plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Ken Yap-2
> If you have access to a OSX machine and are willing to provide nightly
> builds or only a one-time build for the FF3 release, I could give you
> our build script, which should take care of everything.

I have access to this machine once a week, next time is Friday 27th.
But if it can be done over a ssh connection I could do it remotely. I
could do a one time build if it's not too complicated. What sources do
I need to get? I'll also need a crash course in XPI building, I've
never done one before, though I have compiled other software.

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Philipp Wagner-4
Klotz, Leigh schrieb:
> I saved the file to disk and loaded from there and it installed.
> So perhaps it's a MIME type problem?

It's a Firefox cache problem. Clear your cache and it works.

> I haven't verified that it works yet; some simple examples work but
> xmlmail doesn't.  It doesn't do any network request for submission, just
> fails.

Yes, I also noticed some problems. My first guess is that
schemavalidation is not yet working as it should, I'll do more
investigation this afternoon.

Philipp

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Premkumar  Natarajan
Hi :

I have an osx at my home (leopard), I can build the system if you wish, let
me know what to do.

cheers
Prem

Philipp Wagner schrieb:
> Klotz, Leigh schrieb:
>> I haven't verified that it works yet; some simple examples work but
>> xmlmail doesn't.  It doesn't do any network request for submission, just
>> fails.
>
> Yes, I also noticed some problems. My first guess is that
> schemavalidation is not yet working as it should, I'll do more
> investigation this afternoon.

Investigation successful :) Building schema-validation with a static CRT
did the trick. The updated patch is inside bug #440733.

Please give it another try to see if it works correctly now, but at
least I don't see the crash on the insurance sample form any more.

Philipp (*hoping that this build-marathon finally ends*)

On Jun 22, 7:51 am, Philipp Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Investigation successful :) Building schema-validation with a static CRT
> did the trick. The updated patch is inside bug #440733.
>
> Please give it another try to see if it works correctly now, but at
> least I don't see the crash on the insurance sample form any more.
>
> Philipp (*hoping that this build-marathon finally ends*)

Unfortunately the latest build doesn't work on Kubuntu's firefox3. I
think the fault is Ubuntu's as the versions are different.

The generic Linux package from mozilla.com is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008052912
Firefox/3.0

The Ubuntu package is:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.9) Gecko/2008061015
Firefox/3.0

I wonder if there is a way to make a more widely accepted XPI.

The Windows version (on XP SP2) shows part of the form, but after a
certain point, the tabbed sections contain nothing. Same thing with
the Linux version that works.

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Philipp Wagner-4
Hi,

Ken Yap schrieb:
> Unfortunately the latest build doesn't work on Kubuntu's firefox3. I
> think the fault is Ubuntu's as the versions are different.
 >
> I wonder if there is a way to make a more widely accepted XPI.

please file this as a bug with Ubuntu. They need to stay compatible with
the official firefox builds, not the other way around. If there is an
easy solution which makes the XForms xpi work on both builds, I'll apply
it of course, but I don't do too much investigation on this issue.

> The Windows version (on XP SP2) shows part of the form, but after a
> certain point, the tabbed sections contain nothing. Same thing with
> the Linux version that works.

Could you please post the exact steps to reproduce this issue?

Philipp

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Ken Yap-2
> > The Windows version (on XP SP2) shows part of the form, but after a
> > certain point, the tabbed sections contain nothing. Same thing with
> > the Linux version that works.
>
> Could you please post the exact steps to reproduce this issue?

I'll try. It's a very long form (1700 lines) and quite a lot of work
to make it standalone.

Prem wrote:
> I have an osx at my home (leopard), I can build the system if you wish, let
> me know what to do.

First, make sure you can build Mozilla using the official instructions at
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Build_Documentation and
http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Mac_OS_X_Build_Prerequisites

If that works, download our build scripts at
http://philipp.wagner.name/mozilla-xforms/mozbuild-nightly.tar.bz2

You may need to adjust the mozconfig_release.txt file (this is the
mozconfig used by the build script). The current version works for
Windows and Linux, if you need to make any adjustments, please mail them
to me so that I can incorporate them into our script.

There is a README file containing more instructions, but in the end, to
build a FF3 release build, run
./buildMozilla release FIREFOX_3_0_RELEASE

Please drop me a message at [hidden email] for an upload key.

Philipp

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Ken Yap-2
> I'll try. It's a very long form (1700 lines) and quite a lot of work
> to make it standalone.

Ok, started to create an environment for testing FF3 with my XForm.
One thing that I noticed when I clicked on a button that invokes a JS
script to create a popup window is this warning in the Error Console.

Warning: Use of getBoxObjectFor() is deprecated. Try to use
element.getBoundingClientRect() if possible.

I've checked the source of TinyMCE which is the other possible origin
of this warning, and they don't use getBoxObjectFor() but
getBoundingClientRect().

Is it possible the C code for XForms needs some attention?

I doubt if this is related to my problem with tabbed sections not
appearing after a certain point in the form though. I'm pursuing a
hypothesis to do with nested switches at the moment.

Ken Yap wrote:
> Is it possible the C code for XForms needs some attention?

XForms trunk (FF3) is not as stable yet as the FF2 version is. One of
the most visible bugs are the broken dropdown lists in Windows. Even
though I can provide a build which works with FF3, it is still not an
official release, but a snapshot which happens to work with FF3.

Philipp