.  The bar
doesn't take up much room and I'd like to be able to have it available all the time.

--
ED, W3BNR
http://JonesFarm.us/W3BNR

"The smallest feline is a masterpiece."  —Leonardo da Vinci

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what W3BNR graced us with on 8/2/2012
4:38 AM:
> Anyone besides me wanting an option in "View/Show-Hide" to have the "Find" bar
> "ON or OFF"?  When browsing I like the option to 'find' in a page.  The bar
> doesn't take up much room and I'd like to be able to have it available all the time.

I've never found the need since I have "Options>General>Search for text
when I start typing" checked.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on 8/2/2012
9:44 AM:

> My bloviated meandering follows what W3BNR graced us with on 8/2/2012
> 4:38 AM:
>> Anyone besides me wanting an option in "View/Show-Hide" to have the
>> "Find" bar
>> "ON or OFF"?  When browsing I like the option to 'find' in a page.
>> The bar
>> doesn't take up much room and I'd like to be able to have it available
>> all the time.
>>
> I've never found the need since I have "Options>General>Search for text
> when I start typing" checked.

Opps! In SM I have "Preferences>Advanced>Find As You Type>Find
automatically when typing within a web page:" checked.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

W3BNR
On 8/2/2012 9:45 PM Sailfish submitted the following:

> My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on 8/2/2012 9:44 AM:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what W3BNR graced us with on 8/2/2012 4:38 AM:
>>> Anyone besides me wanting an option in "View/Show-Hide" to have the "Find" bar
>>> "ON or OFF"?  When browsing I like the option to 'find' in a page.  The bar
>>> doesn't take up much room and I'd like to be able to have it available all
>>> the time.
>>>
>> I've never found the need since I have "Options>General>Search for text when I
>> start typing" checked.
>>
> Opps! In SM I have "Preferences>Advanced>Find As You Type>Find automatically
> when typing within a web page:" checked.

Yes, that will sort of work.  But if I don't type something into the 'QuickFind'
box withing about 2-3 seconds it disappears.  Not exactly what I want.  My mind
and fingers don't quite work that fast (nearly 80 yrs old).

--
Ed
http://JonesFarm.us/W3BNR
Powered by SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Work smarter, not harder.

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what W3BNR graced us with on 8/3/2012
3:36 AM:

> On 8/2/2012 9:45 PM Sailfish submitted the following:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on 8/2/2012 9:44 AM:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what W3BNR graced us with on 8/2/2012 4:38 AM:
>>>>
>>> I've never found the need since I have "Options>General>Search for text when I
>>> start typing" checked.
>>>
>> Opps! In SM I have "Preferences>Advanced>Find As You Type>Find automatically
>> when typing within a web page:" checked.
>
> Yes, that will sort of work.  But if I don't type something into the 'QuickFind'
> box withing about 2-3 seconds it disappears.  Not exactly what I want.  My mind
> and fingers don't quite work that fast (nearly 80 yrs old).

Using Ctrl+F instead should leave the search on page bar open until you
decide to close it.

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

W3BNR
On 8/3/2012 6:46 AM Sailfish submitted the following:

> My bloviated meandering follows what W3BNR graced us with on 8/3/2012 3:36 AM:
>> On 8/2/2012 9:45 PM Sailfish submitted the following:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what Sailfish graced us with on 8/2/2012 9:44
>>> AM:

>>> Opps! In SM I have "Preferences>Advanced>Find As You Type>Find automatically
>>> when typing within a web page:" checked.
>>
>> Yes, that will sort of work.  But if I don't type something into the 'QuickFind'
>> box withing about 2-3 seconds it disappears.  Not exactly what I want.  My mind
>> and fingers don't quite work that fast (nearly 80 yrs old).
>>
> Using Ctrl+F instead should leave the search on page bar open until you decide
> to close it.

Yes, it does.  Why didn't I think of that?  I was using the '/' Find text as you
type and that disappears.  Thanks.

--
Ed
http://JonesFarm.us/W3BNR
Powered by SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

Advice is a dangerous gift; be cautious about giving and receiving it.

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

Sailfish-2
My bloviated meandering follows what W3BNR graced us with on 8/3/2012
12:05 PM:

> On 8/3/2012 6:46 AM Sailfish submitted the following:
>> My bloviated meandering follows what W3BNR graced us with on 8/3/2012 3:36 AM:
>>> On 8/2/2012 9:45 PM Sailfish submitted the following:

>>> Yes, that will sort of work.  But if I don't type something into the 'QuickFind'
>>> box withing about 2-3 seconds it disappears.  Not exactly what I want.  My mind
>>> and fingers don't quite work that fast (nearly 80 yrs old).
>>>
>> Using Ctrl+F instead should leave the search on page bar open until you decide
>> to close it.
>
> Yes, it does.  Why didn't I think of that?  I was using the '/' Find text as you
> type and that disappears.  Thanks.

Cheers!

--
Sailfish - Netscape Champion
Rare Mozilla Stuff: https://www.projectit.com/

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

»Q«
On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 15:05:18 -0400
W3BNR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/3/2012 6:46 AM Sailfish submitted the following:
> > My bloviated meandering follows what W3BNR graced us with on
> > 8/3/2012 3:36 AM:
> >> On 8/2/2012 9:45 PM Sailfish submitted the following:

> >> Yes, that will sort of work.  But if I don't type something into
> >> the 'QuickFind' box withing about 2-3 seconds it disappears.  Not
> >> exactly what I want.  My mind and fingers don't quite work that
> >> fast (nearly 80 yrs old).
> >>
> > Using Ctrl+F instead should leave the search on page bar open until
> > you decide to close it.
>
> Yes, it does.  Why didn't I think of that?  I was using the '/' Find
> text as you type and that disappears.  Thanks.

You could also set accessibility.typeaheadfind.enabletimeout to false
in about:config or change the value of
accessibility.typeaheadfind.timeout .

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

W3BNR
On 8/4/2012 10:20 AM »Q« submitted the following:

> On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 15:05:18 -0400
> W3BNR <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 8/3/2012 6:46 AM Sailfish submitted the following:
>>> My bloviated meandering follows what W3BNR graced us with on
>>> 8/3/2012 3:36 AM:

>>> Using Ctrl+F instead should leave the search on page bar open until
>>> you decide to close it.
>>
>> Yes, it does.  Why didn't I think of that?  I was using the '/' Find
>> text as you type and that disappears.  Thanks.
>
> You could also set accessibility.typeaheadfind.enabletimeout to false
> in about:config or change the value of
> accessibility.typeaheadfind.timeout .

Thanks - information duly noted and saved for future reference.
Is there a listing somewhere of config entries that are explained?
I know that the software developers don't want you to do much playing with the
configuration stuff (except via the .js files) but sometimes it helps to change
things that can't be changed in the preference box.

--
Ed, W3BNR
http://JonesFarm.us/W3BNR
Powered by SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

"Totalitarianism is patriotism institutionalized."
                          -Steve Allen (1921-2000)

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

»Q«
On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 11:40:12 -0400
W3BNR <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/4/2012 10:20 AM »Q« submitted the following:
> > On Fri, 03 Aug 2012 15:05:18 -0400
> > W3BNR <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> On 8/3/2012 6:46 AM Sailfish submitted the following:

> >> Yes, it does.  Why didn't I think of that?  I was using the '/'
> >> Find text as you type and that disappears.  Thanks.
> >
> > You could also set accessibility.typeaheadfind.enabletimeout to
> > false in about:config or change the value of
> > accessibility.typeaheadfind.timeout .
>
> Thanks - information duly noted and saved for future reference.
> Is there a listing somewhere of config entries that are explained?
> I know that the software developers don't want you to do much playing
> with the configuration stuff (except via the .js files) but sometimes
> it helps to change things that can't be changed in the preference box.

AFAIK, MozillaZine is still the only place that tries to document many
of them,
<http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_About:config_Entries>.  I
don't know how up-to-date anything is at MZ, so be careful using
anything from there.

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

W3BNR
On 8/4/2012 11:58 AM »Q« submitted the following:

> On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 11:40:12 -0400
> W3BNR <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 8/4/2012 10:20 AM »Q« submitted the following:

>>> You could also set accessibility.typeaheadfind.enabletimeout to
>>> false in about:config or change the value of
>>> accessibility.typeaheadfind.timeout .
>>
>> Thanks - information duly noted and saved for future reference.
>> Is there a listing somewhere of config entries that are explained?
>> I know that the software developers don't want you to do much playing
>> with the configuration stuff (except via the .js files) but sometimes
>> it helps to change things that can't be changed in the preference box.
>
> AFAIK, MozillaZine is still the only place that tries to document many
> of them,
> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_About:config_Entries>.  I
> don't know how up-to-date anything is at MZ, so be careful using
> anything from there.

More up-to-date than http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html
which hasn't been updated since 10/24/2006.  :-(

--
Ed, W3BNR
http://JonesFarm.us/W3BNR
Powered by SeaMonkey: http://www.seamonkey-project.org/

How is it one careless match can start a forest fire,
but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

Daniel-257
W3BNR wrote:

> On 8/4/2012 11:58 AM »Q« submitted the following:
>> On Sat, 04 Aug 2012 11:40:12 -0400
>> W3BNR <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> On 8/4/2012 10:20 AM »Q« submitted the following:

>>> Thanks - information duly noted and saved for future reference.
>>> Is there a listing somewhere of config entries that are explained?
>>> I know that the software developers don't want you to do much playing
>>> with the configuration stuff (except via the .js files) but sometimes
>>> it helps to change things that can't be changed in the preference box.
>>
>> AFAIK, MozillaZine is still the only place that tries to document many
>> of them,
>> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_About:config_Entries>.  I
>> don't know how up-to-date anything is at MZ, so be careful using
>> anything from there.
>>

> More up-to-date than http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html
> which hasn't been updated since 10/24/2006.  :-(

How about http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries . This page was
last modified 16:46, 16 April 2012.

--
Daniel

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

»Q«
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 19:46:12 +1000
Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> W3BNR wrote:
> > On 8/4/2012 11:58 AM »Q« submitted the following:

> >> AFAIK, MozillaZine is still the only place that tries to document
> >> many of them,
> >> <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Firefox_:_FAQs_:_About:config_Entries>.
> >> I don't know how up-to-date anything is at MZ, so be careful using
> >> anything from there.
> >>

> > More up-to-date than http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html
> > which hasn't been updated since 10/24/2006.  :-(
>
> How about http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries . This page
> was last modified 16:46, 16 April 2012.

It's a wiki, so the last modification to any page there could be a
little spelling correction or a major overhaul of the whole page.  It
does look like the info is much better than it was a year or two ago,
overall.  But it was bad enough that I still hesitate to recommend it,
since I don't know if they've caught everything that was wrong.

Messing with about:config voids the warranty anyway, so if
anything breaks you get to keep the pieces.  Profile backups are your
friends.

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

David Boles-2
On 8/5/2012 1:48 PM, »Q« wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 19:46:12 +1000
> Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> W3BNR wrote:
>>> On 8/4/2012 11:58 AM »Q« submitted the following:

>>> More up-to-date than http://preferential.mozdev.org/preferences.html
>>> which hasn't been updated since 10/24/2006.  :-(
>>
>> How about http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries . This page
>> was last modified 16:46, 16 April 2012.
>
> It's a wiki, so the last modification to any page there could be a
> little spelling correction or a major overhaul of the whole page.  It
> does look like the info is much better than it was a year or two ago,
> overall.  But it was bad enough that I still hesitate to recommend it,
> since I don't know if they've caught everything that was wrong.
>
> Messing with about:config voids the warranty anyway, so if
> anything breaks you get to keep the pieces.  Profile backups are your
> friends.

I have yet to see anything that can be done to about:config that could
not be undone.

--

  David

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

»Q«
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 15:05:57 -0400
David <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/5/2012 1:48 PM, »Q« wrote:
> > On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 19:46:12 +1000
> > Daniel <[hidden email]> wrote:

> >> How about http://kb.mozillazine.org/About:config_entries . This
> >> page was last modified 16:46, 16 April 2012.
> >
> > It's a wiki, so the last modification to any page there could be a
> > little spelling correction or a major overhaul of the whole page.
> > It does look like the info is much better than it was a year or two
> > ago, overall.  But it was bad enough that I still hesitate to
> > recommend it, since I don't know if they've caught everything that
> > was wrong.
> >
> > Messing with about:config voids the warranty anyway, so if
> > anything breaks you get to keep the pieces.  Profile backups are
> > your friends.
>
> I have yet to see anything that can be done to about:config that could
> not be undone.

In the worst cases, they can at least be undone by editing prefs.js.
But people can and do change things in about:config without noting what
they've changed, which makes them difficult to change back.

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

David Boles-2
On 8/5/2012 3:14 PM, »Q« wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 15:05:57 -0400
> David <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 8/5/2012 1:48 PM, »Q« wrote:

>>> It's a wiki, so the last modification to any page there could be a
>>> little spelling correction or a major overhaul of the whole page.
>>> It does look like the info is much better than it was a year or two
>>> ago, overall.  But it was bad enough that I still hesitate to
>>> recommend it, since I don't know if they've caught everything that
>>> was wrong.
>>>
>>> Messing with about:config voids the warranty anyway, so if
>>> anything breaks you get to keep the pieces.  Profile backups are
>>> your friends.
>>
>> I have yet to see anything that can be done to about:config that could
>> not be undone.
>
> In the worst cases, they can at least be undone by editing prefs.js.
> But people can and do change things in about:config without noting what
> they've changed, which makes them difficult to change back.

Any changes made in about:config from within Firefox can be undone in
about:config from within Firefox in the same way. No need to manually
edit prefs.js.

--

  David

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

»Q«
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 15:45:49 -0400
David <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Any changes made in about:config from within Firefox can be undone in
> about:config from within Firefox in the same way. No need to manually
> edit prefs.js.

That assumes you can start Firefox using that profile.

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

David Boles-2
On 8/5/2012 10:26 PM, »Q« wrote:
> On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 15:45:49 -0400
> David <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Any changes made in about:config from within Firefox can be undone in
>> about:config from within Firefox in the same way. No need to manually
>> edit prefs.js.
>
> That assumes you can start Firefox using that profile.

Now you are picking nits. *AND* you are now spreading *SERIOUS FUD*.

You do know what FUD is?

--

  David

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

»Q«
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 22:40:59 -0400
David <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 8/5/2012 10:26 PM, »Q« wrote:
> > On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 15:45:49 -0400
> > David <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >
> >> Any changes made in about:config from within Firefox can be undone
> >> in about:config from within Firefox in the same way. No need to
> >> manually edit prefs.js.
> >
> > That assumes you can start Firefox using that profile.
>
> Now you are picking nits. *AND* you are now spreading *SERIOUS FUD*.

I'm doing neither.  Your reaction is ridiculous.

> You do know what FUD is?

Have you ever seen anybody scream "FUD" when there isn't any in sight?

Re: "Find" bar in SM Browser

David Boles-2
On 8/5/2012 10:46 PM, »Q« wrote:

> On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 22:40:59 -0400
> David <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> On 8/5/2012 10:26 PM, »Q« wrote:

>>> That assumes you can start Firefox using that profile.
>>
>> Now you are picking nits. *AND* you are now spreading *SERIOUS FUD*.
>
> I'm doing neither.  Your reaction is ridiculous.
>
>> You do know what FUD is?
>
> Have you ever seen anybody scream "FUD" when there isn't any in sight?

As politely as I can say this?

Nothing that I know of that you, on anyone else, can change in
about:config will make Firefox *NOT START*. In *THIS* profile? Or *THAT*
profile? Or *WHATEVER* profile?  Period. Is just that FUD. And or CRAP

Your 'impending disaster' comment is just that.  Fud. Or crap. Or false
or 'I don''t have any idea about what I say but I like to run my mouth.
Or. Pick one of the above.

Have a great evening.
--

  David