new Netflix speed test

Lynn McGuire
new Netflix speed test
    https://fast.com/

Lynn

Re: new Netflix speed test

WaltS48-3
On 05/20/2016 01:28 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> new Netflix speed test
>    https://fast.com/
>
> Lynn

Faster on the comparison site.

6.2 Mbps on Netflix
6.46 Mbps on Speedtest.
6.62 Mbps on Speedtest testing with a server in Africa.

Re: new Netflix speed test

David E. Ross-3
On 5/20/2016 10:28 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> new Netflix speed test
>     https://fast.com/
>
> Lynn

Over what path does this test?  Other speed tests allow me to choose the
server at the other end of the path.

--
David E. Ross
<http://www.rossde.com/>.

Donald Trump claims he is a successful businessman.
If so, how does he explain the number of his
enterprises that have gone bankrupt?

Re: new Netflix speed test

John McGaw-2
On 5/20/2016 2:42 PM, David E. Ross wrote:

> On 5/20/2016 10:28 AM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> new Netflix speed test
>>     https://fast.com/
>>
>> Lynn
>>

> Over what path does this test?  Other speed tests allow me to choose the
> server at the other end of the path.

One would assume, given that this is Netflix, that the server would be at
Netflix (wherever that might be in the real world).

Re: new Netflix speed test

John McGaw-2
On 5/20/2016 1:28 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> new Netflix speed test
>    https://fast.com/
>
> Lynn

I was pretty sure that this test was bogus the first time I used it. The
result came back with 23-24MB/S which clearly was not what I'm used to with
my AT&T Uverse connection. Later I checked and got 18MB/S. On another
occasion I came up with 12-13MB/S. Clearly defective results. Then it hit
me that there was a direct correlation with the TV streams and that each HD
stream was eating 5MB/S. The first time no receivers were on; on the second
just one; on the third both receivers were working. I guess the lesson is
that if I want do do big downloads I need to turn off the TV receivers.
Sadly uploads, which fast.com does not measure, are still pathetically slow...

Re: new Netflix speed test

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 20/05/2016 18:28, Lynn McGuire wrote:
> new Netflix speed test
>    https://fast.com/
>
> Lynn

OK I get this:

Speed-Test
<http://content.screencast.com/users/JT19560819/folders/Jing/media/700cf546-103b-400a-be49-44c479f32699/2016-05-20_2123.png>

Now what can I do with it?

Re: new Netflix speed test

Mike Easter-2
David E. Ross wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> new Netflix speed test
>>      https://fast.com/
>
> Over what path does this test?  Other speed tests allow me to choose the
> server at the other end of the path.

Disclaimer: I'm guessing from watching it 'work'.

I think the site uses 'various' paths/servers with different
rates/values, then gives a 'cumulative' value.

Sometimes along the way I get a failure type message suggesting that
maybe I'm not connected to the internet (for that particular server, but
after several different values have been obtained).

SpeedTest, for which fast gives a link to compare after its conclusion
has a different philosophy.  It wants to find the 'fastest' connection,
so it uses pings to establish a network-wise 'near' server and then runs
its tests on that one server.  Then you can pick another/different to test.

--
Mike Easter

Re: new Netflix speed test

Mike Easter-2
Good Guy wrote:
> OK I get this:
>
> Speed-Test
> <33 Mbps>
>
> Now what can I do with it?

Run it again.  And again.  And again.

And, from time to time click the compare on speedtest.net button.

I don't think fast.com is 'bogus'; I think it is measuring what it is
designed to measure, which isn't exactly what you want to know, but a
particular facet or angle or view of what you want.

--
Mike Easter

Re: new Netflix speed test

😉 Good Guy 😉
On 20/05/2016 22:45, Mike Easter wrote:

> Good Guy wrote:
>> OK I get this:
>>
>> Speed-Test
>> <33 Mbps>
>>
>> Now what can I do with it?
>>
> Run it again.  And again.  And again.

Dunno.

New Test
<http://content.screencast.com/users/JT19560819/folders/Jing/media/8bb2585b-bcae-4d6a-89b4-eb22a213d5c3/2016-05-20_2302.png>

Can't believe this is true.

Re: new Netflix speed test

Ron Hunter
On 5/20/2016 3:12 PM, John McGaw wrote:

> On 5/20/2016 1:28 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> new Netflix speed test
>>    https://fast.com/
>>
>> Lynn
>
> I was pretty sure that this test was bogus the first time I used it. The
> result came back with 23-24MB/S which clearly was not what I'm used to
> with my AT&T Uverse connection. Later I checked and got 18MB/S. On
> another occasion I came up with 12-13MB/S. Clearly defective results.
> Then it hit me that there was a direct correlation with the TV streams
> and that each HD stream was eating 5MB/S. The first time no receivers
> were on; on the second just one; on the third both receivers were
> working. I guess the lesson is that if I want do do big downloads I need
> to turn off the TV receivers. Sadly uploads, which fast.com does not
> measure, are still pathetically slow...

The lesson is that if you want t a speed test to mean something, you
MUST assure that the only thing using your bandwidth is the SPEED TEST.
Duh!

Re: new Netflix speed test

Ron Hunter
On 5/20/2016 12:55 PM, WaltS48 wrote:

> On 05/20/2016 01:28 PM, Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> new Netflix speed test
>>    https://fast.com/
>>
>> Lynn
>

> Faster on the comparison site.
>
> 6.2 Mbps on Netflix
> 6.46 Mbps on Speedtest.
> 6.62 Mbps on Speedtest testing with a server in Africa.
66 ib Netflix.  66 on Speedtest.net.

Re: new Netflix speed test

Daniel
On 21/05/2016 8:04 AM, Good Guy wrote:

> On 20/05/2016 22:45, Mike Easter wrote:
>> Good Guy wrote:
>>> OK I get this:
>>>
>>> Speed-Test
>>> <33 Mbps>
>>>
>>> Now what can I do with it?
>>>
>> Run it again.  And again.  And again.
>>

> Dunno.
>
> New Test
> <http://content.screencast.com/users/JT19560819/folders/Jing/media/8bb2585b-bcae-4d6a-89b4-eb22a213d5c3/2016-05-20_2302.png>
>

> Can't believe this is true.

You're paying good money for this connection, aren't you, Good Guy??
Just getting the performance you deserve!! ;-P

--
Daniel

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:43.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.40 Build identifier: 20160120202951
or
User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (X11; Linux x86_64; rv:41.0) Gecko/20100101
SeaMonkey/2.38 Build identifier: 20150903203501

Re: new Netflix speed test

PietB
John McGaw wrote:
> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>> new Netflix speed test
>>    https://fast.com/
>
> I was pretty sure that this test was bogus the first time I used it.
> The result came back with 23-24MB/S

That boils down to some 200 Mbit/s. Pretty amazing.

-p

Re: new Netflix speed test

Stormin' Norman
On Sat, 21 May 2016 18:26:32 +0200, PietB <[hidden email]> wrote:

>John McGaw wrote:
>> Lynn McGuire wrote:
>>> new Netflix speed test
>>>    https://fast.com/
>>
>> I was pretty sure that this test was bogus the first time I used it.
>> The result came back with 23-24MB/S
>
>That boils down to some 200 Mbit/s. Pretty amazing.
>
>-p

Here, fast.com is reporting speeds in Mb/s.  I suspect the speed he reported was a typo.

Re: new Netflix speed test

John McGaw-2
On 5/21/2016 12:30 PM, Stormin' Norman wrote:

> On Sat, 21 May 2016 18:26:32 +0200, PietB <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> John McGaw wrote:
>>>
>>> I was pretty sure that this test was bogus the first time I used it.
>>> The result came back with 23-24MB/S
>>
>> That boils down to some 200 Mbit/s. Pretty amazing.
>>
>> -p
>
> Here, fast.com is reporting speeds in Mb/s.  I suspect the speed he reported was a typo.

Yes, I didn't pay attention to upper vs. lower case 'B' while editing.
Sorry. To me, seeing even 24Mb/s over what is essentially plain old DSL
over 1959-vintage copper is pretty amazing in itself.

Re: new Netflix speed test

PietB
John McGaw wrote:
> To me, seeing even 24Mb/s over what is essentially plain old DSL
> over 1959-vintage copper is pretty amazing in itself.

DSL technology too is getting better: ADSL-ADSL2-VDSL-VDSL2.
I'm getting 40 Mb/s over what is still copper phone cable.

-p

Re: new Netflix speed test

Terry
On 5/20/2016 10:28 AM On a whim, Lynn McGuire pounded out on the keyboard

> new Netflix speed test
>      https://fast.com/
>
> Lynn

230 Mbps here

Re: new Netflix speed test

Mark12547
In article <[hidden email]>,
[hidden email] says...
> Over what path does this test?  Other speed tests allow me to choose the
> server at the other end of the path.

When one clicks on the ? on the https://fast.com/ page it reveals a FAQ
that doubles the page length and this FAQ entry may help:

> How is the download speed calculated?
> To calculate the download speed, Fast.com performs a series of
> downloads from Netflix servers.

A "speedtest" tests the whole path from the PC to the server it is
accessing, so anything along that path (including the particular server
it connects to and possibly an overloaded peering connection) could
reduce the reported throughput. http://www.speedtest.net/ uses one set
of servers, http://speedtest.xfinity.com/ use another set of servers at
other locations, and https://fast.com/ use yet another set of servers at
yet other locations, so these three tests are using separate servers and
the routing to them is most likely different, so different results are
quite reasonable.

Comcast claims my package with them has a specified target download
speed of 105 Mbps and a target upload speed of 10 Mbps. Usually
Speedtest (both speedtest.net and speedtest.xfinity.com) shows faster
speeds. The throughput the speedtests show vary throughout the day,
usually reporting slower numbers during "prime time" and weekends than
during a workday or after midnight.

At about 11:50-11:56pm Friday night my numbers are:

Down     Up     Server
Mbps    Mbps
105     10      What Comcast says I am paying for.
143.02  12.30   http://www.speedtest.net/ (only IPv4)
135.81  12.24   http://speedtest.xfinity.com/  (IPv4)
123.74  11.99   http://speedtest.xfinity.com/  (IPv6)
 96      n/a    https://fast.com/   (apparently IPv4)

If I get 5Mbps to Netflix I can stream HD, which is all I really need
when streaming a movie to my 1080p TV. Having 19 times 5Mbps should give
a bit of a breathing space.