project page out of date? 31 never released?

project page out of date? 31 never released?

shawn.walker
Greetings,

The project page states that:

"SpiderMonkey 31 is the most recent standalone source code release. It is largely the same engine that shipped with Firefox 31. Full source code is available here: https://people.mozilla.org/~sstangl/mozjs-31.2.0.rc0.tar.bz2"

...it looks like a "final" release of mozjs for 31 was never done.

In addition, it also claims that:

"The next release will be SpiderMonkey 38, around May 2015."

Any ideas what's going on?

Thanks,
-Shawn

Re: project page out of date? 31 never released?

markus.moenig
Hi Shawn,

nobody knows. And those who know don't talk.

I am quite frustrated, SM 31 does not compile on Windows. Nobody tells you when SM 38 comes out. The SM Website is completely out of sync.

SM is a great piece of tech but they make it really hard to use it outside of the FF world.

Markus

Re: project page out of date? 31 never released?

Nicolas B. Pierron

On 07/20/2015 02:50 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> The project page states that:
>
> "SpiderMonkey 31 is the most recent standalone source code release. It is largely the same engine that shipped with Firefox 31. Full source code is available here: https://people.mozilla.org/~sstangl/mozjs-31.2.0.rc0.tar.bz2"
>
> ....it looks like a "final" release of mozjs for 31 was never done.
>
> In addition, it also claims that:
>
> "The next release will be SpiderMonkey 38, around May 2015."
>
> Any ideas what's going on?

As far as I know, there is no automation for making the releases, and we are
all working on improving SpiderMonkey, but not on releasing it.  I recall
Sean Stangl did some work to simplify the way we build tarball out of
mozilla central source tree.

I will discuss with him to know if we have current blockers and if we can
automate this release process, and have integration tests to catch failure
sooner.

Sorry for the troubles.

--
Nicolas B. Pierron

Re: project page out of date? 31 never released?

markus.moenig
So, one month later, any updates on R38 Nicolas ?

> > The project page states that:
> >
> > "SpiderMonkey 31 is the most recent standalone source code release. It is largely the same engine that shipped with Firefox 31. Full source code is available here: https://people.mozilla.org/~sstangl/mozjs-31.2.0.rc0.tar.bz2"
> >
> > ....it looks like a "final" release of mozjs for 31 was never done.
> >
> > In addition, it also claims that:
> >
> > "The next release will be SpiderMonkey 38, around May 2015."
> >
> > Any ideas what's going on?
>
> As far as I know, there is no automation for making the releases, and we are
> all working on improving SpiderMonkey, but not on releasing it.  I recall
> Sean Stangl did some work to simplify the way we build tarball out of
> mozilla central source tree.
>
> I will discuss with him to know if we have current blockers and if we can
> automate this release process, and have integration tests to catch failure
> sooner.
>
> Sorry for the troubles.
>
> --
> Nicolas B. Pierron

Re: project page out of date? 31 never released?

Nicolas B. Pierron
Hi,

Sorry, I forgot to reply.

So apparently we already have a Makefile target to make the tarball, the
problem is that we do not have integration tests to catch the failures.

The question I have for you, and others reading this mailing list is, do you
know anybody who would be interested in having their project being compiled
frequently against a bleeding edge version of SpiderMonkey?  And also who
would be willing to fix issues as soon as they arise?

Having a build-farm to produce a tarball should be quite easy, making sure
this tarball is working as expected is another issue.

--
Nicolas B. Pierron

Re: project page out of date? 31 never released?

markus.moenig
Hi Nicolas,

I would be interested to test and compile my JavaScript based application framework against bleeding edge versions of SM and report / try to fix if possible any problems which might occur... .

Thanks,

Markus

On 09/03/2015 01:39 PM, Markus wrote:
> I would be interested to test and compile my JavaScript based application framework against bleeding edge versions of SM and report / try to fix if possible any problems which might occur... .

Do you have a public url where I can fetch the latest sources?

--
Nicolas B. Pierron

Re: project page out of date? 31 never released?

markus.moenig
Hi Nicolas,

Website is at www.visualgraphics.tv, sources are at https://github.com/markusmoenig/visualgraphics. The sources for the C++ version are in the sdl2_host directory.

But please note that the Website and sources are now quite outdated and a completely new Website is scheduled to go online in a month together with 0.30 and new features like integrated Intel Embree (raytracing) support and many new examples and demos.

Currently VG runs on Mac, Windows and Linux. We will port to iOS and Android for v0.40 which is scheduled end of the year.

Best,

Markus

On Thursday, September 3, 2015 at 7:44:19 PM UTC+7, Nicolas B. Pierron wrote:
> On 09/03/2015 01:39 PM, Markus wrote:
> > I would be interested to test and compile my JavaScript based application framework against bleeding edge versions of SM and report / try to fix if possible any problems which might occur... .
>
> Do you have a public url where I can fetch the latest sources?
>
> --
> Nicolas B. Pierron

Re: project page out of date? 31 never released?

Nicolas B. Pierron
Hi Markus,

Thanks for the link to your project,

I have deadlines for the end of September, I will try to do it in
October/November.  I will try to setup an Hydra[1] instance to create
SpiderMonkey releases and check each build against your project.

[1] http://nixos.org/hydra/

--
Nicolas B. Pierron

Re: project page out of date? 31 never released?

markus.moenig
Thanks Nicolas.

But does that mean no R38 before October / November ?

Markus