modutil add module "ActiveClient" gives error "error 193" (win10)

modutil add module "ActiveClient" gives error "error 193" (win10)

Marjan Savli
I would like to simplify adding USB ActiveClient Reader into Firefox on
win10.
I already managed to make a batch file to simplify importing our 6
certificates into Firefox.

Manually I would do this step by step after this manual: https://www.
creaplus.si/faq/72-activclient-v-brskalniku-firefox
And if I manually add acpkcs211.dll the result is:

=========
bin\modutil.exe -dbdir %Mapa% -list

Listing of PKCS #11 Modules
  1. NSS Internal PKCS #11 Module
         slots: 2 slots attached
        status: loaded

         slot: NSS Internal Cryptographic Services
        token: NSS Generic Crypto Services

         slot: NSS User Private Key and Certificate Services
        token: NSS Certificate DB

  2. ActiveCard
        library name: C:\Program Files\ActivIdentity\ActivClient\acpkcs211.
dll
         slots: There are no slots attached to this module
        status: Not loaded
=========

But when I try the same action with modutil, the result is "error 193".

=========
bin\modutil.exe -dbdir %Mapa% -add "ActiveClient" -libfile "c:\Program
Files\ActivIdentity\ActivClient\acpkcs211.dll"

WARNING: Performing this operation while the browser is running could cause
corruption of your security databases. If the browser is currently running,
you should exit browser before continuing this operation. Type
'q <enter>' to abort, or <enter> to continue:

Using database directory
C:\Users\UserUE\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ib42fuyl.default...
ERROR: Failed to add module "ActiveClient". Probable cause : "error 193".
=========

I can not find any description of this error.
Some help is appreciated.
Thanks.

Re: modutil add module "ActiveClient" gives error "error 193" (win10)

Robert Relyea
On 08/03/2016 12:30 AM, Marjan Savli wrote:

> I would like to simplify adding USB ActiveClient Reader into Firefox on
> win10.
> I already managed to make a batch file to simplify importing our 6
> certificates into Firefox.
>
> Manually I would do this step by step after this manual: https://www.
> creaplus.si/faq/72-activclient-v-brskalniku-firefox
> And if I manually add acpkcs211.dll the result is:
>
> =========
> bin\modutil.exe -dbdir %Mapa% -list
>
> Listing of PKCS #11 Modules
>    1. NSS Internal PKCS #11 Module
>           slots: 2 slots attached
>          status: loaded
>
>           slot: NSS Internal Cryptographic Services
>          token: NSS Generic Crypto Services
>
>           slot: NSS User Private Key and Certificate Services
>          token: NSS Certificate DB
>
>    2. ActiveCard
>          library name: C:\Program Files\ActivIdentity\ActivClient\acpkcs211.
> dll
>           slots: There are no slots attached to this module
>          status: Not loaded
> =========
>

> But when I try the same action with modutil, the result is "error 193".
>
> =========
> bin\modutil.exe -dbdir %Mapa% -add "ActiveClient" -libfile "c:\Program
> Files\ActivIdentity\ActivClient\acpkcs211.dll"
>
> WARNING: Performing this operation while the browser is running could cause
> corruption of your security databases. If the browser is currently running,
> you should exit browser before continuing this operation. Type
> 'q <enter>' to abort, or <enter> to continue:
>
> Using database directory
> C:\Users\UserUE\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\ib42fuyl.default...
> ERROR: Failed to add module "ActiveClient". Probable cause : "error 193".
Weird 193 isn't an NSS error. NSS errors are all negative and quite
large (like -8120). The string is coming from PR_Error(), so it may be
an NSPR error trying to load the library, or a libc error NSPR is
passing off to us that it can't translate.

The syntax looks fine. It looks like it looks like it's getting the
correct database.  (I'm presuming you aren't trying to add it to a
database you've already added). I wonder if the tools are choking on the
windows '\'. They shouldn't, but it's possible. Maybe try using unix
style '/'.?

bob

smime.p7s (5K) Download Attachment

Re: modutil add module "ActiveClient" gives error "error 193" (win10)

Marjan Savli
Regarldes of '\' or '/' I got the same result. Even tried with '\/', but
got same result.
I even changed place of acpkcs211.dll to avoid space in "Program Files",
but no help.

Maybe I use old modutil? It is dated in 2005.
I got them here:
nspr:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/nspr/releases/v4.6/WINNT5.0_OPT.OBJ/nspr-4.6.zip
nss:
https://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/security/nss/releases/NSS_3_11_RTM/WINNT5.0_OPT.OBJ/

But this is the last binary version, that was made for WIN. I do not know
why this is not updated?

Partial and manual solution is to open Firefox and press CRTL+V, to avoid
clicking to a proper directory.
-------
echo C:\Program Files\ActivIdentity\ActivClient\acpkcs211.dll| clip
echo      Pres CTRL+V  in window Advanced
timeout /t 5 /nobreak > NUL
START "" %FIREFOX% about:preferences#advanced
%FIREFOX% about:preferences#advanced
-------

My batch file is:

======
bin\modutil.exe -dbdir
C:/Users/UserUE/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/dkuft69t.default
-add "AC" -libfile "c:/Temp/Firefox/acpkcs211.dll"
bin\modutil.exe -dbdir
C:/Users/UserUE/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/dkuft69t.default
-list
======

or with changed '/'

====
bin\modutil.exe -dbdir
C:\Users\UserUE\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\dkuft69t.default
-add "AC" -libfile "c:\Temp\Firefox\acpkcs211.dll"
bin\modutil.exe -dbdir
C:\Users\UserUE\AppData\Roaming\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\dkuft69t.default
-list
====

and the result is the same:

==========
WARNING: Performing this operation while the browser is running could cause
corruption of your security databases. If the browser is currently running,
you should exit browser before continuing this operation. Type
'q <enter>' to abort, or <enter> to continue:
Using database directory
C:/Users/UserUE/AppData/Roaming/Mozilla/Firefox/Profiles/dkuft69t.default...
ERROR: Failed to add module "AC". Probable cause : "error 193".
Using database directory
[...]

        tel:    +386 (0)4 5121 377