profiling startup TB w extension

neandr-3
Is there a way to profile the startup process of Thunderbird with a
specific extension using Venkman?
AFAIK there is a start parameter -- but am not able to find it in the
documentation.
Beside that, how to "instruct" Venkman to directly profile with startup?

Günter

Re: profiling startup TB w extension

Neil-4
neandr wrote:

> Is there a way to profile the startup process of Thunderbird with a
> specific extension using Venkman?
> AFAIK there is a start parameter -- but am not able to find it in the
> documentation.
> Beside that, how to "instruct" Venkman to directly profile with startup?

I'm not sure that it comes to the same thing but you could try opening
Thunderbird with -venkman -jsconsole -silent and then once Venkman had
opened you could start profiling and then use the Error Console to open
the main Thunderbird window via openDialog('chrome://messenger/content',
'', 'all,dialog=no');

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

On 03.05.2011 10:10, Neil wrote:

> neandr wrote:
>
>> Is there a way to profile the startup process of Thunderbird with a
>> specific extension using Venkman?
>> AFAIK there is a start parameter -- but am not able to find it in the
>> documentation.
>> Beside that, how to "instruct" Venkman to directly profile with startup?
>
> I'm not sure that it comes to the same thing but you could try opening
> Thunderbird with -venkman -jsconsole -silent and then once Venkman had
> opened you could start profiling and then use the Error Console to open
> the main Thunderbird window via openDialog('chrome://messenger/content',
> '', 'all,dialog=no');

Great idea .. unfortunately with starting TB that way only the console
comes up. No Venkman -- because as a extension it needs it's host (which
isn't started). So no possibility to enable the VKM profiling.

Any further idea?

On 03.05.2011 11:19, neandr wrote:

> On 03.05.2011 10:10, Neil wrote:
>> neandr wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to profile the startup process of Thunderbird with a
>>> specific extension using Venkman?
>>> AFAIK there is a start parameter -- but am not able to find it in the
>>> documentation.
>>> Beside that, how to "instruct" Venkman to directly profile with startup?
>>
>> I'm not sure that it comes to the same thing but you could try opening
>> Thunderbird with -venkman -jsconsole -silent and then once Venkman had
>> opened you could start profiling and then use the Error Console to open
>> the main Thunderbird window via openDialog('chrome://messenger/content',
>> '', 'all,dialog=no');
>>
> Great idea .. unfortunately with starting TB that way only the console
> comes up. No Venkman -- because as a extension it needs it's host (which
> isn't started). So no possibility to enable the VKM profiling.
>
> Any further idea?

.. and new Venkman can't be started that way:
:~$ /var/mozilla/thunderbirdEN/thunderbird -venkman
Warning: unrecognized command line flag -venkman

Re: profiling startup TB w extension

Philip Chee
On Tue, 03 May 2011 11:19:28 +0200, neandr wrote:

> On 03.05.2011 10:10, Neil wrote:
>> neandr wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to profile the startup process of Thunderbird with a
>>> specific extension using Venkman?
>>> AFAIK there is a start parameter -- but am not able to find it in the
>>> documentation.
>>> Beside that, how to "instruct" Venkman to directly profile with startup?
>>
>> I'm not sure that it comes to the same thing but you could try opening
>> Thunderbird with -venkman -jsconsole -silent and then once Venkman had
>> opened you could start profiling and then use the Error Console to open
>> the main Thunderbird window via openDialog('chrome://messenger/content',
>> '', 'all,dialog=no');
>>
> Great idea .. unfortunately with starting TB that way only the console
> comes up. No Venkman -- because as a extension it needs it's host (which
> isn't started). So no possibility to enable the VKM profiling.
>
> Any further idea?

Strange. The following works for SeaMonkey 2.1pre

seamonkey.exe -p TestSR21 -no-remote -purgecaches -console2 -venkman -silent

And both Venkman and Console2 are extensions. Thunderbird should work
the same way as we both use the same Gecko/toolkit.

Phil

--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org

On Tue, 03 May 2011 11:22:52 +0200, neandr wrote:

> On 03.05.2011 11:19, neandr wrote:

>>> I'm not sure that it comes to the same thing but you could try opening
>>> Thunderbird with -venkman -jsconsole -silent and then once Venkman had
>>> opened you could start profiling and then use the Error Console to open
>>> the main Thunderbird window via openDialog('chrome://messenger/content',
>>> '', 'all,dialog=no');
>>>
>> Great idea .. unfortunately with starting TB that way only the console
>> comes up. No Venkman -- because as a extension it needs it's host (which
>> isn't started). So no possibility to enable the VKM profiling.
>>
>> Any further idea?
>>
> .. and new Venkman can't be started that way:
> :~$ /var/mozilla/thunderbirdEN/thunderbird -venkman
> Warning: unrecognized command line flag -venkman

That probably means you forgot to install Venkman.

Phil

--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org

RFE: profiling startup TB w extension

neandr-3
On 03.05.2011 11:46, Philip Chee wrote:

> On Tue, 03 May 2011 11:19:28 +0200, neandr wrote:

>>> I'm not sure that it comes to the same thing but you could try opening
>>> Thunderbird with -venkman -jsconsole -silent and then once Venkman had
>>> opened you could start profiling and then use the Error Console to open
>>> the main Thunderbird window via openDialog('chrome://messenger/content',
>>> '', 'all,dialog=no');
>>>
>> Great idea .. unfortunately with starting TB that way only the console
>> comes up. No Venkman -- because as a extension it needs it's host (which
>> isn't started). So no possibility to enable the VKM profiling.
>>
>> Any further idea?
>
> Strange. The following works for SeaMonkey 2.1pre
>
> seamonkey.exe -p TestSR21 -no-remote -purgecaches -console2 -venkman -silent
>
> And both Venkman and Console2 are extensions. Thunderbird should work
> the same way as we both use the same Gecko/toolkit.

This works .. partially and not up to the point I need:
~$ /var/mozilla/thunderbirdEN/thunderbird -P 2011_april -no-remote
-purgecaches -console2 -venkman -silent
Warning: unrecognized command line flag -purgecaches

using that command the console2 opens, but NOT Venkman. Both are
installed to the named profile (parameter needs to be -P / uppercase).
With the command to the console
openDialog('chrome://messenger/content', '', 'all,dialog=no');
TB opens.

My request to enable the Venkman Profiling at *startup* doesn't work
with this approach.
Any other idea .. is there a startup parameter for Venkman profiling at
all?
*RFE* Any idea how it's possible to modify it that way?

Günter

Re: RFE: profiling startup TB w extension

Philip Chee
On Tue, 03 May 2011 13:39:04 +0200, neandr wrote:

> On 03.05.2011 11:46, Philip Chee wrote:

>>> Great idea .. unfortunately with starting TB that way only the console
>>> comes up. No Venkman -- because as a extension it needs it's host (which
>>> isn't started). So no possibility to enable the VKM profiling.
>>>
>>> Any further idea?
>>
>> Strange. The following works for SeaMonkey 2.1pre
>>
>> seamonkey.exe -p TestSR21 -no-remote -purgecaches -console2 -venkman -silent
>>
>> And both Venkman and Console2 are extensions. Thunderbird should work
>> the same way as we both use the same Gecko/toolkit.
>>

> This works .. partially and not up to the point I need:
> ~$ /var/mozilla/thunderbirdEN/thunderbird -P 2011_april -no-remote
> -purgecaches -console2 -venkman -silent
> Warning: unrecognized command line flag -purgecaches
>
> using that command the console2 opens, but NOT Venkman. Both are
> installed to the named profile (parameter needs to be -P / uppercase).
> With the command to the console
> openDialog('chrome://messenger/content', '', 'all,dialog=no');
> TB opens.
>
> My request to enable the Venkman Profiling at *startup* doesn't work
> with this approach.
> Any other idea .. is there a startup parameter for Venkman profiling at
> all?
> *RFE* Any idea how it's possible to modify it that way?

In SeaMonkey 2.1pre I get both Console2 and Venkman windows. Which
version of Thunderbird are you using? -purgecaches should work with
Thunderbird 3.3x or anything based on Gecko 2.0 and above.

You also probably need a trunk/nightly build of Venkman.

Phil

On 04.05.2011 07:07, Philip Chee wrote:
> In SeaMonkey 2.1pre I get both Console2 and Venkman windows. Which
> version of Thunderbird are you using? -purgecaches should work with
> Thunderbird 3.3x or anything based on Gecko 2.0 and above.
>
> You also probably need a trunk/nightly build of Venkman.
>
> Phil

Thanks Phil,
but I don't have success. Here are the start and installation strings:

:~$ /var/mozilla/thunderbirdEN/thunderbird -P 2011_april -no-remote
-purgecaches -console2 -Venkman -silent
Warning: unrecognized command line flag -purgecaches
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.2.17) Gecko/20110414
Thunderbird/3.1.10

----------------------
:~$ /var/mozilla/seamonkey20/seamonkey  -P default -no-remote
-purgecaches -console2 -venkman -silent
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420
SeaMonkey/2.0.14

As you can see I'm on Linux (Ubuntu 10.10) with all updates.
Venkman is installed with both apps:
javascript_debugger-0.9.88.1-fx+tb+sm.xpi

With the TB start you see there is an error on the console saying the
-purgecaches isn't known.

Will try to find the VK nightly in the hope it will help.

On Wed, 04 May 2011 12:11:27 +0200, neandr wrote:

> ----------------------
> :~$ /var/mozilla/seamonkey20/seamonkey  -P default -no-remote
> -purgecaches -console2 -venkman -silent
> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420
> SeaMonkey/2.0.14
>
> As you can see I'm on Linux (Ubuntu 10.10) with all updates.
> Venkman is installed with both apps:
> javascript_debugger-0.9.88.1-fx+tb+sm.xpi
>
> With the TB start you see there is an error on the console saying the
> -purgecaches isn't known.
>
> Will try to find the VK nightly in the hope it will help.

-purgecaches is new in Gecko 2.0 (Thunderbird 3.3, SeaMonkey 2.1) but
the other stuff -console2 -venkman should work. I use that all the time.

Phil

--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org

RFE: profiling extension startup w Venkman

neandr-3
On 04.05.2011 12:59, Philip Chee wrote:

> On Wed, 04 May 2011 12:11:27 +0200, neandr wrote:
>
>> ----------------------
>> :~$ /var/mozilla/seamonkey20/seamonkey  -P default -no-remote
>> -purgecaches -console2 -venkman -silent
>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420
>> SeaMonkey/2.0.14
>>
>> As you can see I'm on Linux (Ubuntu 10.10) with all updates.
>> Venkman is installed with both apps:
>> javascript_debugger-0.9.88.1-fx+tb+sm.xpi
>>
>> With the TB start you see there is an error on the console saying the
>> -purgecaches isn't known.
>>
>> Will try to find the VK nightly in the hope it will help.
>
> -purgecaches is new in Gecko 2.0 (Thunderbird 3.3, SeaMonkey 2.1) but
> the other stuff -console2 -venkman should work. I use that all the time.
>
> Phil

OK, with -purgecaches .. I understand.
But the rest isn't as I expect, maybe my expectations are wrong?
Here is what I need to achieve:
Due to the Mozilla initiative to reduce the extension's startup time I'm
looking for tools to identify the big chunks.
Venkman helps in the past for optimizing so I thought to use it also for
the startup. But the "Profile" feature AFAIK works only with activation
using the toolbar button. To late for this.

So the goal is to start FX/TB/SM with Venkman, BUT with the 'Profile'
enable.
Another obstacle seems to me the change Mozilla made to Venkman, see
here: http://www.gijsk.com/blog/2010/08/venkman-0-9-88-1/
That modification seems to be contraproductive with my request to
analyze the startup process.

I also had problems loading the extension code, also using
/startup-init true

Hope the authors of Venkman can help here. Think this all is a
*RFE* .. *a request for a real development need*.

Thanks for listening
Günter

Re: RFE: profiling extension startup w Venkman

Arivald
W dniu 2011-05-04 13:47, neandr pisze:

> On 04.05.2011 12:59, Philip Chee wrote:
>> On Wed, 04 May 2011 12:11:27 +0200, neandr wrote:
>>
>>> ----------------------
>>> :~$ /var/mozilla/seamonkey20/seamonkey -P default -no-remote
>>> -purgecaches -console2 -venkman -silent
>>> Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9.1.19) Gecko/20110420
>>> SeaMonkey/2.0.14
>>>
>>> As you can see I'm on Linux (Ubuntu 10.10) with all updates.
>>> Venkman is installed with both apps:
>>> javascript_debugger-0.9.88.1-fx+tb+sm.xpi
>>>
>>> With the TB start you see there is an error on the console saying the
>>> -purgecaches isn't known.
>>>
>>> Will try to find the VK nightly in the hope it will help.
>>
>> -purgecaches is new in Gecko 2.0 (Thunderbird 3.3, SeaMonkey 2.1) but
>> the other stuff -console2 -venkman should work. I use that all the time.
>>
>> Phil
>>
> OK, with -purgecaches .. I understand.
> But the rest isn't as I expect, maybe my expectations are wrong?
> Here is what I need to achieve:
[...]

I think no extension like Venkman can help You. Simply, they are fully
functional too late, after extensions startup.

Instead check this page:
https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Projects/Startup_Time_Improvements

in "Measurement & Testing Projects" section there are bug numbers to
some projects... especially bug 522375 - built-in startup measurement.
Bug is against Toolkit, so new nightly TB binaries may have it already.

Also "Tips, Tools" section may be useful.

--
Arivald

On 04.05.2011 14:20, Arivald wrote:

> I think no extension like Venkman can help You. Simply, they are fully
> functional too late, after extensions startup.
>
> Instead check this page:
> https://wiki.mozilla.org/Firefox/Projects/Startup_Time_Improvements
>
> in "Measurement & Testing Projects" section there are bug numbers to
> some projects... especially bug 522375 - built-in startup measurement.
> Bug is against Toolkit, so new nightly TB binaries may have it already.
>
> Also "Tips, Tools" section may be useful.

Thanks for that feedback .. it comes down to only: at the moment you can
use:http://blog.mozilla.com/addons/2010/06/14/improve-extension-startup-performance/
and follow it's links.

I hoped to get methods for some more details which parts of the (an)
extension are consuming how much time. But that seems to be a future point.

Re: RFE: profiling startup TB w extension

alta88[nntp]

---On 2011.May.03 11:07 PM, Philip Chee wrote:

> On Tue, 03 May 2011 13:39:04 +0200, neandr wrote:

>>> Strange. The following works for SeaMonkey 2.1pre
>>>
>>> seamonkey.exe -p TestSR21 -no-remote -purgecaches -console2 -venkman -silent
>>>
>>> And both Venkman and Console2 are extensions. Thunderbird should work
>>> the same way as we both use the same Gecko/toolkit.
>>>

>> This works .. partially and not up to the point I need:
>> ~$ /var/mozilla/thunderbirdEN/thunderbird -P 2011_april -no-remote
>> -purgecaches -console2 -venkman -silent
>> Warning: unrecognized command line flag -purgecaches
>>
>> using that command the console2 opens, but NOT Venkman. Both are
>> installed to the named profile (parameter needs to be -P / uppercase).
>> With the command to the console
>> openDialog('chrome://messenger/content', '', 'all,dialog=no');
>> TB opens.
>>
>> My request to enable the Venkman Profiling at *startup* doesn't work
>> with this approach.
>> Any other idea .. is there a startup parameter for Venkman profiling at
>> all?
>> *RFE* Any idea how it's possible to modify it that way?
>
> In SeaMonkey 2.1pre I get both Console2 and Venkman windows. Which
> version of Thunderbird are you using? -purgecaches should work with
> Thunderbird 3.3x or anything based on Gecko 2.0 and above.
>
> You also probably need a trunk/nightly build of Venkman.
>
> Phil

the venkman 0.9.88.1 on AMO doesn't work with Tb3.3+ at all (not
implemented dialog).  for some reason the owners are no longer updating
the extension on AMO even though this particular bug has been fixed.  so
where are these magic venkman builds - only in sm?

On Wed, 04 May 2011 12:11:14 -0500, alta88[nntp] wrote:

>> You also probably need a trunk/nightly build of Venkman.
>>
>> Phil
>
> the venkman 0.9.88.1 on AMO doesn't work with Tb3.3+ at all (not
> implemented dialog).  for some reason the owners are no longer updating
> the extension on AMO even though this particular bug has been fixed.  so
> where are these magic venkman builds - only in sm?

Yes, SM nightly (2.2 and 2.1) builds ship with an up to date Venkman
(and DOMi and Chatzilla). Just download a ZIP build, extract the XPI
from the archive and install it in Thunderbird.

Phil

---On 2011.May.04 11:17 AM, Philip Chee wrote:

> On Wed, 04 May 2011 12:11:14 -0500, alta88[nntp] wrote:
>
>>> You also probably need a trunk/nightly build of Venkman.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>
>> the venkman 0.9.88.1 on AMO doesn't work with Tb3.3+ at all (not
>> implemented dialog).  for some reason the owners are no longer updating
>> the extension on AMO even though this particular bug has been fixed.  so
>> where are these magic venkman builds - only in sm?
>
> Yes, SM nightly (2.2 and 2.1) builds ship with an up to date Venkman
> (and DOMi and Chatzilla). Just download a ZIP build, extract the XPI
> from the archive and install it in Thunderbird.
>
> Phil

yeah, because that's how it *should* work..

(sarc not directed at you, toolbar pal)

On 04.05.2011 19:17, Philip Chee wrote:

> On Wed, 04 May 2011 12:11:14 -0500, alta88[nntp] wrote:
>
>>> You also probably need a trunk/nightly build of Venkman.
>>>
>>> Phil
>>
>> the venkman 0.9.88.1 on AMO doesn't work with Tb3.3+ at all (not
>> implemented dialog).  for some reason the owners are no longer updating
>> the extension on AMO even though this particular bug has been fixed.  so
>> where are these magic venkman builds - only in sm?
>
> Yes, SM nightly (2.2 and 2.1) builds ship with an up to date Venkman
> (and DOMi and Chatzilla). Just download a ZIP build, extract the XPI
> from the archive and install it in Thunderbird.
>
> Phil

Thank Phil,
at least a little outcome getting a installable Venkman version:
http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/nightly/2.1b3-candidates/build3/linux-i686/en-US/
Unzipping it has Venkman as:
/seamonkey/distribution/extensions/{f13b157f-b174-47e7-a34d-4815ddfdfeb8}.xpi