netscape based?

Daniel Brandes
Does anybody know if firefox is based on netscape like the mozilla
suite? I guess it is - like opera and so on.

Re: netscape based?

Philip Withnall
Firefox is based on Mozilla (they use the same rendering engine: Gecko),
which was originally developed at Netscape. Firefox is not directly
based on Netscape however. (In fact, quite the reverse is true, with the
latest version of Netscape being based on Firefox, and incorporating
other "technology" such as Internet Explorer.)
Can somebody who is actually a Mozilla employee please correct me if I'm
wrong; I wasn't around to witness most of this stuff happen. :-P

Daniel Brandes wrote:
> Does anybody know if firefox is based on netscape like the mozilla
> suite? I guess it is - like opera and so on.

Re: netscape based?

Matt Nordhoff
On 04/24/06 10:26, Daniel Brandes wrote:
> Does anybody know if firefox is based on netscape like the mozilla
> suite? I guess it is - like opera and so on.

Netscape*, Firefox, and the Mozilla Suite (and Thunderbird, and
SeaMonkey, and Camino, and numerous other browsers [1] and a few other
things) are based on the Gecko rendering engine. Opera uses its own, Presto.

* Netscape Browser 8 can also use IE's engine, Trident.

[1]_<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_browsers#Gecko-based_browsers>
____<http://snurl.com/pm27>
--
Matt Nordhoff
(aka Peng on IRC & the forums)

Re: netscape based?

Christian Biesinger
Daniel Brandes wrote:
> Does anybody know if firefox is based on netscape like the mozilla
> suite? I guess it is - like opera and so on.

Hm? Opera is totally unrelated to Netscape and Mozilla.

Re: netscape based?

Daniel Brandes
Christian Biesinger schrieb:
> Daniel Brandes wrote:
>> Does anybody know if firefox is based on netscape like the mozilla
>> suite? I guess it is - like opera and so on.
>
> Hm? Opera is totally unrelated to Netscape and Mozilla.
Really? I've heard that they're using the same rendering engine. Seems
if I've been fooled.
Anyway, thanks a lot...

Re: netscape based?

gwtc-4
Daniel Brandes wrote:

> Does anybody know if firefox is based on netscape like the mozilla
> suite? I guess it is - like opera and so on.
Netscape 7.2 is based on Mozilla 1.7.2.  Netscape is always based on
Mozilla.  Firefox and Thunderbird is based on Mozilla.  Netscape 8.x
is based on Firefox with added stuff.

You can get more info from here: http://ilias.ca/mozilla/bigpicture/

--
Things to Ponder about: If the professor on Gilligan's Island can make
a radio out of a coconut, why can't he fix a hole in a boat?

Re: netscape based?

Daniel Brandes
gwtc schrieb:

> Daniel Brandes wrote:
>
>> Does anybody know if firefox is based on netscape like the mozilla
>> suite? I guess it is - like opera and so on.
> Netscape 7.2 is based on Mozilla 1.7.2.  Netscape is always based on
> Mozilla.  Firefox and Thunderbird is based on Mozilla.  Netscape 8.x is
> based on Firefox with added stuff.
>
> You can get more info from here: http://ilias.ca/mozilla/bigpicture/

Thank you. Very nice.

Re: netscape based?

Christian Biesinger
Daniel Brandes wrote:
> Christian Biesinger schrieb:
>> Hm? Opera is totally unrelated to Netscape and Mozilla.
> Really? I've heard that they're using the same rendering engine. Seems
> if I've been fooled.
> Anyway, thanks a lot...

No, it uses its own engine, called Presto I believe.

Re: netscape based?

Jay Garcia
On 24.04.2006 10:44, Philip Withnall wrote:

> Firefox is based on Mozilla (they use the same rendering engine: Gecko),
> which was originally developed at Netscape. Firefox is not directly
> based on Netscape however. (In fact, quite the reverse is true, with the
> latest version of Netscape being based on Firefox, and incorporating
> other "technology" such as Internet Explorer.)
> Can somebody who is actually a Mozilla employee please correct me if I'm
> wrong; I wasn't around to witness most of this stuff happen. :-P
>
> Daniel Brandes wrote:
>> Does anybody know if firefox is based on netscape like the mozilla
>> suite? I guess it is - like opera and so on.

Please bottom post, thanks.

Netscape 8 from "day one" is sourced on Firefox 1.0 foundation code.

--
Jay Garcia Netscape/Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org