opendialog maximized?

HStiglitz
Can anyone tell me if there is a way to use opendialog so that
the windows that open up are automatically maximized?

In the xul for the dialog I have:
persist="screenX screenY width height"

And in the js file for the dialog I usually have:
window.openDialog('chrome://some.xul',"","chrome,modal,dialog=no,centerscreen,resizable,minimizable"
..

That works ok but in order to maximize that window, I have to
set a timeout and watch for the window opening, then maximize
it.  And it doesn't always work depending how busy the cpu is.

Is there an option to have the dialog be automatically opened
maximized?  Thanks

Re: opendialog maximized?

Neil-4
HStiglitz wrote:

> Can anyone tell me if there is a way to use opendialog so that the
> windows that open up are automatically maximized?
>
> In the xul for the dialog I have:
> persist="screenX screenY width height"
>
> And in the js file for the dialog I usually have:
> window.openDialog('chrome://some.xul',"","chrome,modal,dialog=no,centerscreen,resizable,minimizable"
> ..
>
> That works ok but in order to maximize that window, I have to set a
> timeout and watch for the window opening, then maximize it.  And it
> doesn't always work depending how busy the cpu is.
>
> Is there an option to have the dialog be automatically opened
> maximized?  Thanks

Try <window sizemode="maximised">
https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/XUL/Attribute/sizemode

Of course if you want to remember if someone restores the window so that
it doesn't open maximised the next time then you should add sizemode to
the persist options.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.

Re: opendialog maximized?

HStiglitz
On 6/22/2013 11:48 AM, Neil wrote:

> HStiglitz wrote:
>
>> Can anyone tell me if there is a way to use opendialog so
>> that the windows that open up are automatically maximized?
>>
>> In the xul for the dialog I have:
>> persist="screenX screenY width height"
>>
>> And in the js file for the dialog I usually have:
>> window.openDialog('chrome://some.xul',"","chrome,modal,dialog=no,centerscreen,resizable,minimizable"
>> ..
>>
>> That works ok but in order to maximize that window, I have to
>> set a timeout and watch for the window opening, then maximize
>> it.  And it doesn't always work depending how busy the cpu is.
>>
>> Is there an option to have the dialog be automatically opened
>> maximized?  Thanks
>
> Try <window sizemode="maximised">
> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/XUL/Attribute/sizemode
>
> Of course if you want to remember if someone restores the
> window so that it doesn't open maximised the next time then you
> should add sizemode to the persist options.

Thanks Neil.  Does sizemode apply to dialogs or just windows?
I can't find any examples of its use in conjunction with
opendialog.

Re: opendialog maximized?

Neil-4
HStiglitz wrote:

> On 6/22/2013 11:48 AM, Neil wrote:
>
>> HStiglitz wrote:
>>
>>> Can anyone tell me if there is a way to use opendialog so that the
>>> windows that open up are automatically maximized?
>>>
>>> In the xul for the dialog I have:
>>> persist="screenX screenY width height"
>>>
>>> And in the js file for the dialog I usually have:
>>> window.openDialog('chrome://some.xul',"","chrome,modal,dialog=no,centerscreen,resizable,minimizable"
>>>
>>> ..
>>>
>>> That works ok but in order to maximize that window, I have to set a
>>> timeout and watch for the window opening, then maximize it.  And it
>>> doesn't always work depending how busy the cpu is.
>>>
>>> Is there an option to have the dialog be automatically opened
>>> maximized?  Thanks
>>
>> Try <window sizemode="maximised">
>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/XUL/Attribute/sizemode
>>
>> Of course if you want to remember if someone restores the window so
>> that it doesn't open maximised the next time then you should add
>> sizemode to the persist options.
>
> Thanks Neil.  Does sizemode apply to dialogs or just windows? I can't
> find any examples of its use in conjunction with opendialog.

I'm not 100% sure but I think dialogs aren't maximisable, although
you're passing dialog=no to openDialog, so you're getting a regular
maximisable window anyway.

On 6/23/2013 3:25 PM, Neil wrote:

> HStiglitz wrote:

>>> Try <window sizemode="maximised">
>>> https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/XUL/Attribute/sizemode
>>>
>>> Of course if you want to remember if someone restores the
>>> window so that it doesn't open maximised the next time then
>>> you should add sizemode to the persist options.
>>
>> Thanks Neil.  Does sizemode apply to dialogs or just windows?
>> I can't find any examples of its use in conjunction with
>> opendialog.
>
> I'm not 100% sure but I think dialogs aren't maximisable,
> although you're passing dialog=no to openDialog, so you're
> getting a regular maximisable window anyway.

Yes, my window is maximizable on account of setting
"dialog=no".  So how would I set it to open maximized
automatically so I don't have to click the maximize button?  Is
there no setting for that?

I tried sizemode="maximised" in both the xul file and the js
file without success.  Thanks

Re: opendialog maximized?

Neil-4
HStiglitz wrote:

> On 6/23/2013 3:25 PM, Neil wrote:
>
>> HStiglitz wrote:

>>> Thanks Neil.  Does sizemode apply to dialogs or just windows? I
>>> can't find any examples of its use in conjunction with opendialog.
>>
>> I'm not 100% sure but I think dialogs aren't maximisable, although
>> you're passing dialog=no to openDialog, so you're getting a regular
>> maximisable window anyway.
>
> Yes, my window is maximizable on account of setting "dialog=no".  So
> how would I set it to open maximized automatically so I don't have to
> click the maximize button?  Is there no setting for that?
>
> I tried sizemode="maximised" in both the xul file and the js file
> without success.  Thanks

Yes, that wouldn't work. Sorry for spelling it in en-GB; you'll need to
try spelling it in en-US, as per the page I linked to.

On 6/25/2013 4:08 AM, Neil wrote:

> HStiglitz wrote:

>>> I'm not 100% sure but I think dialogs aren't maximisable,
>>> although you're passing dialog=no to openDialog, so you're
>>> getting a regular maximisable window anyway.
>>
>> Yes, my window is maximizable on account of setting
>> "dialog=no".  So how would I set it to open maximized
>> automatically so I don't have to click the maximize button?
>> Is there no setting for that?
>>
>> I tried sizemode="maximised" in both the xul file and the js
>> file without success.  Thanks
>
> Yes, that wouldn't work. Sorry for spelling it in en-GB; you'll
> need to try spelling it in en-US, as per the page I linked to.

Can't believe I missed that - usually I have have a sharp eye
for such things.  Damn yanks!  I'll report back after I try it.
  Cheers!

Re: opendialog maximized?

HStiglitz
On 6/25/2013 2:35 PM, HStiglitz wrote:

> On 6/25/2013 4:08 AM, Neil wrote:
>> HStiglitz wrote:

>>> Yes, my window is maximizable on account of setting
>>> "dialog=no".  So how would I set it to open maximized
>>> automatically so I don't have to click the maximize button?
>>> Is there no setting for that?
>>>
>>> I tried sizemode="maximised" in both the xul file and the js
>>> file without success.  Thanks
>>
>> Yes, that wouldn't work. Sorry for spelling it in en-GB; you'll
>> need to try spelling it in en-US, as per the page I linked to.
>
> Can't believe I missed that - usually I have have a sharp eye
> for such things.  Damn yanks!  I'll report back after I try it.
>   Cheers!

OK, I just tried sizemode=maximized in both the xul and js
files and it didn't work.  Cleared the cache each time.  Any
other ideas?  Thx

Re: opendialog maximized?

Neil-4
HStiglitz wrote:

> On 6/25/2013 2:35 PM, HStiglitz wrote:

>>> Yes, that wouldn't work. Sorry for spelling it in en-GB; you'll need
>>> to try spelling it in en-US, as per the page I linked to.
>>
>> Can't believe I missed that - usually I have have a sharp eye for
>> such things.  Damn yanks!  I'll report back after I try it.
>
> OK, I just tried sizemode=maximized in both the xul and js files and
> it didn't work.  Cleared the cache each time.  Any other ideas?  Thx

I just realised that centerscreen turns off maximized...

On 7/8/2013 4:43 PM, Neil wrote:

> HStiglitz wrote:

>>> Can't believe I missed that - usually I have have a sharp
>>> eye for such things.  Damn yanks!  I'll report back after I
>>> try it.
>>
>> OK, I just tried sizemode=maximized in both the xul and js
>> files and it didn't work.  Cleared the cache each time.  Any
>> other ideas?  Thx
>
> I just realised that centerscreen turns off maximized...

Thanks Neil.  I took out centerscreen but it makes no
difference - I still can't opendialog to maximized.  Have you
actually gotten it to work?

Re: opendialog maximized?

Neil-4
HStiglitz wrote:

> On 7/8/2013 4:43 PM, Neil wrote:
>
>> HStiglitz wrote:

>>> OK, I just tried sizemode=maximized in both the xul and js files and
>>> it didn't work.  Cleared the cache each time.  Any other ideas?  Thx
>>
>> I just realised that centerscreen turns off maximized...
>
> Thanks Neil.  I took out centerscreen but it makes no difference - I
> still can't opendialog to maximized.  Have you actually gotten it to
> work?

Yes, but while trying to get it to work I noticed that it's very easy to
accidentally disable sizemode by changing the window's position or size.

The window I was testing on is the update prompt checker:
Components.classes['@mozilla.org/updates/update-prompt;1'].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIUpdatePrompt).checkForUpdates();

This calls a routine in nsUpdateService.js called _showUI, however this
normally centerscreen and resizeable=no so I had to remove those and
then once I added sizemode="maximized" to updates.xul and the window
opened maximised. Obviously you shouldn't have to go to those lengths
for your own window but I didn't want to go to the trouble of creating a
new window just to test opening it maximised.

On 7/10/2013 1:39 AM, Neil wrote:

> HStiglitz wrote:

>>> I just realised that centerscreen turns off maximized...
>>
>> Thanks Neil.  I took out centerscreen but it makes no
>> difference - I still can't opendialog to maximized.  Have you
>> actually gotten it to work?
>
> Yes, but while trying to get it to work I noticed that it's
> very easy to accidentally disable sizemode by changing the
> window's position or size.
>
> The window I was testing on is the update prompt checker:
> Components.classes['@mozilla.org/updates/update-prompt;1'].getService(Components.interfaces.nsIUpdatePrompt).checkForUpdates();
>

> This calls a routine in nsUpdateService.js called _showUI,
> however this normally centerscreen and resizeable=no so I had
> to remove those and then once I added sizemode="maximized" to
> updates.xul and the window opened maximised. Obviously you
> shouldn't have to go to those lengths for your own window but I
> didn't want to go to the trouble of creating a new window just
> to test opening it maximised.

Thanks again Neil.  Which dialog are you referring to here?  Is
it TB or FF, and which version?

I wonder if you could try this with SearchDialog.xul in TB.
This is the Search Messages dialog box which I'm having no
success getting to open maximized.  Thx

Re: opendialog maximized?

Neil-4
HStiglitz wrote:

> I wonder if you could try this with SearchDialog.xul in TB. This is
> the Search Messages dialog box which I'm having no success getting to
> open maximized.

This dialog remembers whether it was closed maximised, and only opens
maximised if it was. The only change you could make is to change the
default open state for people who have never opened the dialog before.
Setting sizemode="maximized" in the XUL should achieve this.

On 7/13/2013 9:52 AM, Neil wrote:

> HStiglitz wrote:
>
>> I wonder if you could try this with SearchDialog.xul in TB.
>> This is the Search Messages dialog box which I'm having no
>> success getting to open maximized.
>
> This dialog remembers whether it was closed maximised, and only
> opens maximised if it was. The only change you could make is to
> change the default open state for people who have never opened
> the dialog before. Setting sizemode="maximized" in the XUL
> should achieve this.

No dice.  I tried different combinations, including changing
window.openDialog to window.open, but couldn't get it to open
maximized.

If you are actually able to get it to work with SearchDialog,
please upload your files somewhere and point me to em.  Cheers

Re: opendialog maximized?

Neil-4
HStiglitz wrote:

> On 7/13/2013 9:52 AM, Neil wrote:
>
>> HStiglitz wrote:
>>
>>> I wonder if you could try this with SearchDialog.xul in TB. This is
>>> the Search Messages dialog box which I'm having no success getting
>>> to open maximized.
>>
>> This dialog remembers whether it was closed maximised, and only opens
>> maximised if it was. The only change you could make is to change the
>> default open state for people who have never opened the dialog
>> before. Setting sizemode="maximized" in the XUL should achieve this.
>
> No dice.  I tried different combinations, including changing
> window.openDialog to window.open, but couldn't get it to open maximized.
>
> If you are actually able to get it to work with SearchDialog, please
> upload your files somewhere and point me to em.  Cheers

I don't have to change any files. I just open it, maximise it, close it,
and from then on it opens maximised. (And it's centerscreen too, so so
much for that theory.)

On 7/16/2013 1:40 AM, Neil wrote:

> HStiglitz wrote:

>>> This dialog remembers whether it was closed maximised, and
>>> only opens maximised if it was. The only change you could
>>> make is to change the default open state for people who have
>>> never opened the dialog before. Setting sizemode="maximized"
>>> in the XUL should achieve this.
>>
>> No dice.  I tried different combinations, including changing
>> window.openDialog to window.open, but couldn't get it to open
>> maximized.
>>
>> If you are actually able to get it to work with SearchDialog,
>> please upload your files somewhere and point me to em.  Cheers
>
> I don't have to change any files. I just open it, maximise it,
> close it, and from then on it opens maximised. (And it's
> centerscreen too, so so much for that theory.)

Doesn't work for me.  Which version of Thunderbird?

Re: opendialog maximized?

Neil-4
HStiglitz wrote:

> On 7/16/2013 1:40 AM, Neil wrote:
>
>> HStiglitz wrote:
>>
>>> If you are actually able to get it to work with SearchDialog, please
>>> upload your files somewhere and point me to em.
>>
>> I don't have to change any files. I just open it, maximise it, close
>> it, and from then on it opens maximised.
>
> Doesn't work for me.

I got two other people to try; it worked for one, but not the other, so
I'm not sure what's going on here, sorry.

Neil wrote:

> HStiglitz wrote:

>>> I don't have to change any files. I just open it, maximise it, close
>>> it, and from then on it opens maximised.
>>
>> Doesn't work for me.
>
> I got two other people to try; it worked for one, but not the other,
> so I'm not sure what's going on here, sorry.

Curious; it worked on a new daily but not on an older beta.

--
Warning: May contain traces of nuts.