plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Ken Yap-2
Now that Firefox3 has reached RC1, does anybody know the plans to
release matching a XForms add-on when 3.0 is released? I see some
people have had success compiling XForms to go with Firefox3. Any
chance of providing an XForms version for testers?

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Aaron Reed
We certainly plan to release something for FF3, but it seems like no one
has had any free time to do the work.  Last time I checked the builds
worked.  If someone has the free cycles to spin an optimized build off
of the rc1 branch (on at least Linux and Windows) and do some testing, I
can get it onto addons when I get back from vacation (first week of
June).  Or post your results here and maybe Olli or Doron can get the
.xpis from you and put them onto addons before then.

--Aaron

Ken Yap wrote:
> Now that Firefox3 has reached RC1, does anybody know the plans to
> release matching a XForms add-on when 3.0 is released? I see some
> people have had success compiling XForms to go with Firefox3. Any
> chance of providing an XForms version for testers?

RE: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Klotz, Leigh
I still get
 Mozilla XForms 0.8.5 could not be installed because it is not
compatible with Firefox 3.0.
from
 http://phillipp.wagner.name/mozilla-xforms/nightly
when clicking on
 xforms_latest.xpi

The Firefox 3 FCS build says 2008052906 in Windows but the xforms XPIs
at the above site go back only to 20080605.

Leigh.

Ken Yap wrote:
> Now that Firefox3 has reached RC1, does anybody know the plans to
> release matching a XForms add-on when 3.0 is released? I see some
> people have had success compiling XForms to go with Firefox3. Any
> chance of providing an XForms version for testers?

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Aaron Reed
Hey Leigh,

To work with Firefox 3.0 you'd need a nightly compiled against that
branch rather than a trunk nightly.  Since we already knew that the
nightlies weren't working with release candidates, it is a little too
much to hope that they'd work with the actual release :)

We definitely plan to put out something for Firefox 3 but I'm too
swamped right now with 'work work' to get to it.

Sorry that I don't have better news,
--Aaron

Klotz, Leigh wrote:

> I still get
>  Mozilla XForms 0.8.5 could not be installed because it is not
> compatible with Firefox 3.0.
> from
>  http://phillipp.wagner.name/mozilla-xforms/nightly
> when clicking on
>  xforms_latest.xpi
>
> The Firefox 3 FCS build says 2008052906 in Windows but the xforms XPIs
> at the above site go back only to 20080605.
>
> Leigh.

Philipp Wagner-4
Klotz, Leigh wrote:

> I still get
>  Mozilla XForms 0.8.5 could not be installed because it is not
> compatible with Firefox 3.0.
> from
>  http://phillipp.wagner.name/mozilla-xforms/nightly
> when clicking on
>  xforms_latest.xpi
>
> The Firefox 3 FCS build says 2008052906 in Windows but the xforms XPIs
> at the above site go back only to 20080605.

We're working on it ;-) I just uploaded a version which works with the
released version of Firefox 3, at least on Linux. The Windows build is
currently not working, even though a build from the same source works on
Linux... No idea where the problem is yet, but I'm pretty confident that
I'll get it working over the weekend.

Another thing: it seems that mozilla is moving to mercury for firefox
3.1 branch (trunk). What does that mean for XForms? I guess development
for the 1.8 branch will continue in the corresponding CVS branch, but
what's with "trunk" development? I guess there will be no separate
branch which follows the Firefox 3.0.* releases?

Philipp

RE: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Klotz, Leigh
I tried http://xformstest.org/2007/03/xmlmail/ and it works, on Linux.
Leigh.

>  Mozilla XForms 0.8.5 could not be installed because it is not
> compatible with Firefox 3.0.
> from
>  http://phillipp.wagner.name/mozilla-xforms/nightly
> when clicking on
>  xforms_latest.xpi
>
> The Firefox 3 FCS build says 2008052906 in Windows but the xforms XPIs

> at the above site go back only to 20080605.

We're working on it ;-) I just uploaded a version which works with the
released version of Firefox 3, at least on Linux. The Windows build is
currently not working, even though a build from the same source works on
Linux... No idea where the problem is yet, but I'm pretty confident that
I'll get it working over the weekend.

Another thing: it seems that mozilla is moving to mercury for firefox
3.1 branch (trunk). What does that mean for XForms? I guess development
for the 1.8 branch will continue in the corresponding CVS branch, but
what's with "trunk" development? I guess there will be no separate
branch which follows the Firefox 3.0.* releases?

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Aaron Reed
The mercurial thing is a pain in the arse for me, personally.  I have
little free time as it is and almost no interest in learning to use
ANOTHER source control system.  But we can't check into the FF3 and FF2
branches unless we check into the trunk first.  FF2 will go out of
support within 6-9 months if I had to guess so something will have to give.

As for Windows not working, if you aren't building with the vista sdk,
you have to put --disable-vista-sdk-requirement in your .mozconfig.  But
since you are able to do trunk builds, you probably already know that.
If you do have that set, it might be a problem running that .xpi on the
release build which may have been built with vista sdk.  Course this is
just guesswork.  I haven't tried it myself, yet.

--Aaron

Philipp Wagner wrote:

> Klotz, Leigh wrote:
>> I still get
>>  Mozilla XForms 0.8.5 could not be installed because it is not
>> compatible with Firefox 3.0.
>> from
>>  http://phillipp.wagner.name/mozilla-xforms/nightly
>> when clicking on
>>  xforms_latest.xpi
>>
>> The Firefox 3 FCS build says 2008052906 in Windows but the xforms XPIs
>> at the above site go back only to 20080605.
>
> We're working on it ;-) I just uploaded a version which works with the
> released version of Firefox 3, at least on Linux. The Windows build is
> currently not working, even though a build from the same source works on
> Linux... No idea where the problem is yet, but I'm pretty confident that
> I'll get it working over the weekend.
>
> Another thing: it seems that mozilla is moving to mercury for firefox
> 3.1 branch (trunk). What does that mean for XForms? I guess development
> for the 1.8 branch will continue in the corresponding CVS branch, but
> what's with "trunk" development? I guess there will be no separate
> branch which follows the Firefox 3.0.* releases?
>
> Philipp

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Philipp Wagner-4
Hi,

Aaron Reed wrote:
> The mercurial thing is a pain in the arse for me, personally.  I have
> little free time as it is and almost no interest in learning to use
> ANOTHER source control system.  But we can't check into the FF3 and FF2
> branches unless we check into the trunk first.  FF2 will go out of
> support within 6-9 months if I had to guess so something will have to give.

Especially since mercurial seems to be really intuitive and there's
almost no chance that you can break something with a wrong command :-)
(looking at http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Mercurial_basics)

> As for Windows not working, if you aren't building with the vista sdk,
> you have to put --disable-vista-sdk-requirement in your .mozconfig.  But
> since you are able to do trunk builds, you probably already know that.
> If you do have that set, it might be a problem running that .xpi on the
> release build which may have been built with vista sdk.  Course this is
> just guesswork.  I haven't tried it myself, yet.

I got it working, the problem was somewhere between --enable-canvas,
--enable-optimize and what else ...
So please give the XPI at
http://philipp.wagner.name/mozilla-xforms/cvstag/xforms_FIREFOX_3_0_RELEASE.xpi
a try, it works here on FF3 (released version) with Windows Vista and
Linux x86.

Philipp

RE: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Klotz, Leigh
This passes the xmlmail smoke test on Windows XP.
Great news!
Thanks,
Leigh.

> The mercurial thing is a pain in the arse for me, personally.  I have
> little free time as it is and almost no interest in learning to use
> ANOTHER source control system.  But we can't check into the FF3 and
> FF2 branches unless we check into the trunk first.  FF2 will go out of

> support within 6-9 months if I had to guess so something will have to
give.

Especially since mercurial seems to be really intuitive and there's
almost no chance that you can break something with a wrong command :-)
(looking at http://developer.mozilla.org/en/docs/Mercurial_basics)

> As for Windows not working, if you aren't building with the vista sdk,

> you have to put --disable-vista-sdk-requirement in your .mozconfig.
> But since you are able to do trunk builds, you probably already know
that.
> If you do have that set, it might be a problem running that .xpi on
> the release build which may have been built with vista sdk.  Course
> this is just guesswork.  I haven't tried it myself, yet.

I got it working, the problem was somewhere between --enable-canvas,
--enable-optimize and what else ...
So please give the XPI at
http://philipp.wagner.name/mozilla-xforms/cvstag/xforms_FIREFOX_3_0_RELE
ASE.xpi
a try, it works here on FF3 (released version) with Windows Vista and
Linux x86.

Philipp

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

le_cheffe

"Philipp Wagner" <[hidden email]> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
news:[hidden email]...
> I got it working, the problem was somewhere
> between --enable-canvas, --enable-optimize and what else ...
> So please give the XPI at
> http://philipp.wagner.name/mozilla-xforms/cvstag/xforms_FIREFOX_3_0_RELEASE.xpi
> a try, it works here on FF3 (released version) with Windows Vista and
> Linux x86.
>
> Philipp

Hi Philipp,

I tried this on Firefox 3 portable and it installed correctly.
Then I tried a more complex page, but the complete page was displayed,
instead of some parts of it. Seems, this version doesn't support
trigger-toggle and switch-case.
See
http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/03-dynamic-forms/10-switch-case/XForm.xhtml.
This doesn't look like it should.

Regards

Joachim

RE: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Klotz, Leigh

Unless I'm missing something, this page renders OK for me on FF3 on
Windows.

I get View One, View Two, and View Three buttons, and each one switches
to a different box with the same name, and repeated text content of "One
One One...," "Two Two Two...," or "Three Three Three..."

Leigh.

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Aaron Reed

Hi Philipp,

I tried your .xpi and it didn't work on my Windows XP machine with FF
3.0.  Looks like the xforms.dll you generate depends on msvcr90.dll.

--Aaron

Aaron Reed schrieb:
> I tried your .xpi and it didn't work on my Windows XP machine with FF
> 3.0.  Looks like the xforms.dll you generate depends on msvcr90.dll.

Thanks Aaron, that might be the reason why it worked on my build machine
but not on the other Vista machine... No idea why that DLL is required,
I'll try rebuilding with VS 2005 and see if that works better (I think
that's the version the official Firefox build was done with).

Philipp

On Jun 20, 6:58 am, Philipp Wagner <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Aaron Reed schrieb:
>
> > I tried your .xpi and it didn't work on my Windows XP machine with FF
> > 3.0.  Looks like the xforms.dll you generate depends on msvcr90.dll.
>
> Thanks Aaron, that might be the reason why it worked on my build machine
> but not on the other Vista machine... No idea why that DLL is required,
> I'll try rebuilding with VS 2005 and see if that works better (I think
> that's the version the official Firefox build was done with).
>
> Philipp

Hi, didn't work for me on a Window machine either, it showed the
entire form without the tabbed sections and controls didn't appear.
Here are the errors from the Error Console:

Failed to load XPCOM component: C:\Documents and Settings\joeblow
\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\fdnr33tj.Usyd\extensions\
{cf2812dc-6a7c-4402-b639-4d277dac4c36}\platform\WINNT_x86-msvc
\components\schemval.dll

Failed to load XPCOM component: C:\Documents and Settings\joeblow
\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\fdnr33tj.Usyd\extensions\
{cf2812dc-6a7c-4402-b639-4d277dac4c36}\platform\WINNT_x86-msvc
\components\xforms.dll

This is on XP Pro SP2.

Thanks for the effort to supply an XForms XPI for FF3, it's
appreciated.

Re: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Ken Yap-2
> This is on XP Pro SP2.

Doesn't work on Mac OS/X 10.5. Same problem, full form appears and no
tabbed sections. But no errors about missing DLLs or similar in Error
Console.

I'll try this complex form on Linux later today.

On Jun 20, 1:10 pm, Ken Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > This is on XP Pro SP2.
>
> Doesn't work on Mac OS/X 10.5. Same problem, full form appears and no
> tabbed sections. But no errors about missing DLLs or similar in Error
> Console.
>
> I'll try this complex form on Linux later today.

The Linux version of the XPI is the only one for which the form works
like it used to on FF2.

Hope this helps diagnosis. Sorry I can't post the form, it belongs to
my employer. Also it's nearly 1700 lines long and contains external
references to models, stylesheets, etc, that would be a pain to
remove. But perhaps the problem can be demonstrated with one of those
examples with tabbed sections. And the controls don't work, perhaps
that's a clue. It feels like what used to happen with a version
mismatch.

Philipp Wagner wrote:
> Aaron Reed schrieb:
>> I tried your .xpi and it didn't work on my Windows XP machine with FF
>> 3.0.  Looks like the xforms.dll you generate depends on msvcr90.dll.
>
> Thanks Aaron, that might be the reason why it worked on my build machine
> but not on the other Vista machine... No idea why that DLL is required,
> I'll try rebuilding with VS 2005 and see if that works better (I think
> that's the version the official Firefox build was done with).

So, after some more digging, here's the result:

I've built the extension using the patch in that bugzilla entry and
updated the XForms build on my homepage (the FF3 "release" one), so
please give it a try.

I also noticed that that sample form:
http://www.mozilla.org/projects/xforms/samples/insurance_form/app_certificates.xhtml
crashes Firefox with that extension. I didn't try it yet using Linux.

Philipp

Ken Yap schrieb:
> On Jun 20, 1:10 pm, Ken Yap <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> This is on XP Pro SP2.

Please give it another try on Windows. I've adjusted the build a bit and
it should work now without the need of some special dll, which wasn't
available on your system probably.

>> Doesn't work on Mac OS/X 10.5. Same problem, full form appears and no
>> tabbed sections. But no errors about missing DLLs or similar in Error
>> Console.

as expected. There is no Mac build, as
http://philipp.wagner.name/mozilla-xforms/cvstag/xforms_FIREFOX_3_0_RELEASE_README.txt
points out.
If you have access to a OSX machine and are willing to provide nightly
builds or only a one-time build for the FF3 release, I could give you
our build script, which should take care of everything.

>> I'll try this complex form on Linux later today.
>
> The Linux version of the XPI is the only one for which the form works
> like it used to on FF2.

expected, but good to hear that it works for other people, too :)

Philipp

RE: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Klotz, Leigh
It was working for me on Windows yesterday but to test your new one, I
uninstalled it and tried the new one and I get a popup that says this:

Firefix could insatll the file at
http://philipp.wagner.name/mozilla-xforms/cvstag/xforms_FIREFOX_3_0_RELE
ASE.xpi
because: Not a valid install package
-207

Leigh.

RE: plans for XForms with Firefox3?

Klotz, Leigh
I saved the file to disk and loaded from there and it installed.
So perhaps it's a MIME type problem?

I haven't verified that it works yet; some simple examples work but
xmlmail doesn't.  It doesn't do any network request for submission, just
fails.