mozilla xforms 0.8.0.3 doesn't recognize instance

mozilla xforms 0.8.0.3 doesn't recognize instance

carl.ray
(using Firefox 2.0.0.4)
I have a pretty good sized xforms app that works just great in mozilla
xforms 0.8.0.1 but when I upgraded to 0.8.0.3 it doesn't recognize my
external instances. I backed down to 0.8.0.2 just to see what would
happen, and it didn't recognize my switch/cases.  How can something go
from working great to being completely broken?  Backing down to
0.8.0.1, everthing works great again.
I don't even know how to begin to solve this problem. Any clues to get
me started?

Re: mozilla xforms 0.8.0.3 doesn't recognize instance

Steve Speicher
You'll need to upgrade your Firefox to at least 2.0.0.5.  See
http://groups.google.com/group/mozilla.dev.tech.xforms/msg/c2dd4e927563079f

-- Steve

> (using Firefox 2.0.0.4)
> I have a pretty good sized xforms app that works just great in mozilla
> xforms 0.8.0.1 but when I upgraded to 0.8.0.3 it doesn't recognize my
> external instances. I backed down to 0.8.0.2 just to see what would
> happen, and it didn't recognize my switch/cases.  How can something go
> from working great to being completely broken?  Backing down to
> 0.8.0.1, everthing works great again.
> I don't even know how to begin to solve this problem. Any clues to get
> me started?

Re: mozilla xforms 0.8.0.3 doesn't recognize instance

Dan McCreary
On Aug 29, 9:05 pm, [hidden email] wrote:
> (using Firefox 2.0.0.4)
> I have a pretty good sized xforms app that works just great in mozilla
> xforms 0.8.0.1 but when I upgraded to 0.8.0.3 it doesn't recognize my
> external instances. I backed down to 0.8.0.2 just to see what would
> happen, and it didn't recognize my switch/cases.  How can something go
> from working great to being completely broken?  Backing down to
> 0.8.0.1, everthing works great again.
> I don't even know how to begin to solve this problem. Any clues to get
> me started?

Can you run any of the simple "hello world" demos?:

http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/01-intro/01.hello-world/01-hello-world.xhtml

We are all running the 2.0.0.6 version of FireFox and the 8.0.3
extension and are not having any problems although if you don't used
the exact combination of the right browser with the right extension
these symptoms do occur.

- Dan

Re: mozilla xforms 0.8.0.3 doesn't recognize instance

Stefano Debenedetti
Dan McCreary ha scritto:
> We are all running the 2.0.0.6 version of FireFox and the 8.0.3
> extension and are not having any problems although if you don't used
> the exact combination of the right browser with the right extension
> these symptoms do occur.
>
> - Dan

Sorry for the silly question but: where can I download the 8.0.3 extension that will work with 2.0.0.6 ?

thanks ciao
ste

Re: mozilla xforms 0.8.0.3 doesn't recognize instance

Steve Speicher
Just go to the addons page for it:

You can even click on "Version History" to get older versions, if needed.

-- Steve

Steve Speicher ha scritto:
> Just go to the addons page for it:
>
> You can even click on "Version History" to get older versions, if needed.
>
> -- Steve

Thanks!

(hadn't seen the link on the download page, maybe making it bigger would help? the whole page looks more dedicated to letting people know this is experimental software rather than helping them downloading it and trying it out, this impression also comes from feedback I had from people I pointed to this page in the past)

As for the nighly builds, even though the download page points you at:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/latest-trunk

they actually do live here:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/

and, like the download page implies, you have to *look for* a subfolder there containing *both* the firefox installer *and* the xpi installer for the platform you need.

For example this folder contains both windows and linux xpis:

ftp://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/nightly/2007-08-30-03-mozilla1.8

Thanks Steve and john-l, ciao
ste

On Aug 30, 7:54 pm, Dan McCreary <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Aug 29, 9:05 pm, [hidden email] wrote:
>
> > (using Firefox 2.0.0.4)
> > I have a pretty good sized xforms app that works just great in mozilla
> > xforms 0.8.0.1 but when I upgraded to 0.8.0.3 it doesn't recognize my
> > external instances. I backed down to 0.8.0.2 just to see what would
> > happen, and it didn't recognize my switch/cases.  How can something go
> > from working great to being completely broken?  Backing down to
> > 0.8.0.1, everthing works great again.
> > I don't even know how to begin to solve this problem. Any clues to get
> > me started?
>
> Can you run any of the simple "hello world" demos?:
>
> http://xforms-examples.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/01-intro/01.hello-wor...
>
> We are all running the 2.0.0.6 version of FireFox and the 8.0.3
> extension and are not having any problems although if you don't used
> the exact combination of the right browser with the right extension
> these symptoms do occur.
>
> - Dan

Obviously, the first thing I need to do is upgrade my Firefox!  Why I
didn't think of that? I'll do that right now and get back with you
all. (have to do it manually cause I'm running ubuntu dapper).

Re: mozilla xforms 0.8.0.3 doesn't recognize instance

carl.ray
On Aug 30, 7:54 pm, Dan McCreary <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Aug 29, 9:05 pm, [hidden email] wrote:

> We are all running the 2.0.0.6 version of FireFox and the 8.0.3
> extension and are not having any problems although if you don't used
> the exact combination of the right browser with the right extension
> these symptoms do occur.
>
> - Dan

Glory be, and hallelujah!  So far everything seems to be doing a-OK.
upgraded to 2.0.0.6 and 8.0.3

Re: mozilla xforms 0.8.0.3 doesn't recognize instance

Chris Gamache
> Glory be, and hallelujah!  So far everything seems to be doing a-OK.
> upgraded to 2.0.0.6 and 8.0.3

Oddness surrounds me today! I'm running 2.0.0.6 and 0.8.0.3 and
instance won't work for me! It could be syntax-oriented since I
haven't gotten this to work before:

    xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"
    xmlns:xf="http://www.w3.org/2002/xforms"

    <head>
        <title>Instance Test</title>
        <xf:model>
            <xf:instance xmlns="" id="first-instance">
                <foo>bar</foo>
            </xf:instance>
            <xf:instance xmlns="" id="second-instance">
                <foo2>bar2</foo2>
            </xf:instance>
        </xf:model>

    </head>
        <xf:output ref="instance('first-instance')/foo" /><br />
        <xf:output ref="instance('second-instance')/foo2" /><br />

I get nothing. Related problem? I don't know. What a terrible day I'm
having! Any help will be met with thanks.

CG

Re: mozilla xforms 0.8.0.3 doesn't recognize instance

Aaron Reed
Hi CG,

I don't believe that this will work on any processor.  Your binding
expressions are wrong.  instance('xxx') will return the documentElement
(root element) of the xxx instance document.  instance('xxx')/foo used
in a single node binding expression will return the first foo node under
the documentElement/root element.

So if you change your expressions to use
ref="instance('first-instance')" and ref="instance('second-instance')",
I think you'll get what you want.

--Aaron

On Sep 13, 5:51 pm, Aaron Reed <[hidden email]> wrote:

> So if you change your expressions to use
> ref="instance('first-instance')" and ref="instance('second-instance')",
> I think you'll get what you want.

Indeed. Even though I looked at (at least) a dozen examples of
instance() and even though it says the same thing, plain as day, in
the Dubinko book, it didn't click until you said it! Yesterday was a
bad day. Today, things are looking up! Many thanks.

CG