plugin for ms-word *.doc files

Dilbert Firestorm
is there a plugin to read windows word *.doc files?

Re: plugin for ms-word *.doc files

James Moe
Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
> is there a plugin to read windows word *.doc files?

   No.
   If you have a word processor that can decipher Word file (such as
OpenOffice), you can set up a helper application to load the document. Use
"application/msword" as the MIME type.
   Or go to <http://view.samurajdata.se/>

(Remove DESPAMMZ for email)

Re: plugin for ms-word *.doc files

Mike Luther
It's one of the things ...

James Moe wrote:

> Dilbert Firestorm wrote:
>
>> is there a plugin to read windows word *.doc files?
>

>   No.
>   If you have a word processor that can decipher Word file (such as
> OpenOffice), you can set up a helper application to load the document.
> Use "application/msword" as the MIME type.
>   Or go to <http://view.samurajdata.se/>

I use Smart Suite to do.

--

--> Sleep well; OS2's still awake! ;)

Mike Luther

Re: plugin for ms-word *.doc files

Michael DeBusk
On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 01:32:10 -0600, Dilbert Firestorm
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  is there a plugin to read windows word *.doc files?

Closest I've come to that is AntiWord:

http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/convert/antiword035.zip
Author's page: http://www.winfield.demon.nl/

Not used as a plugin, but great as a helper app.

(If anyone has compiled version 0.36 or 0.37 for OS/2, please upload it
to Hobbes. Thank you.)

--
Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
Did he update http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/ yet?

Re: plugin for ms-word *.doc files

Dave Yeo
Michael DeBusk wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 01:32:10 -0600, Dilbert Firestorm
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>  is there a plugin to read windows word *.doc files?
>>

> Closest I've come to that is AntiWord:
>
> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/convert/antiword035.zip
> Author's page: http://www.winfield.demon.nl/
>
> Not used as a plugin, but great as a helper app.
>
> (If anyone has compiled version 0.36 or 0.37 for OS/2, please upload it
> to Hobbes. Thank you.)

Antiword 0.37 should now be in Hobbes incoming. Just a simple recompile
Dave

--
While mindlink used to be my ISP now it is paralynx dot com. Please adjust the reply address to reflect the different domain

Re: plugin for ms-word *.doc files

Lon Hooker
Dave Yeo wrote:

> Michael DeBusk wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 01:32:10 -0600, Dilbert Firestorm
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>>  is there a plugin to read windows word *.doc files?
>>>

>> Closest I've come to that is AntiWord:
>>
>> http://hobbes.nmsu.edu/pub/os2/util/convert/antiword035.zip
>> Author's page: http://www.winfield.demon.nl/
>>
>> Not used as a plugin, but great as a helper app.
>>
>> (If anyone has compiled version 0.36 or 0.37 for OS/2, please upload it
>> to Hobbes. Thank you.)
>>

> Antiword 0.37 should now be in Hobbes incoming. Just a simple recompile
> Dave

Or, check this from Paul Smedley:

/quote/

Just an update to let people know that there are some new & updated OS/2
ports available from http://smedley.info/os2ports.html

New ports
~~~~~~~~~

Antiword is a free MS Word reader for Linux and RISC OS. There are ports
to FreeBSD, BeOS, OS/2, Mac OS X, Amiga, VMS, NetWare, Plan9, EPOC,
Zaurus PDA and DOS. Antiword converts the binary files from Word 2, 6,  7,
97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 to plain text and to PostScript TM . More
information is available from http://www.winfield.demon.nl//

/end quote/

HTH

Lon

On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 18:25:21 -0800, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Antiword 0.37 should now be in Hobbes incoming. Just a simple
>  recompile

Thank you kindly! :)

--
Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
I am a pineapple  *  http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/

Re: plugin for ms-word *.doc files

Michael DeBusk
On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:16:21 GMT, Michael DeBusk
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Not used as a plugin, but great as a helper app.

Here's the CMD file I use. It's worked well so far.

/*
 * Filename: aw.cmd
 *   Author: Michael DeBusk
 *  Created: 2005-11-20
 *  Purpose: Converts Word docs to plain text;
             helper app for Firefox
 *  Changes:
 */

PARSE ARG inFile
outFile = value('TEMP',,'OS2ENVIRONMENT') || '\mswTemp.txt'
aw = 'F:\util\antiword\antiword.exe'
ed = 'C:\OS2\E.EXE'

aw inFile '>' outFile
ed outFile
EXIT

--
Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
I am a pineapple  *  http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/

Re: plugin for ms-word *.doc files

Heikki Kekki
Michael DeBusk wrote:

> Here's the CMD file I use. It's worked well so far.
>
> /*
>  * Filename: aw.cmd
>  *   Author: Michael DeBusk
>  *  Created: 2005-11-20
>  *  Purpose: Converts Word docs to plain text;
>              helper app for Firefox
>  *  Changes:
>  */
>
> PARSE ARG inFile
> outFile = value('TEMP',,'OS2ENVIRONMENT') || '\mswTemp.txt'
> aw = 'F:\util\antiword\antiword.exe'
> ed = 'C:\OS2\E.EXE'
>
> aw inFile '>' outFile
> ed outFile
> EXIT

Works fine, with little addition to line 12:
aw = 'F:\util\antiword\antiword.exe -m cp850.txt'
I use 850 as primary CP because of DOS compatibility.

--
Hessu
Feel free to correct my English :-)

Re: plugin for ms-word *.doc files

Michael DeBusk
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:29:52 +0200, Heikki Kekki
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Works fine, with little addition to line 12:
>  aw = 'F:\util\antiword\antiword.exe -m cp850.txt'
>  I use 850 as primary CP because of DOS compatibility.

Good idea. I'll give it a go.

I also wanted to use '-w 0' and let the editor take care of word wrap.
I removed it for some reason... probably not a good one.

--
Michael DeBusk, Co-Conspirator to Make the World a Better Place
I am a pineapple  *  http://home.earthlink.net/~debu4335/

Re: plugin for ms-word *.doc files

Michael DeBusk
On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 18:01:30 GMT, Michael DeBusk
<[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I also wanted to use '-w 0' and let the editor take care of word wrap.
>  I removed it for some reason... probably not a good one.

I just added it back in. It works fine.

Michael DeBusk wrote:

> On Fri, 18 Nov 2005 09:16:21 GMT, Michael DeBusk
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>  Not used as a plugin, but great as a helper app.
>>

> Here's the CMD file I use. It's worked well so far.
>
> /*
>  * Filename: aw.cmd
>  *   Author: Michael DeBusk
>  *  Created: 2005-11-20
>  *  Purpose: Converts Word docs to plain text;
>              helper app for Firefox
>  *  Changes:
>  */
>
> PARSE ARG inFile
> outFile = value('TEMP',,'OS2ENVIRONMENT') || '\mswTemp.txt'
> aw = 'F:\util\antiword\antiword.exe'
> ed = 'C:\OS2\E.EXE'
>
> aw inFile '>' outFile
> ed outFile
> EXIT

Would you mind if I sent this script upstream to the antiword authors?
This way it can be included in the source distribution and available for
anyone who compiles it themselves. Might want to license it GPL or
somesuch too.
Also is there interest in making antiword more DOSish? eg path
seperators, a few other small changes and perhaps make cp850 the default?
Dave

On Sun, 20 Nov 2005 17:21:36 -0800, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Would you mind if I sent this script upstream to the antiword
>  authors?

That's fine with me.

>  Might want to license it GPL or somesuch too.

It comes with the "Do whatever you want with this thing" license. If
you need to, please add some sort of boilerplate PD release to it.

>  Also is there interest in making antiword more DOSish? eg path
>  seperators, a few other small changes and perhaps make cp850 the
>  default?

I'm not sure what the advantages of that would be over what it already
has. I've yet to run into a problem with it. What do you think?

On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:26:31 -0800, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  I think I'll just leave it as is. Runs fine here and the only source
>  changes were some makefile editing.

It'd be nice if your makefile changes were distributed with the source,
too. I found your build on Hobbes just as i was getting ready to try to
compile it myself. :)

>  I'll probably include your script in the next build I  do

Cool.

I wonder if we could talk Frank Wochatz (of ePDF fame) into building a
front-end for AntiWord. :)

Michael DeBusk wrote:

> On Tue, 22 Nov 2005 14:26:31 -0800, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>>  I think I'll just leave it as is. Runs fine here and the only source
>>  changes were some makefile editing.
>>

> It'd be nice if your makefile changes were distributed with the source,
> too. I found your build on Hobbes just as i was getting ready to try to
> compile it myself. :)

I did send the makefile upstream a couple of years ago, guess I should
try to send it again. Nice not to have to distribute the source.

>>  I'll probably include your script in the next build I  do
>>

> Cool.
>
> I wonder if we could talk Frank Wochatz (of ePDF fame) into building a
> front-end for AntiWord. :)

Might be worth trying. I just about never get DOC files anymore so
haven't been worried about it.
It shouldn't be that hard to write a script that outputs the postscript
and then calls gsview to display it and IIRC gsview (or ghostscript) can
also convert it to a PDF.
Dave