Senior Linux Applications Systems Engineer (NY)- 90035378
Firmwide Engineering & Architecture (FE&A) is a newly created function at JPMorgan Chase & Co. Its role is to continuously accelerate the speed at which the Firm's technology teams deliver best in class, high quality business solutions, via strong technology leadership, delivery of shared services, and the leverage of technology partnerships. It does this by changing the way the organization does work on a variety of fronts. One of those dimensions is the funding of new, innovative and game changing ideas. To do this, the FE&A team needs to gather ideas from a wide variety of sources, analyze their value, help shape them as business cases, and secure funding for them.
Within FE&A, there is a team called Innovation & Shared Services, whose goal is to provide a framework for creating, implementing, and evaluating innovative cross-functional and cross-divisional decisions that improve cost efficiency, productivity and competitive edge for all of JPMorgan Chase & Co. Part of this team's function is to incubate innovative and disruptive solutions that drive value to the firm. To that end, we invite you to participate in one of the latest incubation projects that involves engineering a next generation desktop solution leveraging latest innovations in the hardware, IP telephony, video acceleration, chipset, and open source software ecosystem.
As a Senior Linux Platform Systems Engineer, you will be involved in participating in the design through implementation and roll out of the aforementioned desktop solution. This is a high-visibility project and you will be responsible for delivery, integration, testing, and support of the JEDI end-user application software stack on Linux desktop OS across multiple H/W architecture (x86, ARM) thin client and nettop devices.
In this role, you will be responsible to:
* Deliver, integrate, test and support the JEDI end-user application software stack within JPMC's existing non-open source production infrastructure. Key integration elements to include:
o Microsoft Active Directory with JEDI end-user environment & applications.
o Network Appliance NAS & SMB file serving integration with OpenOffice toolset & Adobe Acrobat.
o Exchange back-end integration with Evolution & other open source email & calendaring clients
o Mozilla Firefox browser based and standalone 3270 mainframe terminal emulation
o HP's Managed Output Services
o IP telephony
o Wine emulation
o Others TBD
* Partner with Linux OS distribution providers to deliver above.
* Serve as primary team application engineering liaison with Linux OS distribution providers, JPMC JEDI Team, and JPMC GTI counterparts.
* Evaluate new thin client, MID, and mobile applications. Assist with the planning and design of future systems architecture.
* Develop and maintain documentation of created solutions
* 5+ years experience delivering open source based end user tools and applications into enterprise-like environments.
* Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science, Math, Engineering, and/or Physical sciences.
* Ubuntu or SuSE system administration experience major pluses. Certifications a plus.
* Knowledge of Mozilla Firefox browser plug-in development, application integration, and support.
* Internet Explorer to Firefox migration issues & tools experience significant plus.
* OpenOffice application support and content migration experience significant plus.
* Skilled in leading projects, especially in deploying live end-user systems.
* Proven technical troubleshooting & problem solving experience.
* Organized and detail-oriented.
* Strong written & verbal communication skills.
* Able to prioritize tasks and multi-task across workstreams.
* Able to work as part of a team as well as individually.
* Startup & early stage tech company and/or entrepreneurial experience a plus
This communication is for informational purposes only. It is not
intended as an offer or solicitation for the purchase or sale of
any financial instrument or as an official confirmation of any
transaction. All market prices, data and other information are not
warranted as to completeness or accuracy and are subject to change
without notice. Any comments or statements made herein do not
necessarily reflect those of JPMorgan Chase & Co., its subsidiaries
This transmission may contain information that is privileged,
confidential, legally privileged, and/or exempt from disclosure
under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or
use of the information contained herein (including any reliance
thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. Although this transmission and any
attachments are believed to be free of any virus or other defect
that might affect any computer system into which it is received and
opened, it is the responsibility of the recipient to ensure that it
is virus free and no responsibility is accepted by JPMorgan Chase &
Co., its subsidiaries and affiliates, as applicable, for any loss
or damage arising in any way from its use. If you received this
transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and
destroy the material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard
copy format. Thank you.