plz advice

lord naasik
To All Experts in here.

plz tell me whether i shud go for seamonkey 1.5 alpha or seamonkey 1.0
beta. whats the major difference between these two builds. Also
Seamonkey tends to use up a lot of memory(70 MB with 4-5 tabs open). is
this a bug?.

Re: plz advice

Michael Gordon
lord naasik wrote:

> To All Experts in here.
>
> plz tell me whether i shud go for seamonkey 1.5 alpha or seamonkey 1.0
> beta. whats the major difference between these two builds. Also
> Seamonkey tends to use up a lot of memory(70 MB with 4-5 tabs open).
> is this a bug?.

Well, this depends on how you want to use SeaMonkey.  Personally I am
waiting for the Public Release so the major bugs are resolved.  Anything
in Alpha or Beta release is for testing purposes only and you must be
willing to take a few chances.  The SeaMonkey 1.5a is based on the
Mozilla 1.8 Gecko engine and is still in development, the SeaMonkey 1.0b
is based on the Mozilla 1.7 Gecko engine and is very stable.  The
Mozilla 1.7 Gecko engine is what has been behind the Mozilla Suite 1.7x
and the current Firefox and Thunderbird releases.

Your 70Mb with 4-5 tabs open is small in comparison to Mozilla 1.7.12
suite, here with only the mail program open I have 103Mb of memory used.

Michael

Re: plz advice

Frank Wein
Michael Gordon wrote:

> lord naasik wrote:
>
>> To All Experts in here.
>>
>> plz tell me whether i shud go for seamonkey 1.5 alpha or seamonkey 1.0
>> beta. whats the major difference between these two builds. Also
>> Seamonkey tends to use up a lot of memory(70 MB with 4-5 tabs open).
>> is this a bug?.
>
> Well, this depends on how you want to use SeaMonkey.  Personally I am
> waiting for the Public Release so the major bugs are resolved.  Anything
> in Alpha or Beta release is for testing purposes only and you must be
> willing to take a few chances.  The SeaMonkey 1.5a is based on the
> Mozilla 1.8 Gecko engine and is still in development, the SeaMonkey 1.0b
> is based on the Mozilla 1.7 Gecko engine and is very stable.  The
> Mozilla 1.7 Gecko engine is what has been behind the Mozilla Suite 1.7x
> and the current Firefox and Thunderbird releases.

I think you confused something with the numbers here :). SeaMonkey 1.5a
is based on Gecko Trunk, so Gecko 1.9a if you want to say it like that.
SeaMonkey 1.0b is based on Gecko 1.8, FF 1.5 and TB 1.5 also base on the
(almost?) same Gecko 1.8 version.

Frank

Re: plz advice

Leonidas Jones
lord naasik wrote:
> To All Experts in here.
>
> plz tell me whether i shud go for seamonkey 1.5 alpha or seamonkey 1.0
> beta. whats the major difference between these two builds. Also
> Seamonkey tends to use up a lot of memory(70 MB with 4-5 tabs open). is
> this a bug?.

If you have to ask, I  think the smartest answer is 1.0beta.  It is
very, very stable, and will give a sneak peek at the release version.
You seem already to have it.

Actually, that does not seem like a lot of memory usage to me.  Most non
MS programs seem to have memory issues on Windows.  Netscape has always
had problems in this regard, going back to NC4. I've seen nothing to
indicate that the trunk nightlies are doing any better in this regard.

Lee

Re: plz advice

Michael Gordon
Frank Wein wrote:

> Michael Gordon wrote:
>
>> lord naasik wrote:
>>
>>> To All Experts in here.
>>>
>>> plz tell me whether i shud go for seamonkey 1.5 alpha or seamonkey
>>> 1.0 beta. whats the major difference between these two builds. Also
>>> Seamonkey tends to use up a lot of memory(70 MB with 4-5 tabs open).
>>> is this a bug?.
>>

>> Well, this depends on how you want to use SeaMonkey.  Personally I am
>> waiting for the Public Release so the major bugs are resolved.
>> Anything in Alpha or Beta release is for testing purposes only and
>> you must be willing to take a few chances.  The SeaMonkey 1.5a is
>> based on the Mozilla 1.8 Gecko engine and is still in development,
>> the SeaMonkey 1.0b is based on the Mozilla 1.7 Gecko engine and is
>> very stable.  The Mozilla 1.7 Gecko engine is what has been behind
>> the Mozilla Suite 1.7x and the current Firefox and Thunderbird releases.
>

> I think you confused something with the numbers here :). SeaMonkey
> 1.5a is based on Gecko Trunk, so Gecko 1.9a if you want to say it like
> that. SeaMonkey 1.0b is based on Gecko 1.8, FF 1.5 and TB 1.5 also
> base on the (almost?) same Gecko 1.8 version.
>
> Frank

Hello Frank,

You are so correct, somehow I got crossed up with the version numbers.

Thanks for the correction.

Michael