mzfntcfgft_infinality_b2.zip

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
7 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

mzfntcfgft_infinality_b2.zip

Dave Yeo-3
I've uploaded a new build of freetype with the infinality patches
applied. Also I've included 2 alternative builds of fntcfg2.dll with
different default fonts based on Linux and Windows as well as includng
Lewis's cmd file.
Feedback welcome.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mzfntcfgft_infinality_b2.zip

Alex Taylor
On Sun, 19 May 2013 04:12:08 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've uploaded a new build of freetype with the infinality patches
> applied. Also I've included 2 alternative builds of fntcfg2.dll with
> different default fonts based on Linux and Windows as well as includng
> Lewis's cmd file.

Looks good here, with (newly-installed) 2.7.2/10.0.12.  Incidentally, this is
the first time I've tried using a post-2.1 build since over a year ago, when
I previously complained about irregular font spacing.  That problem seems to
have disappeared now, though whether it's due to the infinality patches or
more general Freetype changes since then I don't know.

One thing I do note: "fake" bold fonts (that is, simulated bolds created when
the actual font doesn't have a Bold version) no longer seem to work.

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.altsan.org

Please take off hat when replying.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mzfntcfgft_infinality_b2.zip

Dave Yeo-3
Alex Taylor wrote:

> On Sun, 19 May 2013 04:12:08 UTC, Dave Yeo<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>> I've uploaded a new build of freetype with the infinality patches
>> applied. Also I've included 2 alternative builds of fntcfg2.dll with
>> different default fonts based on Linux and Windows as well as includng
>> Lewis's cmd file.
>
> Looks good here, with (newly-installed) 2.7.2/10.0.12.  Incidentally, this is
> the first time I've tried using a post-2.1 build since over a year ago, when
> I previously complained about irregular font spacing.  That problem seems to
> have disappeared now, though whether it's due to the infinality patches or
> more general Freetype changes since then I don't know.
>
> One thing I do note: "fake" bold fonts (that is, simulated bolds created when
> the actual font doesn't have a Bold version) no longer seem to work.
>

Really the infinality freetype patchset is meant to be used in
conjunction with the real fontconfig using the infinality fontconfig
settings package. Looking in that package it does look like it is
supposed to handle artifical bold fonts so quite possibly it is related
to the patchset.
Did you look at the cmd file? It does have a disabled setting which
turns of most of the infinality stuff except for sub-pixel hinting.
Dave

_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mzfntcfgft_infinality_b2.zip

Dave Yeo-3
In reply to this post by Alex Taylor
Alex Taylor wrote:
> One thing I do note: "fake" bold fonts (that is, simulated bolds created when
> the actual font doesn't have a Bold version) no longer seem to work.

When did they work? Quickly testing here, they don't seem to work with
stock Freetype, both ver 2.4.11 and 2.4.12 and stock fntcfg2.
At least with Andale Mono. Most of my fonts seem to have a bold version.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mzfntcfgft_infinality_b2.zip

Alex Taylor
On Tue, 21 May 2013 04:52:57 UTC, Dave Yeo <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > One thing I do note: "fake" bold fonts (that is, simulated bolds created
> > when the actual font doesn't have a Bold version) no longer seem to work.
>
> When did they work? Quickly testing here, they don't seem to work with
> stock Freetype, both ver 2.4.11 and 2.4.12 and stock fntcfg2.
> At least with Andale Mono. Most of my fonts seem to have a bold version.

They certainly work Firefox 10.0.0.11 (included in eCS 2.2 beta), which I use
for a few things.

Quite a number of my fonts (including my default serif font) don't have
native bold versions installed, so I notice it. :)

--
Alex Taylor
http://www.altsan.org

Please take off hat when replying.
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mzfntcfgft_infinality_b2.zip

Dave Yeo-3
Alex Taylor wrote:

> On Tue, 21 May 2013 04:52:57 UTC, Dave Yeo<[hidden email]>  wrote:
>
>>> One thing I do note: "fake" bold fonts (that is, simulated bolds created
>>> when the actual font doesn't have a Bold version) no longer seem to work.
>>
>> When did they work? Quickly testing here, they don't seem to work with
>> stock Freetype, both ver 2.4.11 and 2.4.12 and stock fntcfg2.
>> At least with Andale Mono. Most of my fonts seem to have a bold version.
>
> They certainly work Firefox 10.0.0.11 (included in eCS 2.2 beta), which I use
> for a few things.
>
> Quite a number of my fonts (including my default serif font) don't have
> native bold versions installed, so I notice it. :)
>

Strange as mzfntcfgft is the same version between 10.0.11 and 10.0.12.
The only change I made was adding a missing export and linking against
the import libs instead of the static libs.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: mzfntcfgft_infinality_b2.zip

Dave Yeo-3
On 05/21/13 07:18 pm, Dave Yeo wrote:

> Alex Taylor wrote:
>> On Tue, 21 May 2013 04:52:57 UTC, Dave Yeo<[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>>> One thing I do note: "fake" bold fonts (that is, simulated bolds
>>>> created
>>>> when the actual font doesn't have a Bold version) no longer seem to
>>>> work.
>>>
>>> When did they work? Quickly testing here, they don't seem to work with
>>> stock Freetype, both ver 2.4.11 and 2.4.12 and stock fntcfg2.
>>> At least with Andale Mono. Most of my fonts seem to have a bold version.
>>
>> They certainly work Firefox 10.0.0.11 (included in eCS 2.2 beta),
>> which I use
>> for a few things.
>>
>> Quite a number of my fonts (including my default serif font) don't have
>> native bold versions installed, so I notice it. :)
>>
>
> Strange as mzfntcfgft is the same version between 10.0.11 and 10.0.12.
> The only change I made was adding a missing export and linking against
> the import libs instead of the static libs.
> Dave

Actually I'm wrong, there were changes between the 2 versions including
a freetype update. I notice in the changelog from 2.4.12 a reference to
fixing emboldening at small sizes. Silvan also made a few minor changes
to fontconfig and redid the build system.
Dave
_______________________________________________
dev-ports-os2 mailing list
[hidden email]
https://lists.mozilla.org/listinfo/dev-ports-os2