puzzling junk mail

Brian-2
I'm baffled by the increasing amounts of e-mails I'm receiving which
are requests for a quotation on computer equipment, sent to my 'real'
address, not this one which I use for mailing lists. I've never traded
in computer hardware, and my address is even a .org domain, as you can
see.

Can anybody explain to me what the junk mail is trying to achieve? Is
it just some sort of check to see whether my address bounces? WHY?

The latest example is appended to this message.

Thanks,

Brian.

> ATTN: Sales Dept,
>
> We urgently need a price quotation for the below items:
>
> Seagate Backup Plus Portable External Hard Drive 4TB USB 3.0, Black + 2mo Adobe CC Photography (STDR4000100). QTY: 300
>
> HP ProBook 450 G5 15.6" LCD Notebook - Intel Core i7 (8th Gen) i7-8550U Quad-core (4 Core) 1.80 GHz - 8 GB DDR4 SDRAM - 256 GB SSD - Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. VPN: 2ST03UT#ABA. QTY: 70
>
> Crucial 16GB Single DDR4 2400 MT/s (PC4-19200) DR x8 SODIMM 260-Pin Memory - CT16G4SFD824A. QTY: 600
>
> Samsung 970 EVO NVMe Series 1TB M.2 PCI-Express 3.0 x 4 Solid State Drive
> (V-NAND) Model number # MZ-V7E1T0E. QTY: 600
>
> Intel Core i7-8700K Coffee Lake 6-Core 3.7 GHz (4.7 GHz Turbo) LGA 1151 (300 Series) 95W BX80684I78700K Desktop Processor Intel UHD Graphics 630. QTY: 100
>
> Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Carbon (6th Gen) 8th Generation Intelยฎ Coreโ„ข i7-8650U 14" FHD (1920 x 1080) Memory 16GB. 512GB SSD. Model 20KG0022US. QTY: 30
>
> All quoted items must be original OEM products and kindly state availability of the products specified.
>
> Feel free to contact me should you require any further information.

<Contact details removed, just in case the point of the message is to
fill somebody's inbox - but if it is, there are a LOT of people out
there with a grudge!>

Re: puzzling junk mail

๐Ÿ˜‰ Good Guy ๐Ÿ˜‰
You might have subscribed to some lists and their server was either
hacked or they decided to sell your info to 3rd party.  I would just
ignore them and don't even reply to them.  Create a filter that can
delete these messages automatically.  You don't want to open them either
as by opening them, the images will load (if any) or some scripts will
alert them that you were curious reading their message so they will send
you even more.

Just ignore them and that's it.  If you are running a website of some
sort then don't put your email on it and instead use a form for people
to contact you.

Hope this helps.

--
With over 950 million devices now running Windows 10, customer

Re: puzzling junk mail

Brian-2
On 2/5/19 3:28 PM, ๐Ÿ˜‰ Good Guy ๐Ÿ˜‰ wrote:
> You might have subscribed to some lists and their server was either
> hacked or they decided to sell your info to 3rd party.

OK, then in that case they've guessed to change the first part of the
address from b_lists to brian. Not difficult to guess (it's not meant
to be!) but not something I would expect that they could automate.

> I would just
> ignore them and don't even reply to them.

oh, no way do I reply to them. I was just puzzled as to what they were
trying to achieve, that's all.

> Create a filter that can
> delete these messages automatically.

Yeah, probably 'price quotation' in the body of a low-priority filter
would get them.

>ย  You don't want to open them
> either as by opening them, the images will load (if any) or some
> scripts will alert them that you were curious reading their message so
> they will send you even more.

I have remote content disabled by default, which I believe puts paid
to the message pixels or the scripts. All I'm seeing is what comes up
in the message pane when I step through new messages.

> Just ignore them and that's it.

I'm not doing anything with them. I was just puzzled as to what the
senders were trying to achieve.

> If you are running a website of some
> sort then don't put your email on it and instead use a form for people
> to contact you.

We have a website of sorts, but once again, the contact details on
that are to a totally different address. This message came in to the
address I use for day-to-day communication.

> Hope this helps.

Thanks for the effort, but I'm afraid not really. I know how to deal
with the junk mail - I was just wondering if anybody understood what
it is that the spammers are trying to achieve. I suppose that message
pixels embedded in the mail are a possibility.

Brian.

Re: puzzling junk mail

Wolf K.
On 2019-02-05 15:13, Brian wrote:
> I'm baffled by the increasing amounts of e-mails I'm receiving which
> are requests for a quotation on computer equipment, sent to my 'real'
> address, not this one which I use for mailing lists. I've never traded
> in computer hardware, and my address is even a .org domain, as you can
> see.
>
> Can anybody explain to me what the junk mail is trying to achieve? Is
> it just some sort of check to see whether my address bounces? WHY?

They want you to click on the Contact link. Don't do it. IMO, the most
likely effect will be dumping some malware onto your computer.

If you really want to what the Contact link is/does, do a "Save As", and
select "text" as the file type. You can then open it in a text editor
such as Notepad, and find out what's in there without triggering
malware, or feedback to the source, or etc.

> The latest example is appended to this message.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian.
[...]

It's likely that your email has been scraped from one or more of your
correspondents (including any on-line vendor that wanted your email),
and then sold (along with thousands of others).

For each such message, right click on the header, then Mark As Junk.
Check your Junk folder every day or so to see whether legit mail has
landed there, if so Mark that as Not Junk.

FWIW, I have an email for online use only. I don't sub to mailing lists,
if I did, I'd set up another address for that.

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: puzzling junk mail

๐Ÿ˜‰ Good Guy ๐Ÿ˜‰
On 05/02/2019 20:51, Brian wrote:

> We have a website of sorts, but once again, the contact details on
> that are to a totally different address. This message came in to the
> address I use for day-to-day communication.

If it for day to day use then the eMail account of your friends or
relatives was hacked and they managed to steal info of everybody in that
eMail account.  Did you check if other people in your circle is
receiving these eMails?

I have got friends who would subscribe me using my eMail to all the
newsletters they think is good and spam starts to flood in so now I have
decided to create special eMails such as@

[hidden email]

now when I communicate with that friend, I use this special eMail and so
if it is hacked or he/she misuses it then I know who the culprit is.

You could put numbers instead of friendsName but always make a note who
that number is assigned to.

On 2/5/19 3:57 PM, Wolf K wrote:

> On 2019-02-05 15:13, Brian wrote:
>> I'm baffled by the increasing amounts of e-mails I'm receiving which
>> are requests for a quotation on computer equipment, sent to my 'real'
>> address, not this one which I use for mailing lists. I've never traded
>> in computer hardware, and my address is even a .org domain, as you can
>> see.
>>
>> Can anybody explain to me what the junk mail is trying to achieve? Is
>> it just some sort of check to see whether my address bounces? WHY?
>
> They want you to click on the Contact link. Don't do it. IMO, the most
> likely effect will be dumping some malware onto your computer.

I checked the raw message, there is no contact link, just an e-mail
address and phone number. If they'd been trying to get me to click on
a link, then I would understand it, but there's nothing, just that
e-mail and phone number for contact.

> If you really want to what the Contact link is/does, do a "Save As",
> and select "text" as the file type. You can then open it in a text
> editor such as Notepad, and find out what's in there without
> triggering malware, or feedback to the source, or etc.

See above! :)

>> The latest example is appended to this message.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brian.
> [...]
>
> It's likely that your email has been scraped from one or more of your
> correspondents (including any on-line vendor that wanted your email),
> and then sold (along with thousands of others).

As you may remember from our e-mail exchange of a few days ago, I have
my own way of finding which vendors sell my e-mail address. :)

> For each such message, right click on the header, then Mark As Junk.
> Check your Junk folder every day or so to see whether legit mail has
> landed there, if so Mark that as Not Junk.

I know how to deal with it, I was just curious as to what they're
trying to achieve. Unless it's to pester the person they gave as a
contact, I simply don't understand WHY.

> FWIW, I have an email for online use only. I don't sub to mailing
> lists, if I did, I'd set up another address for that.

May I draw your attention to the first part of my address? :) Part of
the advantage of having my own domain is that I have an unlimited
number of e-mail addresses to use, they're reduced to a few mailboxes
by forwarding recipes on my mail server.

Again, for the sake of clarity, I'm *NOT* asking how to deal with the
junk, I'm just curious because I don't understand what it is that
they're trying to achieve. Pure ASCII e-mail, no links, no remote
content.

Brian.

Re: puzzling junk mail

Brian-2
On 2/5/19 4:00 PM, ๐Ÿ˜‰ Good Guy ๐Ÿ˜‰ wrote:

> On 05/02/2019 20:51, Brian wrote:
>>
>> We have a website of sorts, but once again, the contact details on
>> that are to a totally different address. This message came in to the
>> address I use for day-to-day communication.
>>

> If it for day to day use then the eMail account of your friends or
> relatives was hacked and they managed to steal info of everybody in
> that eMail account.ย  Did you check if other people in your circle is
> receiving these eMails?

OK, that could certainly explain how they got the address. The idea of
asking everyone in my address book whether they get the same e-mails?
No, I don't think I'm quite THAT curious! :)

> I have got friends who would subscribe me using my eMail to all the
> newsletters they think is good and spam starts to flood in so now I
> have decided to create special eMails such as@
>
> [hidden email]
>
> now when I communicate with that friend, I use this special eMail and
> so if it is hacked or he/she misuses it then I know who the culprit is.
>
> You could put numbers instead of friendsName but always make a note
> who that number is assigned to.

That's the same trick that I use with vendors. The idea of using it
for individuals hadn't occurred to me. It's probably too late now.

Brian.

Re: puzzling junk mail

Wolf K.
On 2019-02-05 16:26, Brian wrote:
[...]
> Again, for the sake of clarity, I'm*NOT*  asking how to deal with the
> junk, I'm just curious because I don't understand what it is that
> they're trying to achieve. Pure ASCII e-mail, no links, no remote
> content.
>
> Brian.

OK, sorry for misunderstanding.

FWIW, I occasionally get spam from legit addresses, it looks like
someone has scraped the sender's address and is using it for whatever
purpose(s) they want. Which, as you say, is not always obvious.... :-)

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com
It's called an "opinion" because it's not a fact.

Re: puzzling junk mail

EnDeeGee
On 05-Feb-2019 15:13, Brian wrote:
> snip

> Can anybody explain to me what the junk mail is trying to achieve?

Only the spammer knows.

  >is it just some sort of check to see whether my address bounces?

Probably

  WHY?

Again only the spammer knows,  you will have to ask her/him about that. :-)

> another snip

So just junk/delete the crap and move on.

Re: puzzling junk mail

Brian-2
On 2/5/19 5:16 PM, EnDeeGee wrote:

> On 05-Feb-2019 15:13, Brian wrote:
>> snip
>
>> Can anybody explain to me what the junk mail is trying to achieve?
>
> Only the spammer knows.
>
> ย >is it just some sort of check to see whether my address bounces?
>
> Probably
>
> ย WHY?
>
> Again only the spammer knows,ย  you will have to ask her/him about
> that. :-)
>
>> another snip
>
> So just junk/delete the crap and move on.

I made a career out of being curious (retired research scientist).
It's hard to break the habit.

Brian.

Re: puzzling junk mail

David E. Ross-3
On 2/5/2019 12:13 PM, Brian wrote:

> I'm baffled by the increasing amounts of e-mails I'm receiving which
> are requests for a quotation on computer equipment, sent to my 'real'
> address, not this one which I use for mailing lists. I've never traded
> in computer hardware, and my address is even a .org domain, as you can
> see.
>
> Can anybody explain to me what the junk mail is trying to achieve? Is
> it just some sort of check to see whether my address bounces? WHY?
>
> The latest example is appended to this message.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian.

        [quoted spam snipped]

I have a procedure for dealing with spam that is at least partially
successful.  In case a spammer reads this newsgroup, however, I do not
want to make it public.  If you want my procedure, reply in this
newsgroup thread.  I will then send you an E-mail to
<[hidden email]>.

--
David E. Ross

Trump again proves he is a major source of fake news.  He wants
to cut off disaster funds to repair the damage caused by the
Woolsey Fire in southern California because he claims the state
fails to manage its forests properly.  The Woolsey Fire was NOT
a forest fire.  Starting in an industrial tract, it did not burn
through any forests.

See <http://www.rossde.com/fire.html>.

Re: puzzling junk mail

Brian-2
On 2/5/19 6:44 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 2/5/2019 12:13 PM, Brian wrote:
>> I'm baffled by the increasing amounts of e-mails I'm receiving which
>> are requests for a quotation on computer equipment, sent to my 'real'
>> address, not this one which I use for mailing lists. I've never traded
>> in computer hardware, and my address is even a .org domain, as you can
>> see.
>>
>> Can anybody explain to me what the junk mail is trying to achieve? Is
>> it just some sort of check to see whether my address bounces? WHY?
>>
>> The latest example is appended to this message.
>>
>> Thanks,
>>
>> Brian.
>>

> [quoted spam snipped]
>
> I have a procedure for dealing with spam that is at least partially
> successful.  In case a spammer reads this newsgroup, however, I do not
> want to make it public.  If you want my procedure, reply in this
> newsgroup thread.  I will then send you an E-mail to
> <[hidden email]>.

Now you've got me curious! :) OK, David, I'll bite. To make certain
you evade the automated filters, substitute my name for b_lists.

Thanks,

Brian.

Re: puzzling junk mail

Mozilla - General mailing list
On 2/5/19 4:31 PM, Brian wrote:
> I made a career out of being curious (retired research scientist).
> It's hard to break the habit.

~chuckle~

*Salute*

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

On 2/5/19 4:44 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
> I have a procedure for dealing with spam that is at least partially
> successful.  In case a spammer reads this newsgroup, however, I do not
> want to make it public.  If you want my procedure, reply in this newsgroup
> thread.  I will then send you an E-mail to <[hidden email]>.

I too am curious.

Please send me an email at your convenience.

Thank you in advance.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die

Re: puzzling junk mail

Wolf K.
On 2019-02-05 19:18, Grant Taylor wrote:

> On 2/5/19 4:44 PM, David E. Ross wrote:
>> I have a procedure for dealing with spam that is at least partially
>> successful.ย  In case a spammer reads this newsgroup, however, I do not
>> want to make it public.ย  If you want my procedure, reply in this
>> newsgroup thread.ย  I will then send you an E-mail to
>> <[hidden email]>.
>
> I too am curious.
>
> Please send me an email at your convenience.
>
> Thank you in advance.

Me too. :-)

The address is genuine.

On 2/5/2019 9:38 PM, Wolf K wrote:

> On 2019-02-05 16:26, Brian wrote:
> [...]
>> Again, for the sake of clarity, I'm*NOT*ย  asking how to deal with the
>> junk, I'm just curious because I don't understand what it is that
>> they're trying to achieve. Pure ASCII e-mail, no links, no remote
>> content.
>>
>> Brian.
>
> OK, sorry for misunderstanding.
>
> FWIW, I occasionally get spam from legit addresses, it looks like
> someone has scraped the sender's address and is using it for whatever
> purpose(s) they want. Which, as you say, is not always obvious.... :-)

I have had some from my own address.  In one case it was a long and
detailed threat, very well written although it was from China,
threatening to put a video I had made all over the Internet.  I have
never made a video online.  I reported it.  Do they send these out on spec?

--
Myth, after all, is what we believe naturally.  History is what we must
painfully learn and struggle to remember.  -Albert Goldman

Re: puzzling junk mail

The Real Bev
On 02/05/2019 12:13 PM, Brian wrote:

> I'm baffled by the increasing amounts of e-mails I'm receiving which
> are requests for a quotation on computer equipment, sent to my 'real'
> address, not this one which I use for mailing lists. I've never traded
> in computer hardware, and my address is even a .org domain, as you can
> see.
>
> Can anybody explain to me what the junk mail is trying to achieve? Is
> it just some sort of check to see whether my address bounces? WHY?
>
> The latest example is appended to this message.

My guess:  Somebody selling computer equipment used YOUR email address
for the reply-to for some reason, so all the replies go to you.
Probably a typo.

My REAL email address is sufficiently common that it could be mistyped
honestly, and this results in a lot of annoyance to me -- especially
when some idiot uses cc to send out a church (or other) newsletter and
the idiots REPLY ALL.  When it's clearly an error I try to be polite and
request that the person correct the address, which generally works.

If it's a business, and politeness results in NOT being removed or
corrected, I ask "Have you ever been reported for disseminating child
pornography?  Would you like to be?"  This generally gets the desired
result.

OTOH, there are people who use my address to sign up for sites that
require a login and don't demand an acknowledgment by email.   Sometimes
I can get this fixed, sometimes I just have to add the domain to my
killfile.

There are far too many idiots and assholes in the world.   It would be
interesting to know the proportion.

--
Cheers, Bev
   (On going to war over religion:) "You're basically killing each other

Re: puzzling junk mail

Daniel-2
The Real Bev wrote on 7/02/2019 5:57 AM:

> On 02/05/2019 12:13 PM, Brian wrote:
>> I'm baffled by the increasing amounts of e-mails I'm receiving which
>> are requests for a quotation on computer equipment, sent to my 'real'
>> address, not this one which I use for mailing lists. I've never traded
>> in computer hardware, and my address is even a .org domain, as you can
>> see.
>>
>> Can anybody explain to me what the junk mail is trying to achieve? Is
>> it just some sort of check to see whether my address bounces? WHY?
>>
>> The latest example is appended to this message.
>
> My guess:ย  Somebody selling computer equipment used YOUR email address
> for the reply-to for some reason, so all the replies go to you. Probably
> a typo.
>
> My REAL email address is sufficiently common that it could be mistyped
> honestly, and this results in a lot of annoyance to me -- especially
> when some idiot uses cc to send out a church (or other) newsletter and
> the idiots REPLY ALL.ย  When it's clearly an error I try to be polite and
> request that the person correct the address, which generally works.
>
> If it's a business, and politeness results in NOT being removed or
> corrected, I ask "Have you ever been reported for disseminating child
> pornography?ย  Would you like to be?"ย  This generally gets the desired
> result.
>
> OTOH, there are people who use my address to sign up for sites that
> require a login and don't demand an acknowledgment by email.ย ย  Sometimes
> I can get this fixed, sometimes I just have to add the domain to my
> killfile.
>
> There are far too many idiots and assholes in the world.ย ย  It would be
> interesting to know the proportion.

On occasion, I've received SPAM e-mails supposedly originating from me.
Doesn't happen often, but still ....

Additionally, one of my Brothers-in-Law had the habit, when he had some
news that all his contacts "needed" to know, he would send an e-mail to
all the contacts in his addressbook. He seemed a bit indignant when I
asked him not to include my e-mail address in his bulk mail-outs, but,
if he had to include me, I suggested he BCC: me instead of To:. He has
since done that!

But I still get the occasional SPAM e-mail from me!! ;-P

--
Daniel

SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171016030418

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:52.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.49.1 Build identifier: 20171015235623

Re: puzzling junk mail

Wolf K.
On 2019-02-07 00:47, Daniel wrote:

> The Real Bev wrote on 7/02/2019 5:57 AM:
>> On 02/05/2019 12:13 PM, Brian wrote:
>>> I'm baffled by the increasing amounts of e-mails I'm receiving which
>>> are requests for a quotation on computer equipment, sent to my 'real'
>>> address, not this one which I use for mailing lists. I've never traded
>>> in computer hardware, and my address is even a .org domain, as you can
>>> see.
>>>
>>> Can anybody explain to me what the junk mail is trying to achieve? Is
>>> it just some sort of check to see whether my address bounces? WHY?
>>>
>>> The latest example is appended to this message.
>>
>> My guess:ย  Somebody selling computer equipment used YOUR email address
>> for the reply-to for some reason, so all the replies go to you.
>> Probably a typo.
>>
>> My REAL email address is sufficiently common that it could be mistyped
>> honestly, and this results in a lot of annoyance to me -- especially
>> when some idiot uses cc to send out a church (or other) newsletter and
>> the idiots REPLY ALL.ย  When it's clearly an error I try to be polite
>> and request that the person correct the address, which generally works.
>>
>> If it's a business, and politeness results in NOT being removed or
>> corrected, I ask "Have you ever been reported for disseminating child
>> pornography?ย  Would you like to be?"ย  This generally gets the desired
>> result.
>>
>> OTOH, there are people who use my address to sign up for sites that
>> require a login and don't demand an acknowledgment by email.
>> Sometimes I can get this fixed, sometimes I just have to add the
>> domain to my killfile.
>>
>> There are far too many idiots and assholes in the world.ย ย  It would be
>> interesting to know the proportion.
>>
> On occasion, I've received SPAM e-mails supposedly originating from me.
> Doesn't happen often, but still ....
>
> Additionally, one of my Brothers-in-Law had the habit, when he had some
> news that all his contacts "needed" to know, he would send an e-mail to
> all the contacts in his addressbook. He seemed a bit indignant when I
> asked him not to include my e-mail address in his bulk mail-outs, but,
> if he had to include me, I suggested he BCC: me instead of To:. He has
> since done that!
>
> But I still get the occasional SPAM e-mail from me!! ;-P

He should BCC everybody, but it's probably too late for that now.

On 2/6/19 10:47 PM, Daniel wrote:
> But I still get the occasional SPAM e-mail from me!! ;-P

If you get spam with your email address (not the human friendly name) in
the from, or especially the SMTP envelope FROM:, then your email
provider is almost certainly not doing their job correctly.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die