onward

Mikus Grinbergs
Tried the new Firefox 2 ("Bon Echo") alpha.  Worked for me.

mikus

Re: onward

Felix Miata-2
On 06/05/26 10:19 (GMT-0400) Peter Weilbacher apparently typed:

> The
> stupid new tab-close-button-on-every-tab is so irritating that I don't
> feel particularly compelled to download and test it myself...

Put in userChrome.css '.tab-close-button {display: none;}'.
--
"All have sinned & fall short of the glory of God." Romans 3:23 NIV

 Team OS/2 ** Reg. Linux User #211409

Felix Miata  ***  http://mrmazda.no-ip.com/

Re: onward

Walter Meinl

Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
> Tried the new Firefox 2 ("Bon Echo") alpha.  Worked for me.
>
> mikus

Does the Innotek javaplugins work (ipluginw.dll) on your system? When I
install it with "Bon Echo" or "Minefield", the browser window won't
come up after choosing my profile. Removing ipluginw.dll from the
components folder let me start the browser again. (I also removed the
plugin.dat, components.dat, xpti.dat from my profiles and also from the
firefox directories - no luck). I have no java problem with
firefox-1.5.0.2 though.

Re: onward

Felix Miata-2
On 06/05/26 13:06 (GMT-0400) Peter Weilbacher apparently typed:

> On Fri, 26 May 2006 14:56:14 UTC, Felix Miata wrote:

>> On 06/05/26 10:19 (GMT-0400) Peter Weilbacher apparently typed:

>> > The
>> > stupid new tab-close-button-on-every-tab is so irritating that I don't
>> > feel particularly compelled to download and test it myself...

>> Put in userChrome.css '.tab-close-button {display: none;}'.

> Sure, but how do I get it back at the same place it was before (on the
> right of the tab bar)? Is there already an extension to do that? It's
> really stupid: they offer a button to make a new tab but not a button to
> close the tab...

At this point I think the only way to get it back is to use SM or
1.5.0.x instead of FF2 or FF3.

There is a "button" now, but you have to click it twice. Right click the
tab, then click on close. :-p

Don't forget, Minefield and Bon Echo are still alpha software. That
stupidity could still be fixed before official release with enough
alpha/beta testers complaining about it. Surely there must be a bug on
it by now you could vote on and/or submit a patch to fix. ;-)

On Fri, 26 May 2006 09:19:49 -0500 "Peter Weilbacher" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Do all the new features like inline spell, download manager, and session
> restore, work well, too?

My reason for trying even alpha software is my expectation that for
OLD features the latest code will contain the latest improvements;
besides, if thare be changes, it lets me become aware of them sooner.

So no, I have NOT tried any "new" features.  I don't even know what
inline spell is - and why should I care - I don't use FireFox to
*write* anything.  Neither do I know what session restore is - but
it does not sound like anything I would need.  I don't depend on
anything in the download manager -- but what I do see appears to
function exactly the same way in FireFox 2 as in FireFox 1.

[BTW, if I can avoid it I do not install *any* 3rd-party extensions.]

> The stupid new tab-close-button-on-every-tab is so irritating that I
> don't feel particularly compelled to download and test it myself...

Oddly enough, I prefer the new close.  I really *do* have trouble
targeting the cursor on the screen, and innumerable times I have
clicked on the up-arrow in the scroll bar, only to find that the
current tab has closed (I unconsciously overshot the up-arrow and
ended up clicking on ths close button).  With the new tab close
location, it takes a *conscious* effort to find the button.  That
slows me down, but avoids unintended vanishing tabs.

mikus

Re: onward

Mikus Grinbergs
On 26 May 2006 08:10:02 -0700 "Walter Meinl" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Tried the new Firefox 2 ("Bon Echo") alpha.  Worked for me.
>
> Does the Innotek javaplugins work (ipluginw.dll) on your system?

Java applets work fine for me in "Bon Echo".  I do use ipluginw.dll.

mikus

Re: onward

Lewis Rosenthal
On 05/26/2006 10:19 am, Peter Weilbacher thus wrote :
> On Thu, 25 May 2006 12:50:59 UTC, Mikus Grinbergs wrote:
>
>> Tried the new Firefox 2 ("Bon Echo") alpha.  Worked for me.

<snip>
> The
> stupid new tab-close-button-on-every-tab is so irritating that I don't
> feel particularly compelled to download and test it myself...

;) PMFJI...

I'm tinkering with Minefield (FF3, alongside SM, as I really could not
do without the latter). On SM, I use MultiZilla, and specificaly do NOT
have it set that annoying close button on every tab. On FF (and now
FF3), I don't really use many extensions, so to overcome the blasted
thing, I just Ctrl-W to close the tab (after applying Felix's css hack
to make the extras disappear - thanks, Felix!).

--
Lewis
Lewis G Rosenthal, CNA, CLP, CLE