plugin update problem

vranabhatt
I am having a browser plugin for our web site which is designed for Firefox and Safari on OS X.Now we have added some additional features in it.Now we want to use this new plugin instead of old one, so we are forcing user to download the updated plugin.we have changed the plugin version from 1.0 to 2.0 which can be get using plugin method.

Now the problem I am facing when I launch the Web site it installed the old plugin as usual and  than compares the version and since it is older version i.e. 1.0 it ask the user download the new plugin and through dmg file new plugin is installed.here the problem is old plugin is still in memory though new plugin is installed and we never get plugin  version 2.0.

I posted this problem here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18201312/npapi-plugin-update-doesnot-work-on-the-fly

Here the guy suggested me to rename the plugin and append version in the name of the plugin.I did that but the problem is old plugin not getting uninstalled.so the plugin version always comes as 1.0.I have tried removal of object tag to uninstall it but no luck because it is not consistent it takes lot time to unload it.problem in renaming is there will be 2 version of same plugin, so next when website is launched it will load both the plugin since we are using object tag and specified mime type there which is common to both plugin.Please suggest me on this.

Re: plugin update problem

Georg Fritzsche-3
On Sep 6, 2013, at 7:41 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

> problem in renaming is there will be 2 version of same plugin, so next when website is launched it will load both the plugin since we are using object tag and specified mime type there which is common to both plugin.Please suggest me on this.

While both will be in navigator.plugins, you can check their version property.
When actually using them in the page only one will be loaded - the one with the higher
version number.

Georg

Re: plugin update problem

mdtahir90 Uddin
On Friday, September 6, 2013 at 11:41:30 AM UTC+6, [hidden email] wrote:
> I am having a browser plugin for our web site which is designed for Firefox and Safari on OS X.Now we have added some additional features in it.Now we want to use this new plugin instead of old one, so we are forcing user to download the updated plugin.we have changed the plugin version from 1.0 to 2.0 which can be get using plugin method.
>
> Now the problem I am facing when I launch the Web site it installed the old plugin as usual and  than compares the version and since it is older version i.e. 1.0 it ask the user download the new plugin and through dmg file new plugin is installed.here the problem is old plugin is still in memory though new plugin is installed and we never get plugin  version 2.0.
>
> I posted this problem here http://stackoverflow.com/questions/18201312/npapi-plugin-update-doesnot-work-on-the-fly
>
> Here the guy suggested me to rename the plugin and append version in the name of the plugin.I did that but the problem is old plugin not getting uninstalled.so the plugin version always comes as 1.0.I have tried removal of object tag to uninstall it but no luck because it is not consistent it takes lot time to unload it.problem in renaming is there will be 2 version of same plugin, so next when website is launched it will load both the plugin since we are using object tag and specified mime type there which is common to both plugin.Please suggest me on this.

Re: plugin update problem

tdkatangi