news server times out

jasonmycroft25
I start Agent 8.0 for Windows, newsreading software. I choose Tools/Servers and Accounts. I select news server "news.mozilla.org". I click "test connection" once, it's ok. A second time, it falls over with "operation timed out".

Please see;   http://cpm86.com/agent-mozilla-1.jpg

Agent support are blaming the news server; "You'll need to contact your Usenet provider with help setting up your usenet account."

Please advise, thank you

Re: news server times out

Philip Chee
On 06/08/2015 02:57, [hidden email] wrote:

> I start Agent 8.0 for Windows, newsreading software. I choose
> Tools/Servers and Accounts. I select news server "news.mozilla.org".
> I click "test connection" once, it's ok. A second time, it falls over
> with "operation timed out".
>
> Please see;   http://cpm86.com/agent-mozilla-1.jpg
>
> Agent support are blaming the news server; "You'll need to contact
> your Usenet provider with help setting up your usenet account."
>
> Please advise, thank you

1. This is the Thunderbird developer newsgroup. Server administration is
some other department.
2. Does this also happen with Thunderbird? If not then the problem is
with Agent.

Phil

--
Philip Chee <[hidden email]>, <[hidden email]>
http://flashblock.mozdev.org/ http://xsidebar.mozdev.org

Re: news server times out

jasonmycroft25
> 1. This is the Thunderbird developer newsgroup. Server administration is
> some other department.

If you could give me an email address or phone number for Mozilla news server admin, that would be helpful. I seldom post to "news.mozilla.org" and I don't know who is responsible for this server. I've been looking through the Mozilla website and can't find contact details.

> 2. Does this also happen with Thunderbird? If not then the problem is
> with Agent.

The support staff at Forte Agent point the finger at the Mozilla news server. They may be right to do so. Other news servers work fine.

Re: news server times out

Patrick Brunschwig-3
On 06.08.15 17:37, Philip Chee wrote:

> On 06/08/2015 02:57, [hidden email] wrote:
>> I start Agent 8.0 for Windows, newsreading software. I choose
>> Tools/Servers and Accounts. I select news server "news.mozilla.org".
>> I click "test connection" once, it's ok. A second time, it falls over
>> with "operation timed out".
>>
>> Please see;   http://cpm86.com/agent-mozilla-1.jpg
>>
>> Agent support are blaming the news server; "You'll need to contact
>> your Usenet provider with help setting up your usenet account."
>>
>> Please advise, thank you
>
> 1. This is the Thunderbird developer newsgroup. Server administration is
> some other department.
> 2. Does this also happen with Thunderbird? If not then the problem is
> with Agent.

It also happens with Thunderbird. I had the same issue for the last few
weeks.

-Patrick

Re: news server times out

ISHIKAWA,chiaki
On 2015年08月07日 05:04, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:

> On 06.08.15 17:37, Philip Chee wrote:
>> On 06/08/2015 02:57, [hidden email] wrote:
>>> I start Agent 8.0 for Windows, newsreading software. I choose
>>> Tools/Servers and Accounts. I select news server "news.mozilla.org".
>>> I click "test connection" once, it's ok. A second time, it falls over
>>> with "operation timed out".
>>>
>>> Please see;   http://cpm86.com/agent-mozilla-1.jpg
>>>
>>> Agent support are blaming the news server; "You'll need to contact
>>> your Usenet provider with help setting up your usenet account."
>>>
>>> Please advise, thank you
>>
>> 1. This is the Thunderbird developer newsgroup. Server administration is
>> some other department.
>> 2. Does this also happen with Thunderbird? If not then the problem is
>> with Agent.
>
> It also happens with Thunderbird. I had the same issue for the last few
> weeks.
>
> -Patrick

I observed a few things in the last 4-5 weeks.

Maybe a fluke depending on timing, but I could not post to the newsgroup
from a PC in one place, and
then I could from a different PC in a different place. I thought there could
be some router filtering based on DoS attacks from certain networks, etc.

After experiencing this a few times,
eventually, I tried to post to news mailing list instead of newsgroups.

The gateway between NGs and MLs are not true bi-directional path.
Some news groups do not seem to carry postings to the news mailing list.
So I prefer to post to NGs to reach wider audience.
But due to the news server access issue, I was forced to post to news
mailing list  a few times
in July.

It may be that the news server did have hiccups at certain times. But I am
not sure.

CI

Re: news server times out

jasonmycroft25
On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 9:04:39 PM UTC+1, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:

> It also happens with Thunderbird. I had the same issue for the last few
> weeks.
>
> -Patrick

Can anyone give me email or phone number for the news.mozilla.org server admins? Unless it's pointed out to them then they won't fix it. Thank you.

Re: news server times out

Onno Ekker-2
On 7 aug. 2015, at 15:55, [hidden email] wrote:

>> On Thursday, August 6, 2015 at 9:04:39 PM UTC+1, Patrick Brunschwig wrote:
>>
>> It also happens with Thunderbird. I had the same issue for the last few
>> weeks.
>>
>> -Patrick
>
> Can anyone give me email or phone number for the news.mozilla.org server admins? Unless it's pointed out to them then they won't fix it. Thank you.

Try filing a bug on bugzilla.mozilla.org, that's the normal way to report an error.
Or maybe irc.mozilla.org group #sysadmin or something similar…

Onno

smime.p7s (3K) Download Attachment