outfox: speech, sound, and more for Firefox

outfox: speech, sound, and more for Firefox

Gary Bishop
Just a quick note to make sure you all know about our new extension
for Firefox. It enables access to platform speech, sound, and
eventually things like Joysticks from Javascript running in a page.
We're looking at making Firefox our platform for delivering accessible
games and applications for kids with disabilities.

You can read more about it on my blog at
http://wwwx.cs.unc.edu/~gb/wp/blog/2008/07/27/outfox-speech-sound-and-more-for-firefox/

We're gradually assembling demos. I'll post a pointer to a prototype
implementation of Hark the Sound (our sound game for kids who are
visually impaired) in a day or so.

Re: outfox: speech, sound, and more for Firefox

Willie Walker
Hi Gary:

Interesting stuff!  I went to the site, but nothing seemed to work for
me. :-(  I'm assuming this is a Windows-only solution that requires SAPI
support for TTS?

Will

Gary Bishop wrote:

> Just a quick note to make sure you all know about our new extension
> for Firefox. It enables access to platform speech, sound, and
> eventually things like Joysticks from Javascript running in a page.
> We're looking at making Firefox our platform for delivering accessible
> games and applications for kids with disabilities.
>
> You can read more about it on my blog at
> http://wwwx.cs.unc.edu/~gb/wp/blog/2008/07/27/outfox-speech-sound-and-more-for-firefox/
>
> We're gradually assembling demos. I'll post a pointer to a prototype
> implementation of Hark the Sound (our sound game for kids who are
> visually impaired) in a day or so.

Re: outfox: speech, sound, and more for Firefox

Carolina Computer Assistive Technology
Hi Will,

Outfox should work on Windows, OS X, and Linux. Instructions about
installing the extension for your platform can be found here:
http://code.google.com/p/outfox/wiki/GettingStarted.

There is extra work involved in getting Outfox working on the many
flavors of *nix. We'd appreciate your feedback if you run into trouble
or notice a missing pre-req.