new Windows 10 update?

Frank-32
MS pestering to make some sort of change with apps and the like that
takes some time to do.  I turned it off and thought I'd ask here if
others have done it and whether or not it is worth it.

Thanks,
Frank

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Wolf K.
On 2017-12-21 08:11, Frank wrote:
> MS pestering to make some sort of change with apps and the like that
> takes some time to do.  I turned it off and thought I'd ask here if
> others have done it and whether or not it is worth it.
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

Ask in

alt.comp.os.windows-10

--
Wolf K
kirkwood40.blogspot.com

Re: new Windows 10 update?

WaltS48-8
On 12/21/17 8:11 AM, Frank wrote:
> MS pestering to make some sort of change with apps and the like that
> takes some time to do.  I turned it off and thought I'd ask here if
> others have done it and whether or not it is worth it.
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

Haven't received any update notices since the last Patch Tuesday. Only
get virus definition updates, but I only check my Windows notebook 3
times a week.

What changes? The Microsoft Store reliability update, the AMD legacy
card display issue update or other?

--
Coexist <https://www.coexist.org/>
Ubuntu 16.04LTS - Unity Desktop

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Frank-32
On 12/21/2017 8:40 AM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 12/21/17 8:11 AM, Frank wrote:
>> MS pestering to make some sort of change with apps and the like that
>> takes some time to do.  I turned it off and thought I'd ask here if
>> others have done it and whether or not it is worth it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Frank
>

> Haven't received any update notices since the last Patch Tuesday. Only
> get virus definition updates, but I only check my Windows notebook 3
> times a week.
>
> What changes? The Microsoft Store reliability update, the AMD legacy
> card display issue update or other?

They don't say.  I do their regular updates and question this one as
maybe not needed for security.  I know they are very annoying in trying
to wring more money from us.  They have an extremely annoying ad on
Minesweeper that you cannot avoid, you can turn the sound off but have
to let it run a couple of minutes as if you shut it off it comes back if
you try to play Minesweeper.

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Balaco ocalaB
Em 21-12-2017 12:07, Frank escreveu:
[...]
> They have an extremely annoying ad on
> Minesweeper that you cannot avoid, you can turn the sound off but have
> to let it run a couple of minutes as if you shut it off it comes back if
> you try to play Minesweeper.

I can only laugh at this: "Ads in the Minesweeper". What keeps you using
Windows instead of moving, possibly permanently (like I did several
years ago) to one of the miriad of linux distributions?

I have worked in a couple of places where I needed **indows to reproduce
and repeat problems pointed by a few clients. In my computer there, I
had a virtual machine for that, nothing beyound.

Hey, I have a gift for you:

Explore the page http://www.oldversion.com/games/mine-sweeper-xp-6-1

Brake your cuffs!

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Frank-32
On 12/21/2017 9:23 AM, Ocalab wrote:

> Em 21-12-2017 12:07, Frank escreveu:
> [...]
>> They have an extremely annoying ad on
>> Minesweeper that you cannot avoid, you can turn the sound off but have
>> to let it run a couple of minutes as if you shut it off it comes back if
>> you try to play Minesweeper.
>

> I can only laugh at this: "Ads in the Minesweeper". What keeps you using
> Windows instead of moving, possibly permanently (like I did several
> years ago) to one of the miriad of linux distributions?
>
> I have worked in a couple of places where I needed **indows to reproduce
> and repeat problems pointed by a few clients. In my computer there, I
> had a virtual machine for that, nothing beyound.
>
> Hey, I have a gift for you:
>
> Explore the page http://www.oldversion.com/games/mine-sweeper-xp-6-1
>
> Brake your cuffs!

I had considered old versions.

I stick to Windows as I do some online consulting and have to deal with
Windows systems including a remote desktop.  I was writing documents,
Safety Data Sheets, using Open Office and Libre Office and a change in
US requiring embedded symbols in the SDS's could not be seen by a client
using MS Word so I was forced to buy MS office to get him to see the
symbols.  I am not a computer person and would ditch Windows otherwise.

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Balaco ocalaB
Em 21-12-2017 12:43, Frank escreveu:

> On 12/21/2017 9:23 AM, Ocalab wrote:
>> Em 21-12-2017 12:07, Frank escreveu:
>> [...]
>>> They have an extremely annoying ad on
>>> Minesweeper that you cannot avoid, you can turn the sound off but have
>>> to let it run a couple of minutes as if you shut it off it comes back if
>>> you try to play Minesweeper.
>>

>> I can only laugh at this: "Ads in the Minesweeper". What keeps you
>> using Windows instead of moving, possibly permanently (like I did
>> several years ago) to one of the miriad of linux distributions?
>>
>> I have worked in a couple of places where I needed **indows to
>> reproduce and repeat problems pointed by a few clients. In my computer
>> there, I had a virtual machine for that, nothing beyound.
>>
>> Hey, I have a gift for you:
>>
>> Explore the page http://www.oldversion.com/games/mine-sweeper-xp-6-1
>>
>> Brake your cuffs!
>>

> I had considered old versions.

That is good. But what happened? It did not solve your "problem"?

> I stick to Windows as I do some online consulting and have to deal with
> Windows systems including a remote desktop.

I have used remote desktops with **indoze while I was using linux. That
is possible too, you know?

> I was writing documents, Safety Data Sheets, using Open Office and
> Libre Office and a change in US requiring embedded symbols in the
> SDS's could not be seen by a client using MS Word so I was forced to
> buy MS office to get him to see the symbols. I am not a computer
> person and would ditch Windows otherwise.

What kind of symbol was that? It is something very strange that it only
(and the "if" in this sentence stays correct in the end) opens in OOo.
Maybe this is something new you may discover.

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Frank-32
On 12/21/2017 12:01 PM, Ocalab wrote:

> Em 21-12-2017 12:43, Frank escreveu:
>> On 12/21/2017 9:23 AM, Ocalab wrote:
>>> Em 21-12-2017 12:07, Frank escreveu:
>>> [...]
>>>

>>> I can only laugh at this: "Ads in the Minesweeper". What keeps you
>>> using Windows instead of moving, possibly permanently (like I did
>>> several years ago) to one of the miriad of linux distributions?
>>>
>>> I have worked in a couple of places where I needed **indows to
>>> reproduce and repeat problems pointed by a few clients. In my computer
>>> there, I had a virtual machine for that, nothing beyound.
>>>
>>> Hey, I have a gift for you:
>>>
>>> Explore the page http://www.oldversion.com/games/mine-sweeper-xp-6-1
>>>
>>> Brake your cuffs!
>>>

>> I had considered old versions.
>>

> That is good. But what happened? It did not solve your "problem"?
>

>> I stick to Windows as I do some online consulting and have to deal with
>> Windows systems including a remote desktop.
>
> I have used remote desktops with **indoze while I was using linux. That
> is possible too, you know?
>
>> I was writing documents, Safety Data Sheets, using Open Office and
>> Libre Office and a change in US requiring embedded symbols in the
>> SDS's could not be seen by a client using MS Word so I was forced to
>> buy MS office to get him to see the symbols. I am not a computer
>> person and would ditch Windows otherwise.
>
> What kind of symbol was that? It is something very strange that it only
> (and the "if" in this sentence stays correct in the end) opens in OOo.
> Maybe this is something new you may discover.

Not the OSHA website I used, which has changed, but like these in Wiki

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GHS_hazard_pictograms

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Balaco ocalaB
Em 21-12-2017 15:08, Frank escreveu:

> On 12/21/2017 12:01 PM, Ocalab wrote:

>>> I had considered old versions.
>>>

>> That is good. But what happened? It did not solve your "problem"?
>>

>>> I stick to Windows as I do some online consulting and have to deal with
>>> Windows systems including a remote desktop.
>>
>> I have used remote desktops with **indoze while I was using linux.
>> That is possible too, you know?
>>
>>> I was writing documents, Safety Data Sheets, using Open Office and
>>> Libre Office and a change in US requiring embedded symbols in the
>>> SDS's could not be seen by a client using MS Word so I was forced to
>>> buy MS office to get him to see the symbols. I am not a computer
>>> person and would ditch Windows otherwise.
>>
>> What kind of symbol was that? It is something very strange that it
>> only (and the "if" in this sentence stays correct in the end) opens in
>> OOo. Maybe this is something new you may discover.
>
> Not the OSHA website I used, which has changed, but like these in Wiki
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GHS_hazard_pictograms

I think that *if* these pictures were added to an OOo document (as
pictures! Menu "Insert > Picture from file", or anything similar to
that) or in a MS-Word document *created and edited* in OOo, the
probability that everyone who opens this file in MS-Word (any version)
will be able to see all of it.

The only thing I was imagining, and I am still not sure it is not the
case, is: you used OOo with a font with these symbols that the client
did not have (the font!). The solution you found hid what actually
happened, which is mostly normal.

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Frank-32
On 12/21/2017 12:20 PM, Ocalab wrote:

> Em 21-12-2017 15:08, Frank escreveu:

>>> That is good. But what happened? It did not solve your "problem"?

>>> I have used remote desktops with **indoze while I was using linux.
>>> That is possible too, you know?

>>> What kind of symbol was that? It is something very strange that it
>>> only (and the "if" in this sentence stays correct in the end) opens in
>>> OOo. Maybe this is something new you may discover.
>>
>> Not the OSHA website I used, which has changed, but like these in Wiki
>>
>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GHS_hazard_pictograms
>
> I think that *if* these pictures were added to an OOo document (as
> pictures! Menu "Insert > Picture from file", or anything similar to
> that) or in a MS-Word document *created and edited* in OOo, the
> probability that everyone who opens this file in MS-Word (any version)
> will be able to see all of it.
>
> The only thing I was imagining, and I am still not sure it is not the
> case, is: you used OOo with a font with these symbols that the client
> did not have (the font!). The solution you found hid what actually
> happened, which is mostly normal.

There were no fonts in the symbols I used.  OSHA has taken down the
website but I had copied the whole thing and continue to use it.  I have
had no problem using MS Word.  Now using these symbols for over a year I
normally don't need different ones that I have not used and usually make
a new SDS by cloning a similar chemical with same warnings.

I need to use IE to access my main clients remote desk top in the UK.
Edge, Chrome or Firefox won't work.  I assume major problems if I tried
to set up with linux.

Glad you brought my attention to this as I had referenced the url to
OSHA in one of my web pages and will have to change it.

Frank

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Balaco ocalaB
Em 21-12-2017 15:45, Frank escreveu:

> On 12/21/2017 12:20 PM, Ocalab wrote:

>>> Not the OSHA website I used, which has changed, but like these in Wiki
>>>
>>> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GHS_hazard_pictograms
>>
>> I think that *if* these pictures were added to an OOo document (as
>> pictures! Menu "Insert > Picture from file", or anything similar to
>> that) or in a MS-Word document *created and edited* in OOo, the
>> probability that everyone who opens this file in MS-Word (any version)
>> will be able to see all of it.
>>
>> The only thing I was imagining, and I am still not sure it is not the
>> case, is: you used OOo with a font with these symbols that the client
>> did not have (the font!). The solution you found hid what actually
>> happened, which is mostly normal.
>
> There were no fonts in the symbols I used.  OSHA has taken down the
> website but I had copied the whole thing and continue to use it.  I have
> had no problem using MS Word.  Now using these symbols for over a year I
> normally don't need different ones that I have not used and usually make
> a new SDS by cloning a similar chemical with same warnings.

Frank, the problem you tell us you had with OOo may not exist with it
too. To me, someone who have used OOo for decades, the problem looks to
have a different reason.

Yet another way to get around the problem without using MS-Office: make
all the documents you eventually give to clients in OOo. But do not give
copies of their files to them! You will give clients the PDFs that you
export from OOo. Do you know how to do that? I have used this feature so
many times that I cannot even estimate how many times that happened!

> I need to use IE to access my main clients remote desk top in the UK.
> Edge, Chrome or Firefox won't work.  I assume major problems if I tried
> to set up with linux.

They won't work? Chrome is a browser I will *never* use - I will choose
a portable version of Firefox that I can open in any possible computer
or OS, but I will never use Chrome.

> Glad you brought my attention to this as I had referenced the url to
> OSHA in one of my web pages and will have to change it.

At least one good side effect. (:

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Terry
On 12/21/2017 5:11 AM On a whim, Frank pounded out on the keyboard

> MS pestering to make some sort of change with apps and the like that
> takes some time to do.  I turned it off and thought I'd ask here if
> others have done it and whether or not it is worth it.
>
> Thanks,
> Frank

What version of 10 are you running? The Fall Creators update 1709 is the
most current. Each build update is like a Service Pack update of Windows
as we used to know it.  So in those updates, features are added and
internal changes are done. Those are twice a year. In between those are
just security patches.

Terry

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Frank-32
On 12/21/2017 7:51 PM, Terry wrote:

> On 12/21/2017 5:11 AM On a whim, Frank pounded out on the keyboard
>
>> MS pestering to make some sort of change with apps and the like that
>> takes some time to do.  I turned it off and thought I'd ask here if
>> others have done it and whether or not it is worth it.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Frank
>
> What version of 10 are you running? The Fall Creators update 1709 is the
> most current. Each build update is like a Service Pack update of Windows
> as we used to know it.  So in those updates, features are added and
> internal changes are done. Those are twice a year. In between those are
> just security patches.
>
> Terry
It's 1703.  Guess next time they ask I'll let them do it.

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Frank-32
On 12/21/2017 8:01 PM, Frank wrote:

> On 12/21/2017 7:51 PM, Terry wrote:
>> On 12/21/2017 5:11 AM On a whim, Frank pounded out on the keyboard
>>
>>> MS pestering to make some sort of change with apps and the like that
>>> takes some time to do.  I turned it off and thought I'd ask here if
>>> others have done it and whether or not it is worth it.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Frank
>>
>> What version of 10 are you running? The Fall Creators update 1709 is
>> the most current. Each build update is like a Service Pack update of
>> Windows as we used to know it.  So in those updates, features are
>> added and internal changes are done. Those are twice a year. In
>> between those are just security patches.
>>
>> Terry
> It's 1703.  Guess next time they ask I'll let them do it.

Did the update.  Took 2.5 hours.  Does nothing extra I want.  I was
confused between the standard security one which happens frequently and
this one.  Nice to learn new things.

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Terry
On 12/22/2017 10:07 AM On a whim, Frank pounded out on the keyboard

> On 12/21/2017 8:01 PM, Frank wrote:
>> On 12/21/2017 7:51 PM, Terry wrote:
>>> On 12/21/2017 5:11 AM On a whim, Frank pounded out on the keyboard

>>> What version of 10 are you running? The Fall Creators update 1709 is
>>> the most current. Each build update is like a Service Pack update of
>>> Windows as we used to know it.  So in those updates, features are
>>> added and internal changes are done. Those are twice a year. In
>>> between those are just security patches.
>>>
>>> Terry
>> It's 1703.  Guess next time they ask I'll let them do it.
>
> Did the update.  Took 2.5 hours.  Does nothing extra I want.  I was
> confused between the standard security one which happens frequently and
> this one.  Nice to learn new things.

Since Windows 10 is the "last Windows version", all upgrades will be
applied using the Feature Updates. On most machines I admin, the update
took about an hour. I've liked some features (like being able to turn
off Background Apps with one slider button instead of having to check
each one individually, since I turn ALL of them off on user machines).
Others, like you found, really don't matter much.

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Frank-32
On 12/23/2017 1:39 PM, Terry wrote:

> On 12/22/2017 10:07 AM On a whim, Frank pounded out on the keyboard

>>> It's 1703.  Guess next time they ask I'll let them do it.
>>
>> Did the update.  Took 2.5 hours.  Does nothing extra I want.  I was
>> confused between the standard security one which happens frequently and
>> this one.  Nice to learn new things.
>
> Since Windows 10 is the "last Windows version", all upgrades will be
> applied using the Feature Updates. On most machines I admin, the update
> took about an hour. I've liked some features (like being able to turn
> off Background Apps with one slider button instead of having to check
> each one individually, since I turn ALL of them off on user machines).
> Others, like you found, really don't matter much.

I don't use 90% of their aps and don't have a microphone or camera on my
pc so I turn off most of their stuff.  MS is a PITA in wanting to embed
themselves into our lives.

Re: new Windows 10 update?

🐴 Mr. Ed 🐴
On 12/22/17 1:07 PM, Frank wrote:
[...]

Took 35 minutes.  Can't tell if it's any better, but Windows Defender is giving errors with DLL problems.  MS knows about the problem.

--
"This is America!  You can't make a horse
 testify against himself!"      Mister Ed

Re: new Windows 10 update?

GerardJan-8
Terry schreef op 23/12/2017 om 19:39:

> On 12/22/2017 10:07 AM On a whim, Frank pounded out on the keyboard

>>> It's 1703.  Guess next time they ask I'll let them do it.
>>
>> Did the update.  Took 2.5 hours.  Does nothing extra I want.  I was
>> confused between the standard security one which happens frequently and
>> this one.  Nice to learn new things.
>
> Since Windows 10 is the "last Windows version", all upgrades will be
> applied using the Feature Updates. On most machines I admin, the update
> took about an hour. I've liked some features (like being able to turn
> off Background Apps with one slider button instead of having to check
> each one individually, since I turn ALL of them off on user machines).
> Others, like you found, really don't matter much.

I have no problem with that under Window XP7

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Terry
On 12/23/2017 11:12 AM On a whim, Frank pounded out on the keyboard

> On 12/23/2017 1:39 PM, Terry wrote:

>>> Did the update.  Took 2.5 hours.  Does nothing extra I want.  I was
>>> confused between the standard security one which happens frequently and
>>> this one.  Nice to learn new things.
>> Since Windows 10 is the "last Windows version", all upgrades will be
>> applied using the Feature Updates. On most machines I admin, the update
>> took about an hour. I've liked some features (like being able to turn
>> off Background Apps with one slider button instead of having to check
>> each one individually, since I turn ALL of them off on user machines).
>> Others, like you found, really don't matter much.
>>

> I don't use 90% of their aps and don't have a microphone or camera on my
> pc so I turn off most of their stuff.  MS is a PITA in wanting to embed
> themselves into our lives.

They are really working to integrate cell/tablet and computer together,
so the apps and a lot of features are related to that. If you don't use
them, turn them off, and will save unnecessary resources being sucked up.

Re: new Windows 10 update?

Terry
On 12/23/2017 1:40 PM On a whim, Mr. Ed pounded out on the keyboard

> On 12/22/17 1:07 PM, Frank wrote:

>>> It's 1703.  Guess next time they ask I'll let them do it.
>>
>> Did the update.  Took 2.5 hours.  Does nothing extra I want.  I was
>> confused between the standard security one which happens frequently
>> and this one.  Nice to learn new things.
>
> Took 35 minutes.  Can't tell if it's any better, but Windows Defender is
> giving errors with DLL problems.  MS knows about the problem.
>
> --
> "This is America!  You can't make a horse
>   testify against himself!"      Mister Ed

Interesting. Haven't had that issue come up. See if this link doesn't help.
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/protect/forum/protect_defender-protect_scanning-windows_10/windows-defender/5df86e81-a137-434f-a4cc-2d7672d753d7